Chaintech Apogee Memory Modules don new Heatspreaders

AMD Receives Scathing Editorial From Hardware Review Site Tech Report

ASUS Xonar Series Revolutionizes the PC Audio Soundscape

Review: Aeneon XTUNE 2GB PC3-10600 DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Review: XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512MB XXX /SapphireHD3870 512MB /Asus EAH3870 512MB

New Zero-Day QuickTime Vulnerability Emerges

Firefox 2.0.0.10 Released

"These latest news headlines are ready and waiting for you at COMBATSIM.COM!"

The guy comes up with a new site and bitches `coz the OEM won't chump up the freebies?

OK, I am sure all is on the up and up, but still.

I should just rename the Pilot's Pub to something like, "The Hardware Hangar" and whine when no one sends me stuff.

I can commiserate, as I get blown off for my Virtual Pilot column all the time, but still.

Spec,

He's not whining about not getting freebies at all. He's illustrating the connection between crap product and the sudden lack of advanced, testable product. This guy is a top hardware reviewer who doesn't need any free CPUs; rather, he needs advanced product so he can get an objective review on his site on, or before, the official release date. Instead, he got a PR-controlled test session at a hotel that didn't last as long as he normally takes to just setup a test on his own bench.

When the PR guys / gals start controlling access to the new product, then, as the reviewer rightly pointed out, there's something rotten in Denmark. It sucks even more because AMD used to make excellent and affordable product that they happily sent out in advance to reviewers with no strings attached. Now they want to control who tests and how they test. I've seen the same bullshit PR tactics in the combat sim software and hardware sector and it is a sure sign that what's about to be released is mutton dressed as a lamb.

When you start controlling who conducts the tests and what tests are used, it usually means you have an inferior product and do not wish to have its shortcomings announced to the world. AMD continues to remain behind the curve, both in CPU's and video cards.

I only read a bit o' the blurb, so will bow to your having read the entire article.

You are correct, in this circumstance, and maybe I'm just a bit miffed with AMD falling so far from grace as of late.

I have built my gaming rigs around AMD, and been a vocal proponent for half a dozen or so years.

It just sucks that they bought ATI, as my prior AMD & nVidia combos have been killer!

I stand, or actually sit, corrected.

:D

I've been a really big fan of AMD as well, the Athlon and Opteron CPU's were stellar in their time and certainly trounced anything Intel could field. AMD and Nvidia were also a nearly unbeatable team when it came to motherboards. Unfortunately, AMD's merger with ATI seems to have spelled an end to both company's dominance in their fields. :(