I never get the hole bearing stuff

toweleee

"What is this bullseye crap?" All the difference in the world, my young padawon. Pay attention to the details, especially when you hair's on fire at mach 2. You'll live longer. :D

If you've just made a "request picture," or "nearest threat" radio call, what you hear is a bearing and range reponse. Bullseye is an arbitrary fixed point on the map, in F4 it's fixed for each theater, so once you know where it is, it stays there. This allows calls relative to a fixed location that is presumably unknown to the enemy. If AWACS says "065 at 20 miles bullseye," it means the target is bearing 065 and 20 miles away from this "bullseye" point, NOT your location. Bullseye can be displayed on the Radar and Nav modes. I forget the exact commands but there is a menu item in the ICP that sets the mode from steerpoint to bullseye, check the manual.

• 2 years later...

The sooner you can use bullseye, the better. When other flights make range and bearing calls relative to themselves, it doesn't tell you anything if you don't know where they are. But if another flight calls "bandit su-27 4 ship bullseye 050/20", then you can find bullseye and you'll know where the bandits are (and where to go or to avoid depending on your mission).

There's a graphic available somewhere of the Korean AOR with the F4AF bullseye superimposed. I fly with that on my kneeboard whenever I fly F4AF, so I can quickly see the picture based on other flights' bullseye calls.