Programming of 'stick and throttle" on real fighter aircraft?

Wombat1940

At another forum I posted this:

Coming from a TM background I am trying to undertake button programming of my X52 that I could with my TM F16 J'stick and throttle combination: like O/, I/, /T, /H, /R etc.

Mine is the simpliest requirement:

I want to be able to to achieve 3 diffent keystrokes with 3 presses of a single button.

eg. Button A pressed (and released) 3 times to achieve outcome of (say):

a (with the first press and release)

b (with the second press and release)

c (with the third press and release)

In TM terms (non pinkie mode)

toggles a, b and c:

/O/T a

/T b

/T c

There is not specific timing required: i.e. If I press once I get an a; comeback x days later and I press once I get b!

What could be simplier! But not on my X52 with .pr0 SST software.

Hope you can help

For which I got this reply:

Currently not possible, I'm afraid. It's on the list of features to implement though.

For which I replied:

Thanks for the very speedy reply. Yes .... in some ways I expected such an answer. Makes me feel a little less foolish

Pity really. IMHO its such a basic, first principal issue, but may be difficult to engineer with current software.

Currently, I'm overcoming it with "trickie dickie" advanced command. Its just that you sometimes have to wait ..... maybe only 0.5 sec, but in that time you could be a fireball.

However I'm working on it .........maybe others have been more successfully in achieving where I have been unable ...... stay posted .....

Edit 1: Wonder what's on the stick and throttle of a real FA18 or F16? I will check elsewhere.

Edit 2: I meant I would check here and elsewhere

Well? Any clues??

Not to compare HOTAS, but, I've been able to do what you describe with Control Manager for a couple years now.

Yes thanks for the "non-comparison", Hope to stick to the "a" then the "b" then the "c" discussion with the X52.

Moving on ............ CONTROL MANAGER ???? ........With the X52 ???? ....... Am I missing something ????

Maybe you could PM (or post ) the part of your profile that does this a to b to c?

My X52 TAW profile is almost there. Just reconfiguring that "clutch" button to a standard button.

Wombat

Well here it is:

Hands-On Throttle and Stick (HOTAS) Ref: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...-22-cockpit.htm

The F-22 features a side-stick controller (like an F-16) and two throttles that are the aircraft's primary flight controls. The GEC-built stick is located on the right console and there is a swing-out, adjustable arm rest. The stick is force sensitive and has a throw of only about one-quarter of an inch. The throttles are located on the left console. Both the stick and the throttles are high-use controls during air combat. To support pilot functional requirements, the grips include buttons and switches (that are both shape and texture coded) to control more than 60 different time-critical functions. These buttons are used for controlling the offensive (weapons targeting and release) and defensive systems (although some, like chaff and flares, can operate both automatically and manually) as well as display management.

IMHO that what's modelled in the Thrustmaster F16 stick and the Cougar. Doesn't mean to say "Press Button A gets a, press again gets b, press again gets c, however .........

I think this says it all (the bit in red). However the X52 is great by not as totally hands free as is another stick system. I'm lucky: I fly TAW in easy mode on my notebook with an X52 and Falcon4A/F in realistic mode on my PC with a Cougar.

Wombat OUT

How F/A-22 Raptors Work Ref: http://science.howstuffworks.com/f-22-raptor7.htm

by Gary Wollenhaupt

Print

* Email

* Cite

* Feedback

o Digg This

o Yahoo! Buzz

o StumbleUpon

o del.icio.us

o Reddit

Cite This!

Close

Please copy/paste the following text to properly cite this HowStuffWorks article:

Wollenhaupt, Gary. "How F/A-22 Raptors Work." 15 March 2005. HowStuffWorks.com. <http://science.howstuffworks.com/f-22-raptor.htm> 17 December 2008.

Inside this Article

1. Introduction to How F/A-22 Raptors Work

2. What is the F/A-22 Raptor?

3. Stealth Capability: The Basics

4. Stealth Capability: The Raptor

5. Engines: Supercruise

6. Engines: Thrust Vector

See more »

7. Flying Video Game: Behind the Scenes

8. Flying Video Game: In the Cockpit

9. Raptor Radar

10. Raptor Weapons

11. Lots More Information

12. See all Modern articles

Science Videos

Science Videos

* More Science Videos »

Flying Video Game: In the Cockpit

In the F/A-22 computer screens display all information -- it's the first so-called "all-glass cockpit" in a tactical fighter. These digital displays have been common in commercial aircraft for years.

Photo courtesy U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Kevin J. Gruenwald

F-22 cockpit

The cockpit is fitted with a hands-on throttle and stick control (HOTAS). This system allows the pilot to fly the plane without removing his or her hands from the flight controls. The F/A-22 also has the first cockpit system compatible with night vision goggles (NVG). A heads-up display (HUD) projects information in front of the pilot's view, showing target status, weapon status and cues that indicate if the weapons are locked on the target. The pilot inputs information for communications, autopilot and navigation in the integrated control panel (ICP) in the center top of the instrument panel.

The cockpit has six liquid crystal displays (LCDs). The primary display is an 8-inch by 8-inch (20.3x20.3-cm) LCD that provides a plan view of the air and ground tactical situation. This includes threat identity, threat priority and tracking information. Two smaller displays show communication, navigation, identification and flight information. Three secondary displays show air-threat, ground-threat and stores-management data.

The goal is to make it simple for the pilot to process all the information being displayed. The pilot can tell at a glance what the situation is: Enemy aircraft show up as red triangles; friendly aircraft are green circles; unknown aircraft are yellow squares; surface-to-air missiles are pentagons. To show that a pilot has a lock on the target, the red triangle becomes solid. The system is 98 percent accurate in determining the type of aircraft flying in range. If the system can't make identification, then the aircraft is shown as an unknown.

Archived