Alright Chaps, Pay attention!

Stag

I've completed a suitable mission for 73 Squadron which would take place shortly after their arrival in Italy between 1-6 October, 1943. At our disposal we have a hog-hole wittily described as an airfield (which incidentally we share with a squadron of USAF B25s), 14 Spitfire Mk.Vc's with several not too careful owners, and 4, Yes, count them again, FOUR Shiny new (well, compared to the Mk.Vs) Spitfire MkIXc!

Being the Squadron Leader, I will, naturally take one of them (Ah, Rank hath it's privileges), which means there are three left for some lucky pilots!

To get yourself into this most shiny new addition to the squadron, simply complete the following sentence:

"I fly a Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc because..."

Answers can either be PM'ed to me where they will be judged according to originality, humour, and sobriety (mine). If you believe your words deserve a wider audience, or indeed more judges, by all means post them here.

Consolation prize: the person deemed last will fly the Squadron's Magister on Search and rescue sorties over the Med for the duration of the mission (Float conversions arrive in two weeks).

So go ahead and rattle the old brainbox!

They are the best tool for the job and the ladies all love a spitfire pilot

I fly a Supermarine Spitfire IXc because I was goaded into seeing just how fast a Yank could ground loop one. :D

And no, I'm not as much interested in flying a slot in 73 as I am in being a smart a$$, which I'm better at than being a pilot. :lol:

Oh, and yes, I do realize that posting this will result in Stag introducing me to the concept of fratricide when he and I actually meet online. :P

"I fly a Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXc because ......"

They haven't designed a Mk X yet, which is what I would prefer if it was available!

"I fly a Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXc because ......"

They haven't designed a Mk X yet, which is what I would prefer if it was available!

Actually Whizzer, Old Bean, You can have a Mk.X if you want. High altitude, pressurised cabin, two cameras, and no (count again if you like), nope, still no, guns.

Painted a rather nice shade of blue though. :D

I fly a Supermarine Spitfire IXc because I was goaded into seeing just how fast a Yank could ground loop one. :D

And no, I'm not as much interested in flying a slot in 73 as I am in being a smart a$$, which I'm better at than being a pilot. :lol:

Oh, and yes, I do realize that posting this will result in Stag introducing me to the concept of fratricide when he and I actually meet online. :P

Spoken like a true Magister driver!

I fly a Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc because...

I couldn't pass up a chance to fly under water.

What?

Oh! that's Supermarine...

Nevermind.

Doug, You get a chance to fly P40's in Africa. What? You've not seen "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"?

Spoken like a true Magister driver!

Yes, and I must say that I look absolutely dashing when flying an open cockpit aircraft. Leather flying jacket and helmet, goggles firmly affixed, and silk scarf trailing in the slip stream. Yes, an absolute lady killer. :D

the Army thought it best to send me to the Royal Air Force after seeing me run around in circles with my arms outstretched making sputtering airplane engine noises with my mouth intermittently yelling, "this is it chaps, they got me good this time!!!"

the Army thought it best to send me to the Royal Air Force after seeing me run around in circles with my arms outstretched making sputtering airplane engine noises with my mouth intermittently yelling, "this is it chaps, they got me good this time!!!"

.....Yeeeesss. :huh:

I think I'll have to put you in one just to keep an eye on you...