Bioshock Review and Walk-Through

The Dude

bioshock-box.jpg

Bioshock is a first-person adventure game and is the successor to the classic System Shock series. Bioshock aims to creep you out with hideous blood-thirsty gene-modified mutants while entertaining you with fantastic graphics and surreal underwater environments.

In this massive article series, you get two treats in one: you get an exhaustive review of all the game's features, and you also get a beautifully written walk-through in first-person diary form. This approach is quite novel in both the bookish and newness senses. Even if you never intend to play Bioshock, you can read this walk-through like a standalone adventure novel.

So sit back, get a cuppa, and prepare to be informed and entertained by COMBATSIM.COM's newest contributor, Phillip "Badger" Marriott.

Link: Bioshock Review & Walk-Through

(Folks, this is a very, very well written and entertaining walk-through, so give it a looksee even if you don't intend to play the game. I'm sure you'll enjoy Badger's artful, often hilarious descriptions of the game and all the crazy action).

Dammit, I'm going to have to buy this, And I've just cleaned my chair from Doom3...

Giving it a "recent past" background could only help immersion; most of us can identify with some aspects of it; Very "Rocketeer meets Frankenstein" Saturday matinee with added Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I want it!

I finally got the demo to run on my PC after reinstalling the latest DirectX9.0c drivers, updating to the latest NVIDIA beta driver #163.67, and turning all the graphics options to "OFF". Still, even with the graphics effects turned OFF, it looked stunning (which makes me think the graphics options were all still ON to some degree or other).

I'm a big fan of art deco architecture, and this game is literally dripping with it (under water, dripping, get it?). I must've spent thirty minutes just gawking at the fabulous architectural features in the lighthouse at the beginning of the game before I got into the bathysphere. I must admit, I tend to lollygag quite a bit in games such as this where the architectural details are so stunning. I did the same thing in Half-Life2. I'd kill everything I could on a level, but delay running on to the next section until after I'd gone back and inspected all the wonderful modeling of the interiors.

I'm not sure the majority of gamers appreciate (much less care about) the craftsmanship that goes into creating the fantastic interiors in games like Bioshock, but I, for one, am amazed by their skill and attention to detail. There should be an award for "Best Interior Design" at the Spike Game Awards. Maybe there is?

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen and i use that term loosely.. I do believe Badger is worthy to take over for the Dearly Departed Douglas Adams..

Every time I read his stories or reviews, there is an Adamesk (new word) type quality I haven't enjoyed since reading the Hitch hiker series eons ago! Well done Badger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Chaseman,

Welcome to the forum. :)

I agree, Phillip aka "Badger" really did an amazing job with that walk-thru. It's a shame that it's incomplete.

Maybe, if we coax him with toasty crumpets with butter and marmalade, the ol' badger will emerge from his burrow and write the final chapters of this excellent adventure.

Badger! If you are reading this, please say hello and let us know how you are.

"Rating: Mature 17+: Blood and Gore, Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Sexual Themes, Strong Language"

Well, I'm now going to piss you all off, as only an old man can!

If I could bring you all down off your heady, euphoric, ravings about this latest piece of digital wonderment for a minute, take a look at the above Rating, and tell me, could the general acceptance of this type of thing contribute at all to the deterioration of our Society? And if you hear a 15yr old using language that 50yrs ago was only used by a gutter-bum, but now is commonplace, is it because we are glorifying all the above garbage in the name of Free Speech, and "Well, it's only a game?" I hear you guys all jumping up and down saying what a wonderful offering this new game is, and I want to shake you hard and ask, "Would you buy it for your son, or Grandson, and if so, does his/her maturity matter to you?"

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't give a nickel to the people that market this kind of trash. I don't care how exciting, or heady, or intense it is, to my ancient way of thinking, we are simply contributing to the decadence in Society, that every one of you decry, yet unthinkingly contribute to, by praising the vehicle that offers it. Will nobody stand up and say "Enough, already! We can't bemoan the lack of respect, or foul tongues, or violent behaviour, of our young people, if we continue to promote the negative side of our beings!"

Take a look at that Rating again, guys, and think about what it means, and whether you want to promote it or send a message to the makers of it, that you want these things cleaned up.

I know this isn't what you come here to read, but sometimes I must have my say. Sorry about the Rant, but I have this white horse, ya' see...............!

Whiz,

The Depends are chafing today, hmm? :)

You can rant all day long, but have you played the game?

