COMBATSIM Forum

SAM avoidance in TAW

I've just been playing this again after a long layoff (thank you, Jolly07) and I'm having a byotch of a time dealing with SAMs.

Anyone have any advice they'd like to share? Does the advice in this SAM Avoidance in Falcon 4 article work with TAW too?

So far, my best luck, aside from knocking them out with long-range AGMs, is to fly into valleys so the SAMs lose line-of-sight, but I really dislike that approach because I end up at the mercy of Shilkas.

I'm also not sure if I'm using my wingmen properly. To get my wingmen to attack a SAM site, I padlock the site myself, then hit TAB > Engage. The wingmen report back that they are "Running in ..." which I assume is their notification that they are going to shoot that SAM site I had padlocked, but what if there are other SAMs in the vicinity? Will they engage those as well without me telling them to do so?

Also, any advice for avoiding an incoming missile that has a lock on you would also be appreciated. I find porpoising in the vertical, while keeping my nose pointed at the originating site, works best. Turning off at 90 degrees, abeam of the launch site, and then turning into the incoming missile at the last possible moment, doesn't seem to work as well for me.

All I know is that I seem to run out of AGMs and wingmen before the SAM sites are all gone. :(

Avoiding and preventing launch by SAM is the key. This is where TAW is little reminding such a playability classics like F19 by Microprose. Having laid all situation on MFDs you can thread the perimeter of SAM launch envelope using range or terrain barriers.

We come here with Strategy Guide for F22 in PDF which I can perhaps upload lated to one of the servers. All specific tricks of "how to" in TAW are there. It was and still is very good guide.

Link to Guide

Nephilim,

I currently have the difficulty set to "Medium".

Since my original post, I have reacquainted myself with the proper use of EMCOM. I had been going into EMCOM 1 thinking it was making me stealthy, but in EMCOM 1 auto chaff and flares are off. I now dispense chaff and flares manually and that has helped a ton. I've also stopped following the mission waypoints which usually take me right over enemy SAM sites; rather, I go around the SAMS and also fly NOE whenever possible to mask my plane from SAM radar.

Lots to relearn after seven years of flying prop fighters.

The Dude if you are in EMCON1 and Cannot Drop Chaff and Flares you need the Patch for TAW in order to do so ;)

NOE is the Deal on medium difficulty. Avoidence and EMCON setting help. But if you fly NOE and you do Get launched on you are Not real high and the Missile will miss Probally if you get close to the Ground and try Flying NOE in the Road Valleys if Possible..

• 2 weeks later...
yes.. the missiles will be dumb enough to hit the mud. but, what if you're at altitude?

or above the sea?

if you master some efficient technique for those cases, then you are truly good.

Your right at altitude there are other factors to take into account such as how far will that lock on track you before loosing you, how high can they go into the sky for you.

I manage to dodge a few by flying towards an enemy or going as high as I possibly can or diving for the deck if I'm out of chaff or flares I'll try maneuvers to dis-lock the tracking sam.

hmm from what I remember.. if you don't have counter-measures and no terrain to hide in, then there's no way you can shake off any missile. I don't think I'm wrong, but if you can give counter-examples, please do.

this would be yet another thing I'd change if I (we) had the source code to TAW.. some missiles to be slightly dumber.

other things: helos attacking other aircraft, tweaking the maneuverability of a couple of jets Su's MiG's and Rafale..

and making the F-22 supercruise at 1.7-1.8 M. but those are only dreams.

hmm from what I remember.. if you don't have counter-measures and no terrain to hide in, then there's no way you can shake off any missile. I don't think I'm wrong, but if you can give counter-examples, please do.

this would be yet another thing I'd change if I (we) had the source code to TAW.. some missiles to be slightly dumber.

other things: helos attacking other aircraft, tweaking the maneuverability of a couple of jets Su's MiG's and Rafale..

and making the F-22 supercruise at 1.7-1.8 M. but those are only dreams.

Try this if you get a lock on dive fast as you can an low as you can to the deck over water the missile will hit the water. if there's a ship near by, fly towards it an as you pull up just above the ship it will hit it. I've evaded missiles that way so what if it's a friendly ship the missile is gone, you're alive.

jolly if you are below 100ft preferably 50ft you will got shot on but the missile will loose a lock Over water..LOW and Slow ;)

Well Actually I will go in as fast as I can making sure not to get detected. Fly right up to the Edge of the SAM in this Case Ships Circle's Death Zone and then Throttle Back and glide in till your Close Enogh for a Maverick Kill, Staying LOW and usually I do NOT even get locked on. But If I do I am so LOW the missile will usually get lost..just be carefull of those Oil Rigs ;)

• 2 weeks later...