Check Out my new Ride (*56k Death*)

Groucho

Hey- the site's back!

Anyhoo, thought I'd take this occasion to show off my new Trusty Steed.

Attached are pictures of my new ride: a 2004 Pontiac GTO. It has a LS-1 5.7l V-8 that cranks out 350hp and

365 lb/ft of torque, married to a Tremec 6-speed manual transmission, putting a dyno-confirmed 300 hp to the

road through the real-wheel limited slip differential. It has been fitted with custom 18" Momo Tuner wheels and

245/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport FM901 tires.

The climb out of Bakersfield through the Tehachapi Mountains is a steep one, climbing from just above sea

level to 4000' in ~20 miles or so. The GTO will climb the hill easily at 115 mph in 6th gear....it will definitely go

much faster than that but I decided to back off before I ran out of talent or luck. Suffice to say that weaving

past & passing on the hill will be no sweat at all. It sticks to the many curves like Dan Rather to a forged document....

I hit a few at over a 100 with nary a peep of protest from the tires. The seats are very comfortable and the cockpit

extremely ergonomically placed.

What a grin machine. It is quite possibly the most fun car I have ever driven…and I think quite pretty also…..

DSC00161.JPG

DSC00167.JPG

DSC00169.JPG

Bob, you're making waaaaaaay too much money! :D

GTO eh? Wonder if it will have the exploding gearbox problem the original had? Maybe even the exploding pistons through the hood feature? ;)

Looks awesome - in my favorite colors too. <S>

Not to mention the sticking accelerator on the original Tri-Power GTO -- that was interesting ... :huh:

Seriously, I've read great reviews about this machine, and I don't think it's as expensive as you might think. It's the gas mileage and insurance that worried me, but I'm sure Groucho has that under control!

Yeah...this is an '04, so after the rebates and incentives and killer fianancing it was way too good a deal to pass up. I paid under invoice for the car....though the custom wheels and extended warranty were extra.

The 2005 will have 50 more hp than this one, but there are so many mods and tweaks for this LS-1 powerplant that getting those 50 horsies out of this mill won't be such a big deal should I choose to persue hot rodding it a bit.

Mileage is suprisingly decent-- not great, mind you, but decent. In sixth gear she'll loaf along at under 2000 rpm, netting 25mpg @ 75mph. Insurance is only $50/year more than my BMW.

Mileage is suprisingly decent-- not great, mind you, but decent. In sixth gear she'll loaf along at under 2000 rpm, netting 25mpg @ 75mph. Insurance is only $50/year more than my BMW.

Okay, I'm impressed. That's about what I get in my 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS on the highway. True, I've got AWD, but I've always been disappointed that a 2.5-liter engine doesn't deliver better mileage.

As for the insurance, well Groucho, you were driving a Bimmer before. That said, my low insurance rates skyrocketed once the WRX came out in 2002. All of a sudden, Geico realized that the RS had this huge wing on the back. :)

Commuting on I-280 and US-101 every day as I do, increasingly I'm coming to value comfort, survivability, and economy over performance. Much as I'd love a hot rod or a sports car, that Ford Escape Hybrid is looking mighty interesting, about now.

It's that climb through the mountains up Highway 58, dodging quasi-sentient a-hole semi truck drivers on a steep grade, that made me require power as one of the primary requisites.

I have never been a domestic car fan, though I've owned my share. I've never liked the "pure" muscle cars of

the 60s and 70s....all straight-line fun with poor handling, awful build quality, and rotten brakes. The last two cars I've owned have

been BMWs, but this time around I promised my wife that I would buy a new car for the warranty coverage,

and new Bimmers were out of my range. . Up until the test drive in the GTO, I had all but bought a Volkwagen R32

(a Golf from hell, with a 240hp V6 and AWD).

My wife is originally from GM country (Ohio), and suggested we check out a GM product.

I rolled my eyes, and said, "There are only 3 GMs that I would consider...a Corvette that I can't have (too many kids),

a Caddy CTS-V that I can't afford, or (remembering articles I had read in my many car mags) this." I pointed at a GTO ad

in the paper, advertising phenomenal rebates and incentives for an '04.

Well, driving is believing, and when I lit up the rear tires in the first 3 gears during the test drive, I started to believe.

When I took a short, tight, windy road off of the freeway and marvelled in the handling, I was a convert. Done. Buh-bye, VW!

Well, driving is believing, and when I lit up the rear tires in the first 3 gears during the test drive, I started to believe.

When I took a short, tight, windy road off of the freeway and marvelled in the handling, I was a convert. Done. Buh-bye, VW!

You gotta love third-gear rubber!

:)

The US auto industry produces THE best bang for the buck cars on the planet ( and I'm not American ) The GTO is one of them. The Corvette is pretty much as fast and handles as well as any sports car but costs WAY less than most. And just so you don't think I'm a GM fanboy...... I drive Fords :) and used to rally a Cooper 'S' ( back when dinosaurs stilled roamed the earth )

That is a VERY NICE ride old man.....even if it's a outrageous colour !

The US auto industry produces THE best bang for the buck cars on the planet ( and I'm not American ) The GTO is one of them. The Corvette is pretty much as fast and handles as well as any sports car but costs WAY less than most. And just so you don't think I'm a GM fanboy...... I drive Fords :) and used to rally a Cooper 'S' ( back when dinosaurs stilled roamed the earth )

That is a VERY NICE ride old man.....even if it's a outrageous colour !

Thanks!

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I should point out that the car is built in Port Elizabeth, Australia. It's essentially a left-hand drive Holden Monaro GT with a bit more horsepower (American-built LS-1 engine) and louder exhaust! It has way more Opel DNA than Firebird.

I take this as a huge plus as this means the car is far more European-feeling than most "Yank Tanks." icon_smile_driving.gif

Well! If you traded in the Bimmer for the GTO I guess I'll have to go test drive one myself. :)

My 1981 320i is still hauling my sorry butt to and from the job site. I get a kick out of people's faces when they see me, the lowly electrician, climb into it at the end of the day. They're like..."WTF? Are we paying this guy too much?"

Love them pics, Grouchers

:thumbsup: