This Day in WWII 15 March 1939 - 1945 *1935 **1949

Donster

cv031543.jpg WAVES

1939: Germany occupies Bohemia and Moravia, Czechoslovakia.

1941: Roosevelt broadcasts to the nation announcing ‘the end of compromise with tyranny’.

1941: The British 'Northern Force' having concentrated the 4th and 5th Indian Divisions begin their offensive for Italian fortress of Keren in Eritrea.

1942: U-503 is sunk near the Grand Banks, off Newfoundland, by another aircraft from the US squadron, VP-82.

1943: Germans re-capture Kharkov.

elizabethdaily2.jpg Elizabeth Daily

1944: The heaviest RAF raid of war is made against Stuttgart, with 3,000 tons dropped from 863 bombers, for the loss of only 36 planes.

1944: The allies pound Cassino, dropping 1,250 tons of bombs dropped and firing 195,969 in 7 and a half hours, but the troops make slow headway.

1944: The Soviet 1st Ukrainian Front breaks through German defenses and reaches the Bug river, the starting point in 1941 for Operation 'Barbarossa'.

1944: The U.S. 1st Cavalry Division lands on Manus in the Admiralty Islands.

1944: The Japanese begin crossing the Chindwin for an advance against Kohima.

JoanVohs1.jpg Joan Vohs

1945: Attacks by troops of the US First Army to expand the Remagen bridgehead further, meet with little success.

1945: The Soviet 1st Ukrainian Front begins an offensive in the Ratibor area of Upper Silesia.

1945: U.S. troops report slow progress on Luzon in the Philippines.

*1935: Joseph Goebbels, German Minister of Propaganda bans four Berlin newspapers.

**1949: Almost four years after the end of World War II, clothes rationing in Great Britain ends.

martin-aircraft.jpg Wartime Martin Aircraft Ad

Miss Elizabeth Daily is a healthy looking lass i must say

Pretty much the definition of "girl next door", she is :thumbsup:

I'd like to know where it is you have to live to find all these pretty girls next door. They weren't next door in my neighborhood!