COMBATSIM Forum

A new EAW.exe for testing

Moggy

Ok all i did was follow the instructs for install , made sure my EAW disc was in the drive , transfered all files into the root directory , im not using oaw , restarted the comp , double clicked the exe to launch and then black screen total lock up , had to hard boot to get back to normal , thought bugger , changed discs out to put some music on , nothing happened , went in my computer to run disc , no dvd drive......Panic.........wiped everything eaw off of my pc , rebooted , dvd drive reappeared , but took ages to load anything , that lasted 2 days before everything went back to normal..........eaw disc back in draw

Ah yes , i still have Securerom on my system , but the dvd drive is working , just when i use the new eaw exe does all freaky stuff happen

This would be SecuROM, the anti-piracy rootkit???

The SecuROM copy protection solution consists of two main components:

A unique, uncopyable electronic keycode is added to each CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or CD-R during the glass mastering process. Unlike other copy control solutions on the market, the SecuROM keycode is fully within the CD/DVD-ROM specification, thereby ensuring the highest possible compatibility.

An authentication mechanism verifies the unique SecuROM™ keycode and unlocks the encrypted software/application. The authentication mechanism is entirely key-less, meaning no serial numbers, stickers or artwork modification is required.

The SecuROM™ authentication process is completely transparent to original disc users. If SecuROM™ verifies the disc is an original, the encrypted application starts normally. If SecuROM™ determines that the disc is a copy, the application terminates and a customizable error message is displayed.

We've not had any other report of a similar problem. You're actually using a bona fide disc, so SecuROM shouldn't be triggered even if the disc had a hidden code (which is highly unlikely), and even if it is, it should only terminate the application and display a message to let you know it has done so. Certainly it shouldn't shut down your DVD drive, though there are plenty of reports that suggest these rootkits can behave in an entirely bizarre fashion, including shutting down DVD drives for no comprehendable reason. See THis post.

Just a thought, but to avoid using your DVD drive in running EAW, you might try copying the contents of your EAW CD to a folder on your hard drive, then using the setup.exe in that folder to make a minimal EAW install to run, making sure the ini file points to your hard disk folder rather than the DVD/CD ROM drive.

If your DVD drive is not involved, SecuROM should mind its own business.

EAW makes no entries in your registry, so that's the way I run umpteen separate and different installs of EAW for various theatres, scenarios and setups, not using the CD at all.

This also from Sydbod:

"From memory, I also can not get the default EAW from the CD to work on my machines under WinXP.

This is why I stressed in the readme for the EAW1.26e patch that the person should do the following.

Quote:

This 1.26 patch is meant to be installed over the top of a clean fresh FULL EAW installation from the game CD.

For the novice to this game the following procedure is recommended.

1)Install EAW from the CD (Full Installation) but do not run the game yet.

2)Run the EAW1_26Epatch.exe program.

-This patch program should be able to find where the game was installed to on the hard disk.

-Should it not find where the game is installed then you will have to direct the installer to the correct location.

3)Run the EAW game at least once and set up your key options and joystick options.

4)To get the most out of this game it is also recommended that you install OAWUnified at this point.

NOTE THIS LINE: "1)Install EAW from the CD (Full Installation) but do not run the game yet."

The other possible problem is that when the game produces a new EAW.INI, it will use the "Windows Joystick=0" setting, and that will cause a lockup when one goes into the flying mode of the game.

It am reasonably confident that it has nothing to do with "SecuROM". "

• 4 months later...

All the testing reports are great news.

I see some problems remain.

Currently, Mr. Jelly is working on adding his AFB exe to some of the latest EAW mods. Hoping to solve the problems.

For those who got it working....

You guys are not far from having the best "patch" already!

(But hang in there a while longer..... some new stuff is worth having)

• 3 weeks later...
All the testing reports are great news.

I see some problems remain.

Currently, Mr. Jelly is working on adding his AFB exe to some of the latest EAW mods. Hoping to solve the problems.

For those who got it working....

You guys are not far from having the best "patch" already!

(But hang in there a while longer..... some new stuff is worth having)

http://groups.msn.com/THEEAWLAUNCHPAD/_Home

Home of the AFB package and much more, the only place to still fly EAW online, without any cumbersome solutions which don't work anyhow. All you need is a working CD version and we'll take it form there.

VonBeerhofen

Archived