COMBATSIM Forum

So what happened ??

Red

Red, you can't get out of the mountains until you have completed certain Epic quests, I won't give anything away, but it'll be obvious when you can leave that area. My 5 characters were all at level 6 or 7 when the 'tutorial' part of the game was completed.

The game doesn't really come alive until the world opens up, the tutorial area doesn't have much of an atmosphere as there are just a few new characters in it. When you get down to Gondamon, or into Thorins Hall, which isn't accessible in the tutorial and there are other players around it feels more like a busy environment.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah ok , well Stoneforge is level 4 nearly five , i have just started a hobbit burglar named Shuffletoe and a elven hunter named Shalazar , i think Stoneforge will be my primary..........how long before i can start making stuff and growing things , Stoneforge is going to be a weaponsmith me thinks or mabey armourer , ill see

Red the part of the game you're in right now is kinda akin to Pre-Searing in GW, so it's not going to blow your socks off yet. To get out of the various starter areas you need to check your quest log, the little ring icon, and do the quests that say Prologue or Epic or something like that, it's been a while since I started a new character off.

I'll make sure I add your guys to my friend's list so that way we can talk when you're on. The anti-gold seller tell filter would prevent that until I do that. So I'll do that.

:lol:

Red, Shawn and I both see ya in the game on our friends list, and we've been trying to send ya /tells but appearently you already checked the box to filter tells and aren't seeing them. Need to add us to your friends list too so we can talk at ya. ;)

Oh and check your PM box on here too, has a list of everyone you need to add.

I think guild wars has just met its match...i just watched the sun come up sitting on a island in the middle of a lake , how damn cool is that , my dwarf is level 7 , and is slowly building weapons and armour , but the scope of things to do is just bloody gob smaking freeking incredible , i havent even left the mountains yet and i have heaps to do , now if i can just slip the monthly fee past Sue ill be set

From a sightseeing perspective, some of the things I remember is entering the Shire for the first time, visiting the inns, wandering around Bag End, the Brandywine at dawn or dusk, the same Weathertop, Evendim and of course Rivendell.

I haven't seen Bilbo's Trolls yet or been up into the Misty Mountains. So many sights to see, so much to do.

That probably was Tinnundir on Lake Evendim Red, that lake is extremely impressive if you ask me. :D I just wish there was a boat to take us to the other side, that's a lot of swimming if you have a quest to do over there. :lol:

Not only are all the locations really good looking, I mean sometimes I actually go back to places just to look at them; but they're all very much in line with the lore. I mean down to the little things like the firewood being stacked at the camp by Weathertop to the right location of the back door at the Prancing Pony, if it's in the book and in the regions of Eriador in the game then it's probably right down to the most minute detail. That's what sets this game apart for me, the huge amount of attention to detail that they put into it.

I don't know if either of you have gotten into Sarnur yet Staggers or Merlin, since it's a level 47-ish dungeon and all. But it's basically a Dourhand area in the Vale of Tharn, and when I went in for the first time and saw the underground mines and deeps it not only made me grin, but it also erased any doubts I had about how they'd be able to handle Moria. They'll be able to handle it just fine. Sarnur is pretty damn big, I haven't explored all of it yet, but not on Moria's scale...but I see it kind of as Turbine's test run for how they can design Moria, and it really works for me.

I also can't wait for the end of the month so I can get my very own Hobbit Hole...and more Misty Mountains, they're getting expanded, and you can just never have too much Misty Mountains. Or Misty Mountain Silver...mmm MM Silver. :D

Don't worry found the mail box but can't open it since im on the trail version , i made to bree and had a look around , nasty critters there , my lvl 9 dwarf did a lot of running

Haven't made it into Sarnur yet, and I only poked my level 31 nose into the Misty Mountains, they looked really impressive but I decided to wait a few more levels.

When I'm with Stag or fellowed with others I am much more likely to risk defeat( you can't really call it death) than I am when I'm solo. I suppose it comes from playing dead id dead in sims like SH3/SH4, which I still play regularly, so I tend to be a bit conservative when entering ares where all the critters are more than 5 levels above me.

Red if you think areas around Bree have nasty critters, head for the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs. The other thing about the Old Forest is that it is a maze, and part of it can change whilst you are in there leaving you running around in circles.

Funny thing; played EQ2 for over a year, but could never get into it like this game. Because it's Tolkien? Maybe. I do know I was thoroughly grabbed by "The Last Farm" series of quests. Gatson's farm is pivotal to what's going on in the North Downs, and the quest designers did a damned good job of pointing that out, as well as the more human aspect of the potential loss of Gatson's home. Went on to "Uniting the Peoples" (Or whatever, typing this from dodgy memory) and I feel committed to making that a success, because I WANT Gatson to hold out, and I WANT his farmhand to claim his inheritance and make Kingsfell thrive again. From a game mechanics point of view, The farm will be there until LOTRO goes offline. Storywise, with an Orcish army bearing down at warp factor 20, the place is just so totally f*cking screwed, and being a sucker for lost causes, I almost feel like sticking around for the fight (Which will never happen, see above).