My 2 cents: Every generation has its contingent of slovenly, malcontent, disrespectful kids. I'm sure they had these horrible kids back in Dickens' day, as we do today. They come from slovenly malcontent parents and from really nice, hard working, respectful parents ... it's a crap shoot, brother.

It's so easy to point to games such as the above with "strong" language (not "foul" as you put it) and then to the bratty kids and say, "There is the cause and effect!". To that, sir, I say, "Twaddle!" One does not contribute to the other, they are merely coincidental. An actual connection between the two doesn't exist, or is flimsy at best.

Human beings will be what they want to be. Some kids come into this world with horrible parents and every possible disadvantage and yet rise above their filthy beginnings and make something of themselves. And other kids have every advantage you could imagine and still turn out to be douche bags.

It's not the games, or movies, or music, Whiz, it's the people. Get rid of the people and you won't have this problem. :)

Oh, and another thing, if all you look for is the bad, then that's all you'll see. I just finished building a website for an 18-year-old chess master. Ranked #2 in my country in the 18 and Under category. I think if you tried, you'd see we are practically infested with respectful, hard-working, talented kids. They are everywhere, you just have to look for them. They play hockey, soccer, go to cubs and scouts, they put on plays at school, build model rockets, compete in spelling bees and math bees. They're out there, just waiting to ambush you with their smiling faces and "how do you dos" and "let me help yous". Remember, don't focus on the stench of the decomposing goat on the side of the trail, remark how beautiful and white its teeth are (I can't remember who said that, but I think he was of some import).

:P:)

I totally agree with your assessment of young people, Doug. I know there always has been good and bad in all aspects of Society, and that todays kids are no better, no worse. What my complaint is about is the way that the promoters of crap like this new game (I say, 'crap' because if the Rating is correct, then that's what is being promoted, right?) can offer this to impressionable young kids, who can't always see the difference between real life and screen life, and especially if they have no positive role model, may assume that what they see and hear on screen is the norm in Society and may sometimes act on that. It's tough enough for parents who try to raise their kids as decent, caring, wholesome, children, without having this kind of stuff laid out for them to buy, and emulate. No, I'm not advocating censorship, as I know that is a slippery slope, but I'm just asking that people think hard when they see games that carry such an obvious red flag of negativism (And don't tell me that that list isn't negative!) and consider the possible influence it may have over a young persons thinking.

True, I haven't seen the game, because I don't own an X-Box, but even if I did, why would I want to buy a game that gave me a preview of what to expect inside if I felt strongly that what was there was against what I stood for? Just because the Promoters have no qualms about promoting Drug usage, or Intense violence, or Strong(?) language, in order to make money, why would I support them?

Yeah, I'm from an old school, Doug, and we probably won't agree, but it's good to discuss it, isn't it?

And, no, the Depends aren't chafing, but they're getting a bit soggy!

Whiz,

Games != Kids

That's programmer speak for just because it's a game, it doesn't mean it's for kids, as in tots. And you point out yourself that the game has a rating of 17+, so I think if people heed that warning, their tots are in no danger of getting sullied by the game. But even if said tot starts up the game when daddy isn't home, he won't get it and will go back to Mario Kart faster than you can say "What-evur!"

Oh, and any way you slice it, Bioshock is not even remotely "crap". It was named Game of the Year by many gaming publications, and crap games, even on their best days, don't get that distinction.

Whiz,

Games != Kids

That's programmer speak for just because it's a game, it doesn't mean it's for kids, as in tots. And you point out yourself that the game has a rating of 17+, so I think if people heed that warning, their tots are in no danger of getting sullied by the game. But even if said tot starts up the game when daddy isn't home, he won't get it and will go back to Mario Kart faster than you can say "What-evur!"

Oh, and any way you slice it, Bioshock is not even remotely "crap". It was named Game of the Year by many gaming publications, and crap games, even on their best days, don't get that distinction.

Okee-dokee, let's call it a draw, eh? Technically, I'm sure that Bioshock is a brilliant game, but I'm only referring to its content as being distasteful to me, if what the Rating says is correct. Anyway, just like the Dinosaurs, my generation and its views are way past passe, aren't they? And the world goes on.

Okee-dokee, let's call it a draw, eh? Technically, I'm sure that Bioshock is a brilliant game, but I'm only referring to its content as being distasteful to me, if what the Rating says is correct. Anyway, just like the Dinosaurs, my generation and its views are way past passe, aren't they? And the world goes on.

Are you quoting Robert Frost?

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.

