Perhaps the Mayans were correct?

Stans

Yeah I completely buy it. No seriously I do.

I mean those Maya were something else, they could predict the end of the world (if you listen to the alarmist types) but they couldn't see that drought that basically wiped their entire civilization out coming? Uh huh.

Furthermore the whole basis for the "end of the world" hooya is that the Maya calender ends in the year 2012. Yeah, that's because they couldn't do the math for dates beyond that because the sky will change. What's that you say? It's called Galactic Precession, go ahead Google it, I'll wait...

...okay all set on that it?

So what is at work here is that the Maya, accurately, predicted the date that the cosmos will all line up. Which is some pretty amazing astronomy and mathematics there when you think about what they had to work with...but prophecy it ain't. It's simply astronomical observations tied in with some very good math. What's happening here is what happens quite a bit with the old "End is Neigh" people, they're confusing Astronomy (which is a science) with Astrology (which is bullshit) and drawing their conclusion from that. It's happened before, it'll happen again.

Remember the "End is Neigh" hoopla when Halley's Comet came swinging back around in 1986? Sure you do, guess what, we're all still here. The only thing that came out of that prognostication was an awesome B-Movie called "Night of the Comet" other than that nothing of note happened, which still makes it worth 99% more than the other "End is Neigh" predictions through the years. Jim Jones? Wrong. That crazy idiot with his suicide cult in footie pajamas? Wrong. That crazy Russian dude and his Siberian cave dwellers around 5 years ago? Wrong. Y2K? Wrong, although I really was hoping the credit card computers would go batshit. Sadly, I too was wrong. And on and on and on.

In case you missed it in my subtlty: The Maya are frickin' gonna be wrong too. In fact I bet any of you $500 bucks they're wrong. If they're right not only can you say I told you so, but I'll leave the $500 in my will for you. Of course if they're right you won't be around to collect either. But that won't happen because...the Maya Are Wrong. Still thinking they could be right? I have one more challenge for you, show me a Maya cart with wheels. Yeah I thought not. ;)

Now wait you say, NASA is kinda pointing to the Maya being right here too, so there must be something to it eh? Sure, if you trust a federal agency that can't even tell the difference between feet and meters resulting in a few score million tax dollars strewn festively all over the Martian plains, then they could be right. But dudes...they're wrong.

Now how could I possibly argue with that? Schatts' analysis is always so bloody logical, it's........................................sicke

ning?

Watched the History Channel apocolypse deal on this last night. Fascinating. I think it's also on their web site. The really cool part is the Mayan calendar. It describes like 5 different cycles. All coinciding with astronomical events. Truely remarkable. The calander ends at the winter solstace in 2012 because that's the first time in something like 5000 years that all 5 cycles align at a beginning point. It's not necessarily the end of the world, its just the end of the cycle, to which the Mayans attached great signifigance. I guess we'll see.

Archived