COMBATSIM Forum

Interview with Oleg, re: Battle of Britain

There is too much emphasis on tiny details. They are apparently going to have individual damage models for ground objects. I fly almost all ground attack missions but I still think this is dumb. I can't see this tiny detail at 250mph !! I would be much more interested in making sure there were lots of planes in the air, smooth play, and better mid to long distance aircraft views. IMO this aspect is still better in EAW than IL-2

The article seemed to me to be a paen of glory to Oleg and His Works! What was interesting was his references to how much better it would be than IL-2! I didn't know I'd bought such a lousy Sim! I'll be waiting for a lot of comments before I even think of buying BoB with my FPS.

Dear Oleg,

Was rather interested in the interview you gave at SimHQ. A very interesting read indeed. Except I a few issues popped up as I was reading it...like it being good for movies and the like.

Oleg: Just occasional players will say this… and they will be able to decrease the detail level… However, the players that will model online battles will say otherwise… especially those that like to make movies like they can currently in the IL-2 series. Just imagine that these movies that show ground battles will look several times better than in IL-2.

I DON'T WANT TO MAKE ANY BLOODY MOVIES FROM THIS FLIGHT SIM. I DON'T WANT TO MAKE ANY BLOODY MOVIES FROM ANY BLOODY FLIGHT SIM. I WANT TO FLY A DECENT BLOODY SIM. NOT WATCH IT, FLY IT. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? A DECENT CAMPAIGN MODE, PROPER FLIGHT MODELS AND IMMERSION. NOT PRETTY BLOODY GRAPHICS WHICH ARE USELESS UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TO ENJOY IT. NO "OCCASIONAL PLAYER" WILL ACTUALLY PLAY IT BECAUSE YOU'LL NEED TOO MUCH GEAR TO RUN IT, YOU THICK HEADED TOOL.

I DON'T CARE HOW GOOD MY COCKPIT LOOKS. I WON'T BE LOOKING THERE WHEN A PLANE IS ATTACKING ME. AND I SAY 'A' PLANE IN THE SINGULAR SENSE BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO HAVE MORE THAN 2 AIRCRAFT IN THE AIR AT ONCE WITHOUT THE GAME STUTTERING BEYOND COMPREHENSION!

Do you play poker at all?

Best regards,

Greg.

Now Greg, quit beating around the bush and say what you REALLY think. :rofl:

I love the il2 series (although the constantly changing quality of the AI depending on what

patch you have is getting on my nerves), and will surely get BOB, but you got some good

points there. Alot of time was spent on il2 on some stuff that was kinda neat if you saw it on

some rare occaisn, while i think some other basic stuff needed improving.

I really dont see the point making the cockpits any better than the excellent standard they

are now.

Id rather have a few more ships than some of the little stuff. And I really do hope somebody takes

a look at how carrier planes were staggered on deck, and didnt have to make course corrections on

thier take off roll. Thats a bit lame.

Oleg can kiss my Rebel ..... if he thinks I'm spending another dime on one of his creations.

I'm not defending Oleg,but without his IL-2 I wouldn't be trying to fly with VMF124 on Saturday nites! Give the devil his due,guys,he did start a great Sim compared with what was available at the time.

Whiz,

The voice of reason you are :)

There's no doubt we've enjoyed many hundreds of hours together in this sim, and we have given Oleg his due. I have personally written many glowing reviews of IL-2 and what he has accomplished, but we just feel this sim could be a whole lot better if only he would 1) implement some of the obvious fixes / improvements to FMs, campaigns, and maps that we suggest; or 2) give end users the opportunity to create mods and add-ons.

It's a love / hate thing. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that rot.

:)

I agree with Paddles, it's a love-hate thing. Yeah, IL2 had and still has lots of potential, but now a bug gets introduced and the only way it gets fixed it through a paid patch that adds a map and an aircraft or two. Paying for new content is one thing, paying to fix something that a little attention to detail would have prevented is different. I'm watching BoB closely, we'll see if it becomes one paid patch every month or two to fix things. Good thing SF:P1, WoV, and WoE aren't like this. Yeah, three games, all paid, but different maps, campaigns, and aircraft and the atches for them are free. Oleg has repeatedly stated that he did not want to split the IL2 community, but when he started designing add-on's that were not intended to be released in the U.S., he dropped the ball. Paid patches are just nails in the coffin.

I hope BoB is a great sim, but so far it just looks like an eye candy show. I can go to a museum for that.

The price of three NO four games. Look, had he been so worried about his precious visuals as he claims, then there would not be blaring inaccuracies in his last. Now, granted he didn't want to do it, he was talked into letting somebody else do it, then was forced to "finish" it when it became clear the person responsible couldn't get it done. But God damnit, fix what you broke to begin with. Which is something he has tried to do, but then breaks something else in the process and now expects us to pay to have it broke again? No thanks.