COMBATSIM Forum

photo tribute to a great aviator who made his last take off.

I made this post on the UBI GD forum, and I thought some of you might find it interesting

as well. Lots of photos of an interesting aviation career and some pretty grim

determination. I hope this link works...it has so far.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...83/m/9701099064

If you saw the movie "Apollo 13", there was a scene in which Jim Lovell's mother (well played

by Ron Howard's mom) says in response to the events of the time - "they could put wings

on a washing machine, and my Jimmy could fly it." Well, he was one of those kinda guys.

Since most of you guys tend to like aircraft and there are relatively few pacifists among you

(unlike some stuff Ive seen on other sim forums-go figure), I thought you might find

my dad's aviation career interesting. He flew everything from J-3s to T-37s, from Ultra-lights

to Cobra gunships.

No need for violins etc, just thought u might find an aviator's life to be interesting.

Your Dad led a life that many strive for but few attain! God bless him,I'd bet he's giving St Peter a hard time already!

Thanks guys-I know he would be very flattered. Hey Old Guy, That's cool. You very well may have

talked to him at that time. THat photo of the TH-13 was taken at Shell field in 66, with his very first

Iranian student, lt Rooipour. 9 yrs later when he arrived at Tehran airport, MAJ Rooipour was there

to meet him.

He taught instruments in the Bell, and he saw a midair occur very close to his posit one day, and he

had a tape of the radio transmisns as he was calling out Midair! midair!......pretty dramatic sounding.

The ATC guys were all over that tape (god i hope i can find all this

stuff). . 2 guys in one TH13 were

killed, but the other AC was landed by the student, since the instructor had his legs severed

by the other's rotor. Im not sure if that was in 66 or not, but close to then.

I think it was around that time that the Army had a pair of P-51s they were using as chase planes

in the AH-66 Cheyenne program....maybe a year or two later.

His name was James Gould, everyone called him Jim. His friends from the base, both civie and

army, were an interesting group of pretty outrageous people. Was kinda neat having stuff land

in the bean field behind our house sometimes. I still remember Billy Polley (a P-51 pilot in the 8th AF)

landing a huge Sikorsky CH-34 in the bean field to hand dad his lost RC model that had disapeared

the weekend before. He had overflown the area they had been flying, found and retrieved it, then

delivered it back to him. Life was like that around there. I just wish i had been into cameras

when i was a kid.

I was working at Hanchey when a couple TH-13s collided -- near Shell, I think. I can remember the call on Guard channel. Man, that was forty years ago. Had to be the fall of '66, because I worked training stagefields and gunnery ranges before that.

I only worked the Shell stagefield a couple times during the summer of '66. After I left in '67 they turned it into a regular airfield. Couple of my buddies were there when a pair of UH-1s collided (one autorotated into the other as it hovered down the runway). No fatalities. The crash crew guys saw the situation and were rolling before the pieces stopped falling. They had foam on the birds within seconds.

Hell. A trip down memory lane. :)

Remember all those pine trees at Rucker? Well, they're all 40-50 feet tall now. I couldn't recognize anything the last time I was there -- about 8-9 years ago.

I met my wife at Rucker. We'll celebrate forty years of tortur -- er, hello dear. Um -- nothing. Just telling how I met you at Rucker and how we'll celebrate forty years of wedded bliss soon. Yes, dear. Right away, dear.

;)

jim :thumbsup:

:rofl: Yeah, all my friends are "happily married" to....heh heh.

That was Definitely my Dad you heard calling it......i heard the tape and he was the first one, in

fact the closest by far, as he looked up just in time to see the impact. One other transmisn

he made was when too many ohter AC started showing up...."we're gonna have another one

if we don't get these spectators outta here". The ATC then told everyone else to clear out if i remember

correctly. Thats absolutely amazing that you heard all that :o .

He flew out of Hanchey later, mostly in TH-55s.

Yeah, i remember the pine trees. havent been there since the mid 70s. My dad took me to the museum

alot, which was pretty good back then-God knows how its equipped now. I remember one trip to

the excellent base book store we had to stop for a bunch of M-108 SP 105s crossing the rd.

my mother was in an archery club at the wildlife area of the base (or whatever it was called) and

I helped build one of the ranges in that jungle of woods. I also caught my first fish at that lake....was it

called Taiho or something like that? I loved the Zoo as a kid. The army had some stuff on that

base that was alot of fun.

and of course there was Enterprise and the boll weavel monument. Man the memories. I gotta get

back there when circumstances permit. Most of my dads friends are dead now, though there is

still one that shows up here sometimes. He used to fly in the army nat guard and would show up in

an OH-6 or somehting like a heliocourier, or even a skycrane into the 80s. I miss the sky full of beating

rotor blades. :)

here's another link to my squadron page for the hellhounds and the danger dogs. I posted some

more stuff from occupied japan, including some shots of P51s he made prints from as he

processed them in the photo lab, and some shots he made from a train passing thru Nagasaki.

Also a bunch of Cobra shots from Iran. Some detailed views of the weapons and forward gunsight.

http://forums.dangerdogz.com/viewtopic.php?t=506