COMBATSIM Forum

Is Windows Vista in your future?

Well if I want to run a new video card with DX10 then there is no other choice. We all will have to switch over sooner or later.

Pretty much, but like I said I have the advantage (gotta look at it that way LOL) of having to wait until they straighten everything out, and hopefully prices'll come down. I'll have to get it at some point because I must have Age of Conan and it's being built for DX 10 sooo... :lol:

I only run Windows on one PC here, and that is the gaming PC. So at some point I have to switcht but I don't see that happening within a year. Next time I upgrade the hardware I suppose. There is just too much incertainty about DRM and fair-use restrictions in Vista for me to switch easily.

I think moving to Vista is inevitable, looks like Tomshardware is just jumping on the 'lets panic about a new product' bandwagon. Vista is a big update but it won't be different to any other OS when it comes to drivers as you can be sure the big players like ATi and nVidia will be ready but you may struggle if you have old unsupported hardware but thats been the case with most Windows releases so what do we do? hold back progress until every device has full support? At first when I saw the prices touted for Vista at around £300-£400 for the Ultimate version I groaned but online stores are selling OEM versiosn of Ultimate for £135 inc VAT and the Home Premium for a far more pallatable £78 inc VAT.

I agree that inevitably, most of us will have to upgrade. I will not be buying Vista at this time, I think Vista is immature and, like XP, there will likely be one or two service pack updates that will fix most of Vista's issues. Until then, I'm on the "let's panic about a new product" bandwagon. I did the same with XP, but after SP2 was released it became a better platform than 98SE. Oh, yeah, I went from Windows 95 to 98 (first edition) and that sucked. 98SE was much better, so I'm waiting it out for a patch or two.