COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 2008 v.1R

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what Spear is trying to convey is that this is a sim that was made in 1997 about an aircraft that didn't go operational until 2005 or so. It is even mentioned in the manual that much of the technology and avionics implementation was based on best guesses, and the IRST is one of a very few that DiD got wrong.

What amazes me is that 12 years ago, DiD got so much correct that F-22 TAW has more avionics fidelity than most sims that model current aircraft.

Bottom line: enjoy the sim. That's why it's here.

I bet you tried to engage a Shilka with the cannons. :)

Nearly...

I have to destroy the Tower and have only normal bombs and the cannons....

I have to come into a short range to engage with this bombs and this was no good idea. :D

I don't know how I can destroy this SAMs without an long range weapon. :unsure:

"Tower"?

anyway, the cannon is a very good weapon against mostly anything, except buildings and ships.

going with it against SAMs is very dangerous, but if you're skilled enough, you can do it.

switch to EMCON 1 and fly very, very low, and directly towards the SAM.

when you get very close to it, pull a bit up, then try to shoot it. when you pass it by (especially if it's a machine gun SAM),

switch to F2 view to see when it fires.

like I said, takes skill, and it's not a good tactic with lots of SAMs in a group.

if you're against missile SAMs, try to fly around them until they fire all their missiles.

then they're defenseless.

and if going to attack SAMs in a group, ALWAYS destroy the machine gun SAMs first, unless the mission requires you otherwise.

"Tower"?

Yes, the tower of the airfield. This was the missiongoal.

anyway, the cannon is a very good weapon against mostly anything, except buildings and ships.

going with it against SAMs is very dangerous, but if you're skilled enough, you can do it.

switch to EMCON 1 and fly very, very low, and directly towards the SAM.

when you get very close to it, pull a bit up, then try to shoot it. when you pass it by (especially if it's a machine gun SAM),

switch to F2 view to see when it fires.

like I said, takes skill, and it's not a good tactic with lots of SAMs in a group.

if you're against missile SAMs, try to fly around them until they fire all their missiles.

then they're defenseless.

and if going to attack SAMs in a group, ALWAYS destroy the machine gun SAMs first, unless the mission requires you otherwise.

Thanks for the tipp but I tryed it like that. Excepting the low altatude. I want to play the game realistic as possible and so I don't use the F2 view.

That's why I attack the SAM from a higher altatude. But I will try it like you sad (but without F2 view). Thanks

Yes, the tower of the airfield. This was the missiongoal.

Thanks for the tipp but I tryed it like that. Excepting the low altatude. I want to play the game realistic as possible and so I don't use the F2 view.

That's why I attack the SAM from a higher altatude. But I will try it like you sad (but without F2 view). Thanks

Don't ignore the maverick, either. Maverick is effective against mobile targets and buildings, and has a standoff range greater than the ZSU so you don't have to worry about cannon fire.

If I have any sort of static target (e.g. tower, hangar, building) with SAMS and AAA nearby, I load up with maverick and dispense enough hate and discontent for all takers. :thumbsup:

Don't ignore the maverick, either. Maverick is effective against mobile targets and buildings, and has a standoff range greater than the ZSU so you don't have to worry about cannon fire.

If I have any sort of static target (e.g. tower, hangar, building) with SAMS and AAA nearby, I load up with maverick and dispense enough hate and discontent for all takers. :thumbsup:

Yes, I know. But in this Trainingmission I can't load any other weapons...

But now back to topic. Else Spear will kill me. :D

• 2 weeks later...

@ Spear: Are you planning to design a HUD exactly like the real F22 HUD? If not, can you tell me, why you ve decided to make it that way in your great mod?

(Just have flown around 2 hours, but i m very impressed. )

When i m back home i will make some more testing.

Great work. Please continue making F22ADF / TAW better.

OK, you're welcome, GP.

• firstly: the new HUD was designed by MGonzales (which, all in all, might have been closer to the real thing).
    but I decided to tweak it a bit for gameplay. (rearranged text, added "spikes" to the pitch ladder.)
    this is quite close to the real F-22 HUD, I don't know how much closer we can get.
    if you want to try out MG's original mod, use TAW Configurator, but remember to save your original huddle folder.
  • secondly: you should check out v.1.5 BETA1, we've included a lot of new stuff. (BETA2 coming up sometime next week)

Glad do see that the F22 ADF / TAW aren't dead.

this is the part where I should say:

"welcome, glad you like our mod, check out v.1.5 BETA1, v.1 is getting old".

but that quote is a mystery to me, that I can't solve, TBH. :o

Thank you for your reply, Spear! I ll download V1.5 Beta as soon as i ll be back at home, here at my girlfriend s home i only got a linux laptop which isn t able to run your mod.

( I only use windows OS for TAW ) I m very impressed , flying your MOD is like driving a brand new motorbike on a wonderful sunny road without any traffic around... :thumbsup:

well the thing is this: F-22 TAW (and so our mods) can run on Linux, but you need to install Wine.

after you done that, you can install and play all mods.

one problem: you will not be able to hear voices in Linux, just as you can't hear them in Vista/Win7,

unless you install the TrueSpeech codecs. you can do this in Win, but I don't think you can in Linux, who knows?

glad you enjoy our mod, GP. feel free to comment, and make suggestions for future releases.