The only time I've felt something similar in gaming terms is playing BoB2. Yup, Developers managed to do it right. :)

Update , i have defied the Overlord and have purchased LOTOR , so if i suddenly vanish from online you know that it hasn't gone well and send in the cavalry to save my ass :P :P

Update , i have defied the Overlord and have purchased LOTOR , so if i suddenly vanish from online you know that it hasn't gone well and send in the cavalry to save my ass :P :P

Brave!

Possibly very stupid...make sure to hide the really sharp knives...but definately brave! :lol:

Then again winter is coming and I always did fancy spending the winter in the southern hemisphere, I probably could take the time to swing by and save you from a fate worse than a fate worse than death between Hahns I suppose. I think Wallaby said Hahns was the good beer down there at least.

Oh and Staggers don't be so sure that you won't get to fight at the Farm when the Orc army hoves into view. That silly little "Chicken Play" game they put in has more than just a steam blowing off use, it's their way of testing what they call "session play" which is a timed play almost like an instance but taking place in the game world at large. They've hinted that attacks on towns could be part of either group session play in the future, or as instance chapters like the Battle of Trestlebridge was in Book IV...or V...the Human part of Uniting the Races as you called it. I can't remember what the actual name of that chapter was called either from memory. The further along you go in the books the more of the story gets woven in, especially in the instance set chapters of books. I don't want to spoil anything but once you get to Book V Chapter 8, you will be gobsmacked. I guarandamntee it.

It goes something like: I love the smell of the Misty Mountains in the morning...it smells like...Holy crap! What in the name of Frodo's cumberbund is that!?! Runawayyyy!!!!! Oh crap we can't runaway...umm well I'm a Burglar so I'll probably die last, nice knowing ya lads... ;)

Rick i have the armour from Gunny as well , my Dwarf finally can start paying out on the goblins who have been beating on me pretty badly...Oh yes they will suffer my axe , which i might add is a very nice one.

Have you guys seen the option to cross territiries so that everyone can play together ?? , it cost 13 bucks i think , i saw it in the LOTOR load screens somewhere

Oh and to check your mail go up to any of the mailboxes and click on them, there are a bunch in Thorin's Hall which is where I have my Map Home set to, one is fairly close to the vault...although before the last patch it was right next to the vault which appearently Turbine thought was just too convenient. As a way of protesting me having to walk 30 feet instead of 5 from vault to said mailbox I always ride my horse over. I'm not lazy...well I am, but I'm hoping Dogfood has a little accident on the floor to show my displeasure at the turn of events. So far no luck yet with that, but it doesn't mean I won't keep trying. ;)

Also make sure you install off the DVDs too, you can run the game with a patched download client, hell I used the Beta client until this week when I got a new DVD drive finally (damn you Starforce damn you to hell) without any incident, but the DVDs have the hi-res texture packs on them which none of the downloads do. I means you'll have to completely repatch (boo!) but you'll also have better character graphics (yay!) but since it took me 2 hours to redownload all the patch data on cable in the US...you may want to hold off on that until before bedtime and let it update while you're not watching the kettle boil so to speak.

Rick i have the armour from Gunny as well , my Dwarf finally can start paying out on the goblins who have been beating on me pretty badly...Oh yes they will suffer my axe , which i might add is a very nice one.

Have you guys seen the option to cross territiries so that everyone can play together ?? , it cost 13 bucks i think , i saw it in the LOTOR load screens somewhere

Glad you like the axes. :D Those are crit ones too, what that means is when I made them I got a critical on the roll to make them, which effectively means they're the best crafted weapons for that level period.

Since you'll be sticking around, at least until Sue finds the really sharp knives, I'll go ahead and start making you your heavy armor. As a Guardian you can wear that at level 15, so it'll be...Heavy Bronze or Reinforced Bronze or something like that. I'll get started on that sometime in the very near future. :D

As for now...3 bubbles to go on my Champion for 50. And of course no Blue Bar (enhanced ie: double XP for kills) left, so it's gonna be a slog. 29k or so XP to go at around 200 a kill is...oh hell a lot. :lol:

Then again level 49 is something like 270k or so XP in total to run though, hey I have to hang on to anything that makes it all seem better right? ;)

That's just servers, AFAIK, Red. I don't think it's possible to cross from one licence to another. In Europe the game is run by a bunch called Turbine. Different from the one who cover the US.

Bloody stupid setup for an otherwise shining game.

Rick regarding armour , im working Stoneforge towards his armour titles at the moment , would like to make my own set of armour first , i still have a million and one quests to keep me busy in the "easy" areas , so i can continue to mine copper and tin and eventually hopefully make some armour