COMBATSIM Forum

Nova's MiG-29 Fulcrum

That looks like the flight model from that open source civilian simulation called "Flight Gear". :lol:

Personally, I'm fascinated by the math that goes into proper air combat flight models. You would think that in this day and age---what with the Internet, and the whole open source software movement, and the free exchange of info---that explanations and samples of how to create a great air combat flight model would be littering the virtual streets, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I really like the flight model in IL-2, but how they modeled it, and what maths they used, is a mystery to me. I'd sure like to know. Do they use Euler Angles? How do they get around singularities in near-vertical flight? Does it really model atmospheric conditions? And so on and so forth. Then you have guys like Austin Meyers with his X-Plane simulator that use Blade Element Theory to model flight characteristics---which is fine for experimenting with airfoils, but really not all that useful for air combat sims (and besides, he doesn't model gun / missile ballistics at all).

Yep, I sure would like to pick the brains of an expert flight modeler. Anyone? :)

me too.. if I was to make a serious flight model system, I'd try to make the program smart enough to consider aerodynamics, besides basic physics.

you see, in Falcon 4.0 AF, from what I played, it seems to me they set up a maximum angle of attack, engine power and weight, but all the flight models were left to that. I made it so that I could fly the EF2000, F-22, MiG-29, Mirage 2000 and Su-37, besides the F-16s. the Su-37 performed horribly. had a good alpha number, but a bad thrust/weight ratio. I don't think it could even do the Cobra. so, to me, F4:AF is a bit overrated. the flight models are simply incomplete. there's a missing aerodynamics factor, that's what I think.

I didn't play LOMAC too much, because it runs slowly on my computer.. but I played it enough to sense it is a great sim. I would say LOMAC got it right w/ the flight models.

haha.. LOMAC, TAW/ADF, EF2000 all seem to have gotten it "right". as opposed to NovaLogic, where both the F-16 and MiG-29 could supercruise w/ the heaviest possible loadout, and even when climbing by 15-20 degrees. :facepalm:

Thats Fuun jolly I alway thought the LOMAC flight Models are Wrong. I just cant see it Stalling like that on a Turn with that much Power..

hmm.. isn't the Cobra a stall maneuver? well.. I was impressed by LOMAC .. but as I said, I didn't play it too very much.

[rant]

either way, Nova's flight models are FUBAR.. as you already saw in the vid.. and remember that both the F-16 and MiG-29 can supercruise w/ the heaviest loadout possible.. and while climbing (~20 deg). :o

and, I said before, they have an inst. turn ratio of like 40 deg/sec.. well CombatSim reviewers approx. it to 50-60 deg/sec.

meaning I was a nice guy.

[/rant]