COMBATSIM Forum

TFX?

Greetings, command!

I was flipping through some abandonware pages the other week and have come across an item of striking quality that I haven't heard a word about yet. Has anybody ever played a flight simulator called TFX? Stands for Tactical Fighter Experiment. The game was released in 1993, with graphics that could probably keep its sales afloat up until the second millenium. You CAN get the full version free of charge or guilty feeling now, because the game is commercially discontinued, but the problem is - I CAN'T GET IT TO RUN ON XP!

abandonia.com claims that the game is compatible with DOS emulators like DosBOX and VDMSound, but neither one of those worked for me.

Now, I Know that there are DOS pilots out there among you guys. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to run this thing?

here are some screenshots:

Tactical%20Fighter%20eXperiment%20(aka%20TFX)2.png

Tactical%20Fighter%20eXperiment%20(aka%20TFX)4.png

Tactical%20Fighter%20eXperiment%20(aka%20TFX)5.png

the game is also legally available from the same site - www.abandonia.com

all the best!

------------------

|||||[OFBR]|

TFX was the progenitor of EF2000. Both excellent, ground-breaking, bar-raising simulations.

I really wish there were some pat answers I could give you that would make it "go", but I don't have any. If you've already tried DOSBox and VDMSound, then I'm of no use whatsoever. I feel like I've said what I am about to say fifty times this last week, but I'll say it again...if you do get it to run, please share with us the methods you used.

Oh, and here's one last suggestion: Build a Win98 box out of parts (shouldn't cost more than a hundred bucks or so) and then install Win98 (or even Win95, or, dare I say, Win 3.x) and you're good to go with all sorts of great DOS classics.

Really, for all the trouble, it might be worth having a dedicated DOS-game-compatible box.

Shoot.

That was such a cool game, and EF2000 still stands as one of the best ever.

Their last shot using the same name was a steaming pile, but the original was great!

I tried to load TFX in DOS-Box 0.71, and it won't go for me either. Bummer.

I did get Tornado, another excellent specimen, and F-15-2 to work in DB71, but TFX is being tricky.

I have an old tower or two out in my garage I may have to get running to see to some of these old gems.

Unfortunately, however, some really make you cringe, as the fond memories don't compare to what the current wonders acheive.

Shoot.

That was such a cool game, and EF2000 still stands as one of the best ever.

Their last shot using the same name was a steaming pile, but the original was great!

I tried to load TFX in DOS-Box 0.71, and it won't go for me either. Bummer.

I did get Tornado, another excellent specimen, and F-15-2 to work in DB71, but TFX is being tricky.

I have an old tower or two out in my garage I may have to get running to see to some of these old gems.

Unfortunately, however, some really make you cringe, as the fond memories don't compare to what the current wonders acheive.

Hey, Tornado doesn't look too bad at all! I might give this a try. hehe, I envy you in a fact that you have a garage to keep your old tower, Spectre =D. Part of the reason why I don't have my original two computers is that we had to move and now park underground on a concrete lot. So props, man! I always thought that three best things to put in a garage are Computers, Cars, and Antique warbirds for restoration. hehe

Well, speaking of older systems, I was digging underneath my bed and came across an IBM 755c that I rescued from work about a year ago before it got 'recycled'. And as far as most pre-1995 Dos games go, I think once I get them IN there, they should run. But then the only way to do so is through floppies or a parallel cord. So I'm nearly out of luck there =D. I think I've got the wrong cable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi All. I managed to get TFX working with Dosbox. Really pleased. I had the same problems as you were encountering. I checked on the dosbox site and you need to use Dosbox version 0.65 for TFX to work. You can get this from the Sourceforge site. Let me know how you get on. Cheers Ged.

• 3 months later...

Wow that brings back memorys! I have this game on my Amiga and have run it a few times. It was released on a Amiga Format magazine cover CD. Sadly the port was never 100% finished and is a bit unstable, but it does work. Might have to fire the old Amiga up and have another look.

• 2 months later...
I have tried to run tfx on xp through dox box 6.5. I get a message Loading... but no game, just returns to dos prompt. Configuration works fine but game doesn't run. Please help.

I got TFX working very nicely on Vista using DOSBox 7.2. Originally, I had the same problem as described above and, to fix it, I had to rename the file TFXOUT.$$$ in the TFX folder (I called it TFXOUT.$$$.old). Later, I had to turn off the Read Only property for the TFX folder (and all subfolders and files) to get the Arcade mode to work.

I remember being blown away by this game when it came out in 1993 and I'm amazed at how well the quality stands up today. Well worth the effort IMHO. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :huh:

• 1 month later...

On a side note does anyone have a quick reference list of the keys and their functions for Tornado.

I've got the manual but can't for the life of me find anything useful.

It only says things like Press the change weapon Key, rather than press the ']' key to change weapon.

Cheers