Thanks for this MOD! It has been years since I last touched TAW with the 800x600 res. Downloading as I type. I was real fan of EF2000 of which I think it was the best fighter sim ever. As I was searching for EF2000 downloads (lost the game on an old pc), I came upon this MOD. Manage to d/l Super EF2000 for win95 but there's no 3D rendering for it. (I still have my Voodoo2 but stashed in somewhere :) )

Now, am on a special project, trying to revive my old gameport CH Products Flightstick Pro and Pro Throttle on XP machine, which does not have any gameports. Still no success on the AudioPCI soundcard that I manage to find in the stash which has a gameport.

Worst case, dump all these and get USB devices. Anyway, I am about 33% on the d/l and the broadband in Malaysia is like a dial-up.....the wait is killing me.

Lastly, I am really surprised that F22 TAW is still alive. Keep it up guys. It's going to be tough re-learning all the controls. Don't even know how to turn on the engines.

Thanks for this MOD! It has been years since I last touched TAW with the 800x600 res. Downloading as I type. I was real fan of EF2000 of which I think it was the best fighter sim ever. As I was searching for EF2000 downloads (lost the game on an old pc), I came upon this MOD. Manage to d/l Super EF2000 for win95 but there's no 3D rendering for it. (I still have my Voodoo2 but stashed in somewhere :) )

Now, am on a special project, trying to revive my old gameport CH Products Flightstick Pro and Pro Throttle on XP machine, which does not have any gameports. Still no success on the AudioPCI soundcard that I manage to find in the stash which has a gameport.

Worst case, dump all these and get USB devices. Anyway, I am about 33% on the d/l and the broadband in Malaysia is like a dial-up.....the wait is killing me.

Lastly, I am really surprised that F22 TAW is still alive. Keep it up guys. It's going to be tough re-learning all the controls. Don't even know how to turn on the engines.

2daMax, you remind me of my recent trials with EF2000.

I have the P2-333 with a Voodoo2 card and SB16, but all of my HOTAS are digital (even my Thrusty F-16 FLCS/TQS has the Church chip upgrade) so no joy in 3dfx.

I still can't believe that nobody has made a gameport emulator/digital to analog converter, because I would love to be able to use my cougar with EF2000 GFX+. I guess I just have to live with SEF2000 in the meantime.

There are plenty of USB-Gameport adapters which should work with CH stuff, such as this:

http://www.usbgear.com/ijoy1.html

I just haven't found one which is compatible with my MS FF1 yet. :(

LOL, Mikew.

My problem is exactly the opposite. I was looking for something (though I figured this could be done with software emulation) that took digital USB controller signals and mapped them as analog signals from the 0200 port. DOSBox already does this, but I still can't find a utility that works as a TSR or from within Windows 98 that would allow a usb stick to work with EF2000.

Also, an unfortunate problem with the gameport to usb converters is they don't work with digital gameport controllers (hence your probs with the FF1). So with vista on a laptop, we're all kinda hosed.

HI all, i'm new to this forum, i just downloaded the mod i wil try shortly

about the avoid SAM's missiles, if you go low and when pull up and they fire a missile, perform a roll launching chaffs/flares, doing this you can folish them

tks for the mod

/Oxygene

There are plenty of USB-Gameport adapters which should work with CH stuff, such as this:

http://www.usbgear.com/ijoy1.html

I just haven't found one which is compatible with my MS FF1 yet. :(

Thanks for the info. Hard to find even these trivial products in Malaysia. I may buy a PCI soundcard with a gameport on it that I found in one of the PC shops, but got to make sure they have XP or Vista drivers support first. This is the cheapest route.

I found a ESS Maestro 2 1968S PCI soundcard but have no XP drivers. My gameport joystick is still no go.

On the F22 2008. Manage to run the game with 1024 x 768 res. Looks good! How do I turn on Anti-Aliasing? Do I use the game.cfg and set it to 1 or do I need to run the *.com file after I edited the game.cfg to patch the F22.dat file. Since I still dun have a functioning joystick, I was not able to steer the plane. Any ideas on using the keyboard as a flight control device? Thanks.

2daMax,

if you run 1024x768 Direct3D, you won't be able to enter the game's menu.

open game.cfg in Notepad and search for line:

REZ=3

change it to

REZ=2

in the game, this will mean the resolution will be 640x400 -- but that doesn't matter,

you only have to do this so that you can enter the menu, instead of manually editing the game.cfg file.

after you went into Options and made your changes, return and change back to REZ=3.

and using the keyboard as control device? well umm, arrow keys?

from what I know (well for v.1.5 Beta2 anyway), default input device is keyboard.

if you run 1024x768 Direct3D, you won't be able to enter the game's menu.

open game.cfg in Notepad and search for line:

REZ=3

change it to

REZ=2

2damax,

Another solution (basically the same thing, but automated) is to go to the F-22 2008 Beta 2 thread (the only one that's still stickied) and check my post (two from the top). In there I have provided a link to an opensource program and batch file that will allow you to do this by running a file called f22opts.cmd. It will also restore your 1024 resolution upon exiting the program.

While you're at it, I recommend downloading the F-22 2008 v1.5 Beta 2. There have been significant improvements since v1R.