COMBATSIM Forum

Best WWII Air Combat Game?

Hello, I'm new to this field of gaming and I recently bought Blazing Angels for PC for its multiplayer network. I haven't opened it yet because I'm not sure if this is the best game to start with and I don't even know if many ppl are available for online play. I've played Aces High but I cannot afford to pay monthly. Any suggestions?

Hello, I'm new to this field of gaming and I recently bought Blazing Angels for PC for its multiplayer network. I haven't opened it yet because I'm not sure if this is the best game to start with and I don't even know if many ppl are available for online play. I've played Aces High but I cannot afford to pay monthly. Any suggestions?

I recomend the ubi soft il2 series. lots of adons, but they just released the entire series in a dvd.

4 yrs of additions and adons, really a great sim. I fly both on and offline. its actually several sims

combined into just about all theaters of ww2. lots of user made cmpns etc. i suggest checking out the ubi

pacific fighters forums and watch all the bickering about it. I think its the best thing going as far as ww2.

I recomend the ubi soft il2 series. lots of adons, but they just released the entire series in a dvd.

4 yrs of additions and adons, really a great sim. I fly both on and offline. its actually several sims

combined into just about all theaters of ww2. lots of user made cmpns etc. i suggest checking out the ubi

pacific fighters forums and watch all the bickering about it. I think its the best thing going as far as ww2.

so il2 pacific fighters? i should check that out, including the expansion?

Welcome aboard!

As said, IL2 Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters in a "merged" install (all three, start with Forgotten Battles) for World War II. Or, since FB and AEP are out of print and hard to find, just get the newest version on DVD, it will give you the merged install and already patched to version 4.04. If you want to patch to 4.05, you have to buy that patch, only available online if you live in North America.

For Korea, Vietnam, or even more modern jet fighters, there is Strike Fighters:Project One, Wings Over Vietnam and Wings Over Europe. The avionics are not ultra complicated (Vietnam era and earlier jets just didn't have complicated systems), the flight models are usually ok, and the sims are enjoyable.

For the closest experience to a real jet fighter available on a desktop PC, Falcon 5 (I think version 5 is the most recent), but the manual is huge and it may take you months to learn to fly and use the avionics package. It is touted as being very, very realistic.

I'd imagine Best Buy, CompUSA should have it. I don't frequent EB or any of the others any more. Too much console not enough meat (pc games) for my taste.

Pacific Fighters is the latest expansion for Il-2. The current system started with Forgotten Battles, then the Aces Expansion Pack, then Pac Fighters. There are four groups that frequent the board here. You have the Blitzpigs, US Army Air Force types, No.105 Squadron, British/Canadian unit, No.73 Squadron, Brit Hurricane squadron, and my own personal favorite, VMF-124 The DeathsHeads, USMC Corsair squadron. So there's a little bit of everything here that may pique your interest.

anyone know where i can find this il2 dvd set to buy? I'm going to return blazing angels.

IL-2 Sturmovik Complete Edition DVD set has the original IL-2 Sturmovik, along with Pacific Fighters and all the other add-ons. Check your local PC game stores.