This Day in WWII 24 February 1941 - 1945

Donster

cv022441.jpg New Zealand's Anzac soldiers

1941: The 2-engine Manchester bomber, is used for the first time during an RAF raid against Brest.

1941: Reconnaissance elements of the German 5th Light Division clash with British forces for the first time in Africa, at Nofilia near El Agheila.

1942: British Parliament begins a two day debate on the conduct of the war.

1942: USS Enterprise attacks the Japanese garrison on Wake Island.

2053705-MarieMcDonald2.jpg Marie McDonald

1944: ‘Big Week’ continues with a co-ordinated RAF and USAAF attacks on the Schweinfurt ball-bearing factory.

1944: Hitler speaks to a closed door meeting of Nazi Party leaders and activists at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich on the occasion of the anniversary of the proclamation of the Party Program in 1920. Hitler refuses Goebbels requests that the speech be broadcast and even prohibits any mention of it in the newspapers.

2053705-MarieMcDonald3.jpg Marie McDonald

1945: German U-boats sink 8 ships and 2 destroyers from a convoy bound for the Russian port of Murmansk.

1945: A haggard and aged-looking Hitler addresses his Gauleiters and Reichsleiters for what proves to be the last time in the Reich Chancellery in Berlin on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the proclamation of the Nazi Party program. Perhaps sensitive to the likelihood of public scepticism and derision, he refuses to allow the speech to be broadcast or even reported to the public at large.

1945: Germans counter attacks wipe out the Russian Hron bridgehead over the Danube to the northwest of Budapest.

1945: U.S. Marines capture a second airfield on Iwo Jima.

2053705-comic_pep_comics_1942-30.jpg

Yeah they can be bad things, I mean I've met girls that were way meaner drunk than guys could ever be. To the point of hiding the cutlery. So that can be bad. On the bright side if she got drunk and mean, and was still confused, then maybe she'd hit the wrong guy.

Hell I dunno.