Victoria Burns

Red

My heart goes out to the families. Whiz is right, that is worse than Santa Ana's.

Big piece in the LA Times this morning on the fires. There are lots of similarities to those that happen here. One of the big things being discussed is the "Go or Stay and Defend" plan. Apparently Austrailia has had this in effect for about 10 years now. There is talk of adopting it here and in fact Ventura and Santa Barbara counties are already adding it to their fire support planning. Basically it provides some training for those that want to stay and try to fight the fire at their house. It's an effective alternative in most cases, especially hillside fires as what burns houses are the flying embers that come in ahead of the fire itself. If those can be extingushed as they fall, then the house can be saved and a lot of people want to do just that. The problem occurs when you get into a firestorm like you're seeing in Victoria. It's too late to run and not safe to stay, so then what?

Even so, Austrailian authorities recon that without the Stay and Defend deal fatalities could have been double or more. Panic and traffic accidents are all too real killers in these situations.

Wish I hadn't watched the video. Hearing that womans voice trying to talk through her tears just about bust me up. Prayer, and more prayer, is the only way to go. God bless them all, and I pray they can rebuild their lives. There, but for the Grace of God, go I!

Archived