COMBATSIM Forum

preparations for F-22 2008 v.2

so, Polak, I see you're the only one around ATM.. hope others read the "divert" thread.

anyway, how are the new textures coming up? those screens you posted are really nice.

so, if you don't mind, I'll remake the TODO list for v.2..

* new terrain/sea tiles

* new aircraft skins

* improved yellow Moon

* fixed cloud tiles

* more custom missions (my department :) )

if making that photo-realistic skin look good at night time is too hard, it's OK if you simply

manage to create improved skins. DKD's Sudanese/Egyptian mix skin was very nice, as I remember.

Sudanese/Saudi skin design pattern, Egyptian skin colors.

never got the files, though.

I'd like such improvements to be done for most aircraft in TAW.

I'm thinking primarily of the F-16, F-18E, EF2000, and Rafale.

also, did you figure out how to edit the object shapes themselves? you've imported some kind of

space ship once.. that being said, I'd love to have the Mirage 2000 converted to a single seater. I simply dislike twin seaters.

(pictures included to remind of the differences between aircraft camos from real life and from TAW. OK, the EF2000 one was a joke.)

umm.. what should I (we) release v.2 w/, anyway? :rolleyes:

all I got right now is a greenish menu, still pondering whether or not it looks better on blue than v.1's TAW original gray..

and the darn new UFO mission which isn't working right ATM.

small steps aren't adequate for our releases. I want to get v.2 done ASAP, but more than that, I want substantial improvements over v.1.

v.2 will not be released otherwise.

the version where I'd probably stop would be a v.3 .. or F-22 2009, w/ new aircraft skins, improved terrain, 100% fixed LoD's,

special version of TAWC w/ mission creator, and EXE hacked to have more engine power. :)

that's when I'll stop and say to myself, "yes, I'm done here." and leave it all to you.

.. unless we get the source code.. then I'd never stop.

umm.. what should I (we) release v.2 w/, anyway? :rolleyes:

the version where I'd probably stop would be a v.3 .. or F-22 2009, w/ new aircraft skins, improved terrain, 100% fixed LoD's,

special version of TAWC w/ mission creator, and EXE hacked to have more engine power. :)

I think my target is for something about New Year. It is so close already anyway. I am hoping to get some other improvements implemented by that time so when we give that to community it will be different play (gameplay) for TAW. Despite age , TAW has still potential to be fine flight combatsim game - it is so easy to get in and out that all constant testing and previewing I do to see the tiles makes fun by itself. While at that I play the mission and already see some difference. Recently I enabled 3D acceleration and that made huge difference too.

Just still there are too few of us to make a real and broad impact.

To finish this project of new textures and colors for TAW one or two more hurdles need to be surmounted. And that is firstly I need to establish without any ambiguity all the palette places. By this I mean I would like to know for sure which palette row serves what purpose in the game. This is to establish how many colors is used by just terrain alone.

Second trouble is after palette is established then I need to find how the colors are being transformed by the hour of the day. For that I need some perhaps "scientific" data. Find and give me any link you can about it. :icon_bow:

Then I need to iron some seamless tile problem as for example that kaleidoscopic effect - it is annoying and we'd better without it. Mirroring of the corner of the tile to get proper seams is theoretically correct ( i.e. this removes problems of the clouds), but introduces quilt like effect. Brr....

Other than that all but few tiles are made and I am pretty content how they look.

Here I would like already express my thanks to mikew for his editors and MGonzales for his invaluable TAWTM. More tools are needed but can wait.