I can live with a draw :)

So, are you the designated sniper in our next OpFlash mission, or am I? :P

My 2 cents: Every generation has its contingent of slovenly, malcontent, disrespectful kids. I'm sure they had these horrible kids back in Dickens' day, as we do today.

Like the Artful Dodger, someone should have shot the punk. And don't even get me started on Fagen.

Here's the thing Whizzers, the games have ratings on them for a reason, some of them are definitely not for kids. Any game, no matter the rating could be not suitable for "kids", I mean seriously take PF or Operation Flashpoint, some parents would say they were completely inappropriate for kids because they "promote war" or something; granted those are your flakey Code Pink supporter type parents but hey there are probably some of them out there. But even if you're not a flakey Code Pink parent would you seriously let your 14 year old kid get on the internet to play PF or Flashpoint with some of the sort of people that you'll find there? I sure wouldn't. So any game, if you add in the online jazz could be inappropriate for kids, I mean yeah PF is an educational flight sim...right up until you run into some of the nimrods that play Hyperlobby. Dolfo ring any bells? Yeah he's the sort of person I'd want my kid talking to even on something as non-rated as PF.

Which brings us back to the ratings, if the game says M on the box...don't buy it for your kids. It's that simple. "But no it's not!" some people will say,"The kids will get their own money and buy it on their own and you'd never know they were exposed to such trash because the stores will sell it to them anyhow!" Well you may have a point on the stores situation, but that's something for the stores to start paying more attention to. At the same time though if your kids are playing games you don't know about, that's not the games' fault, that's your fault. What if they play them at their friend's house? Well maybe you should keep an eye on what sort of friends your kids have and how lax the parenting is over there. Furthermore how much money are you giving to your kids in handouts when they can drop 60 bucks all covertly on a game you didn't know about? Where can I sign up for this plan, I'm more than happy to be adopted and I am housebroken mostly...

The games themselves can't be blamed for it, and shouldn't be banned. What should be banned are stupid parents that either don't care what their kids are doing, or when they suddenly hear and "F bomb" dropped at breakfast look for something to blame their kids' attitudes on. It surely didn't come from listening to Uncle Pat during the playoffs, had to have come from that evil videogame that some store sold to him right?

It's not just games, it's everything. Parents are becoming too willing to blame all their kids' deficiencies on someone else. They want the government to coddle them. They want everything rated, censored, and banned so they don't have to do their own job as parents.

Having said all that, never played Bioshock yet; but the two most fun games I have played lately are Grand Theft Auto IV and Saints Row 2. Two gang violence games, with more swearing, bad puns, rude ways to kill someone and scantily clad hookers than you can shake a stick at while yelling at them to get off your lawn. They're what I call "bad fun" because they're really bad, and really fun. But they're also specifically made for adults. Yeah some kids have them, some kids play them, but the company making them put the label on the box for a reason; it's not their fault that some parents are clueless or some stores don't really make their employees check ages. The company isn't at fault here, and honestly the world would be a lot duller if everything had to be rated G.

Honestly I've also gotten more genuine laughs out of both those games than I have out of the last 5 Hollywood "comedies" I've watched. There is a lot of entertainment value there, and my world would be a sadder place if they were never made because someone was worried about the children. I'm sick and tired of all the platitudes about doing things "for the children." Because if everything is brought down to an acceptable level for children, then all we'll have are childish entertainments and as much as I like Riki Tiki Tavi (aka Bad Snake!) there are times when I just want to kick back and watch me some Hot Fuzz with all the swearing, decapitations and gajillion gallons of patently fake blood splattering everywhere.

It's all about choices, I make the choices I want as far as what entertainment I want to have for the day, if someone decides to limit my choices because even having such things allowed on the planet could hurt "the children" then I will be really pissed off. And people don't like it so much when I get really pissed off, believe me. ;)

Ok from a parents point of view , my kids can watch me play Lord of the Rings no probs my son loves to watch me fly in PF as well and again no probs but when im running Arma or Opflash then they are not permitted in the room the same goes with R6V2 those types of games are to graphic for them . I would hope that other parents would make the distinction and do the same my children have their own web games they play online , my son likes Power Rangers and my daughter Bratz as a speacial treat i allow them to take control of my hunter in LOTRO but only after turning off all chat.Some of the people in the game have mouths like open sewers .

So it comes down to parents being in charge of what their kids play , don't let them hide away in their rooms keep there compuerts in the family room until they reach a suitable age that way you can moniter what is being played and what websites are being viewed.

The blame is not on the kids the Parents are responsible for what their children do and they should be held accountable for what happens as a result.