COMBATSIM Forum

Windows 7 vs. Windows XP

I am typing this from a Windows 7 beta test mach...

>Whoa!<

What the hel...

Oh, sorry, distraction.

Now, where was I? Oh, yeah, Win 7. Been testing in for 6 - 8 weeks now, and compared to Vista, it is just all kinds of...

>Dee-am!<

That was just cool!

Anywho, I have drunk the Kool-aid©, and it is pretty darned tasty, thus far....

:D

I hung onto win98 (even tho it was a bitch) and missed the whole WinME and Win2000 fiasco.....so I'm hoping to hang onto XP until Win 7 comes out. I gotta say than XP has been IMO the most satble version yet. I download beta drivers and crap like that and in over 3 years I have not had a single blue screen of death.

And here I thought, it'd be like the difference between whale sh!t and elephant sh!t....

Boats

Was the smell of fish?

Wrong. Spelling is important too.

I'm not even sure what we want operating systems to do anymore, except MAKE THE SLIDESHOW STOP!!!

As for Windows 7; that's another one we got to buy? like Vista was going to sort everything out, and before that, XP, and 2f*cking000, and '98, and '95...

I'm in my happy place now, and I'm armed.

I hung onto win98 (even tho it was a bitch) and missed the whole WinME and Win2000 fiasco.....so I'm hoping to hang onto XP until Win 7 comes out. I gotta say than XP has been IMO the most satble version yet. I download beta drivers and crap like that and in over 3 years I have not had a single blue screen of death.

I LOVE my Win XP--Home Edition! Never a problem, no CTD, no BSOD, no coffee...........Oh, sorry.......................I'll keep it until they have to pry it from my cold, dead, fingers!...............Oh, sorry, wrong Forum!

Good points, Stag.

Why would I want anything other than XP? It does everything I want too :)

What advantage is there to Win7 other than a prettier desktop? From what I've heard, it'll be a bigger resource hog, and take more of my already limited hard drive space. Oh, and it costs money ... where's my motivation to upgrade again? Getting Bill G. another Porsche 959 isn't real high on my priority list so I think I'll stay with XP :)

Good points, Stag.

Why would I want anything other than XP? It does everything I want too :)

What advantage is there to Win7 other than a prettier desktop? From what I've heard, it'll be a bigger resource hog, and take more of my already limited hard drive space. Oh, and it costs money ... where's my motivation to upgrade again? Getting Bill G. another Porsche 959 isn't real high on my priority list so I think I'll stay with XP :)

Now now boys. It's the 21st Century! You can buy 1TB hard drives for less than $90US. 1.5TB drives for less than $130US. Or 2TB drives for just under $300US! 4GB DDR2 RAM for under $35US! 4GB DDR3 RAM for under $53US!

Open up your wallets and help the economy! Create your own home grown Stimulus Plan™ to help the Global Economy! ;) Besides, we all will be checks in the mail from our current leaders to help us out in these tough financial times! Be sure Comrades!!! :P

what about Linux?

no, I'm serious.

in my view, both Vista and Win7 are bloatware. their outer beauty don't excite me.

same would go for XP in opposition to good ol' 98.

hardware always gets better, and software has to be renewed so to take advantage of it.

the time when XP won't be good enough to handle with the day's hardware is approaching.

but that doesn't mean I need an OS which takes up a lot more resources than the previous generation.

being in pace with technology is one thing (try using Win98's FAT32 on a 500 GB hard drive);

bloatware is another (Vista would fill up like 10 GB if I recall corectly? -- what on earth for?)