Need help on X52 Set Up

Snow White

Sunday

So far my X52 experience has not been a good one. Last night I spent 3 hours trying to get a profile to save (ended up replacing the USB connector). I thought I had it licked and then I found that the IL-2 game was not recognizing the throttle.

I see the throttle work on the game controller menu and all the buttons show up, etc. In the X52 software, on band I can see the throttle move up and down. So I am confident that it works and the connection is good. But in the game, I can't get the game to recognize it. The buttons seem to work, the stick works, but no throttle....I show a -U Axis on the controls menu (none of the others show a minus sign, but I can't seem to change it.

Any ideas?

OK, been troubleshooting a little further.

Seems the throttle is tied to the precision slider. So I tried programming the precision slider to be propeller pitch by setting up 11 bands with 1 being null or no entry or I constantly got a key clicking sound, then bands 2-11 being shft 1-0 which the game still sees as power. The Throttle I set up for power, again with 11 zones for power.....but it sucks to work this way because I am at the 10per cent point and no real control of power.

Is there any way to fix this?

Its now 3 hours later and I have tried a lot of setting up bands, etc. Tried flying a few missions with the precision slider as throttle (OH and throttle setting is opposite of logic, ie at minimum you have max throttle) and I keep wanting to adjust throttle which really adjusts prop pitch....yech.

Went back to the original Saitek provided IL2 -X52 file (think that is what it was called) and it did not use the throttle of the x52, but had the throttle tied to the precision slider. Got so mad, I unplugged it and opened my first beer for the day. Gonna wait until the Cowboy or someone smart tells me what I SNAFU'd. If not, then it is a trip to Best Buy for a new one.

Monday Morning.

A couple of observations: If you own a Saitek product, don't hope for technical support on the weekends. There is a world of difference between the Cyborg Evo joystick and the X52 joystick...did not have any spikes and it is extremely stable.

Sorry to hear of your woes, Snow.

My X-52 is the one I keep coming back to, as I really like it. Sounds like you got a sour one.

I think I have, lately, been testing too many sticks, as the last time I popped the `52 on the gaming rig, the LCD quit lighting off. I installed the newest SST software,

and it is like, "go ahead and plug in the stick now." It still works in every thing I've flown, but I think I need to nuke my drive and rebuild.

The woes and whining continues.....

OK, after a lot of playing around, experimenting, and troubleshooting I am convinced that the X52 is working correctly. I show the throttle in the right spot when I test my controllers, I see the throttle in the right spot when I build a profile, but in the game the throttle is mapped to the precision slider on the throttle.

I can set up a profile and everything now seems to work except the throttle mapping.

I did try to correct this by setting up a profile with all pots set to bands to try to clear it and that did not work. I tried a deinstall and reinstall and that didnt work.

Tonight I will try a deinstall and delete all files, then a reinstall with the controller attached. This apparently is not a new problem with Ubi soft as there is a long thread on the forum on it. Will try that....if I cant get it fixed, then I will just take it back and order CH.

Hey Spectre, what SST software are you talking about? Is that the SW to set up a profile? I do know that there are beta drivers out on the website.

Do I have the possibility to remap the throttle with the CH controller?

Hey Snow White,

I posted this in the Death Head's forum, but I'll repost here. After having read more of your symptoms here, it sounds just like a problem I had with my old X45 after converting it to rudder pedals. Try this:

One thing that could be happening is that particular slider that is being assigned to "power" may have a bit of noise which sends an input to Pacific Fighters even when it is left untouched. While you are in the control assignments, try setting your throttle to 0%. Then, before you actually click to assign "power", start moving your throttle up fairly quickly at a constant rate, but not so quickly that you can't get your mouse button pressed and released on "power" before you max out your throttle. The idea here is to overpower any signal noise with a very clear change in the axis you want assigned.

In spite of the fact that I feel really silly about this, here is the latest update.

Apparently you change functions in the HOTAS area differently than in the other controls area. When I selected throttle, it showed me a -U axis...what I needed to do (thank you Saitek support) is double click on the throttle in the HOTAS area and then wiggle my stick (throttle stick that is :P ) This changed the throttle to the Z axis. Note: it is important which way you push the slider as you can have a Z Axis and a -Z Axis which change the direction that the throttle increases in the game. It is also how you can use the pots to provide trim, mixture and prop pitch control.....kewl

One other question: I was playing around with one of the single missions, (ME 109), do all A/C have the ability to change prop pitch and trim? Also if you are changing prop pitch and trim , does it show on the screen anywhere so you can confirm setting?

Thanks all

One other question: I was playing around with one of the single missions, (ME 109), do all A/C have the ability to change prop pitch and trim? Also if you are changing prop pitch and trim , does it show on the screen anywhere so you can confirm setting?

See my response to this in the VMF-124 thread :)