COMBATSIM Forum

Tired of dust inside your computer case?

Yeah, me too, especially with cases like the Antec 900. Those big intake fans draw in a lot of air, but suck in dust as well. There are two simple solutions I found while cruising the internet (yeah, sometimes the internet does have good info)

Plan:

The idea is to put a filter on one side of the intake fan(s). You can either place it on the inside of the case, so the fan blows air through the filter, or on the intake side of the fan, either sandwiched between the fan and case or attached to the outside of the case. I simply tape mine to the outside as it makes monitoring and changing the filter much easier. I really don't care about the looks, I'm more interested in function when it comes to such things.

Filter materials:

Two options: Purchase a window unit air conditioner filter and trim the filter to fit. A cheaper method is to convert a used clothes drier fabric softener sheet into a filter. I'm frugal, so instead of throwing the drier sheet into the trash, I make them into filters. If you opt for the drier sheet, do not use a new sheet as they contain chemicals and dust that will get sucked into the case, only use a used sheet.

With my Antec 900 case, stock exhaust fans running at low speed, stock intake fans running at medium speed, one layer of fabric softener sheet raises CPU and GPU temperatures 1 to 1.5C, two layers 2 to 3C.

There's your handy-dandy, cheaper than dirt, computer tip o' the day. :)

Good idea, Stans.

Unfortunately, if I used a filter it'd clog in a week with my dog's shedded fur. Twice a year, I just pull the side cover off and use my Home Depot shop vac to suck the fur out ... seriously. Works like a charm. :lol:

What'd be cool is Antec or one of them coming up with a case that holds a filter grid or summat.

A little square doo-dad that you can pull out and change, and looks OK as well.

Not a filter loving person? Cool, don't put one in, but it would be nice to have the option.

The way my cube case is setup, there are too many openings to strap one anywhere...

My Antec Performance One P182 has two washable fan filters in the front of the case in front of the two hard drive cages. You access the filters from the front of the case, which is nice because you don't have to open the case and remove it to get to the filters.

Antec013small.jpg

Press a couple tabs and the filter comes right out for servicing...

antec_p182_43_thumb.jpg

My Antec Performance One P182 has two washable fan filters in the front of the case in front of the two hard drive cages. You access the filters from the front of the case, which is nice because you don't have to open the case and remove it to get to the filters.

[imgCool Case shot 1/img]

[img Filter close-up /img]

Dang!

There goes my million dollar idear! :D

Cool, might have to look into one of those when I get to upgrade again someday...

[imgCool Case shot 1/img]

[img Filter close-up /img]

Dang!

There goes my million dollar idear! :D

Cool, might have to look into one of those when I get to upgrade again someday...

I've used the pantyhose filter before but now I have a better method. Don't use an intake fan. If the case has good ventilation and a large 120mm outtake fan, decent cpu HSF, video card that ventilates heat to outside the case and a large fan on the PSU then an intake fan is not really needed. My cpu is overclocked and I use no intake fan and heat is not an issue.