This Day in WWII 26 January 1941 - 1945

Donster

cv012642.jpg Air Force Women's Auxiliary

1941: The Italians evacuate Mechili during the night.

LanaTurner.jpg Lana Turner

1942: American Expeditionary Force lands in Northern Ireland.

1942: The US-Filipino withdrawal to the Bagac-Orion line is successfully completed. The Japanese quickly followed up the withdrawal and made several penetration in to the defensive new line, although these were all contained and thrown back.

lenahorne1.jpg Lena Horne

1943: The Stalingrad pocket is split in two. Voronezh is captured.

1943: The Eighth Army takes Zaula in Libya, less than 100 miles from Tunisian frontier.

1943: The first OSS (Office of Strategic Services) agent parachutes behind Japanese lines in Burma.

ActtionComics-Sept1942.jpg

1944: The British launch their main attack on the Japanese ‘Golden Fortress’ in the Arakan, Burma.

1945: Himmler is put in command of Army Group Vistula by Hitler. The Russians isolate three German armies in East Prussia. The Red Army captures Kattowitz in Upper Silesia. Auschwitz concentration camp is captured by the Russians, but they find fewer than 3,000 survivors as the SS has moved most of the remaining prisoners to camps inside Germany.

1101420126_400.jpg Major General Poorten (READ COVER STORY)

Did Lena ever have a hit other than Stormy Weather?

463px-Lena_Horne_govprop.jpg

Lena Horne conserves fuel - (Office of War Information photograph)

Looks like her album sales was better than single hit releases. Only one other single on the charts...

* "Stormy Weather" (1943)

* "Love Me or Leave Me" (1955) #19 U.S. Pop

However no mention of the Jazz charts. So don't know if there was a few via the Jazz charts.

Lena Horne Wiki

Can I say that in mixed company? :unsure:

I like Lena, honestly, I do, but that smile on her face in that idyllic kitchen tableau is just this side of creepy.

Yeeeeeeees, dear, I have your dinner riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight here.

At which point she opens the oven door, pulls out a Tommy gun, and hoses you with hot lead.

Well, she performed extensively with the following bands, so I guess she was a jazz singer. That's what I remember her as.

Artie Shaw, Teddy Wilson, Billy Strayhorn, Duke Ellington, Charlie Barnet.

Don't you love the high heels in the kitchen, though?

I like Lena, honestly, I do, but that smile on her face in that idyllic kitchen tableau is just this side of creepy.

Yeeeeeeees, dear, I have your dinner riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight here.

At which point she opens the oven door, pulls out a Tommy gun, and hoses you with hot lead.

Dunno about that, but from the look on her face, it could be a nicely roasted cat she was offering you!

I was thinking the creepy smile was more along the lines that she was saving on meat rations too by cooking up her husband's kids from his first wife or something. She looks like a psych-oooo.

:lol:

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines as well. I can see her opening the oven door, pulling out the roasting pan and inside the pan is little Johnny's severed head. :superscare:

Archived