This Day in WWII 25 March 1940 - 1945

Donster

cv032540.jpg Sir Neville Henderson

1940: The United States agrees to give Britain and France access to all American warplanes.

1941: Under heavy pressure Yugoslavia finally signs the Tripartite pact.

1941: The Japanese foreign minister, on a visit to Berlin, announces, "The Japanese nation is with you in joy or sorrow...to arrange the world on the basis of the new order."

1942: US troops occupy the Society Islands.

janetblair1.jpg Janet Blair

1943: Greek partisans temporarily take over Samos Island from the Italian garrison.

1944: Manstein persuades Hitler to allow the First Panzer Army to break out to the west of Lvov, not south.

JanetBlair2.jpg Janet Blair

1945: The U.S. First Army breaks out of the Remagen bridgehead. The British Second Army captures Wesel which has been nearly 100% destroyed by Allied bombing.

1945: The U.S. pre-invasion bombardment of Okinawa begins as half a million shells and rockets are fired in a week.

Janet%20Blair-luckystrike.jpg Wartime Lucky Strike Ad Featuring Janet Blair

Hey, honey! Can you bring me some more matches, I dropped mine in this tide pool. Yep, nothin' like puffin' down a whole pack of smokes while kneeling on coral covered in slimy stinky seaweed. Mmm mmm! Now that's what I call fun! Oh, and honey! Bring over that toaster plugged into that long extension cord. We can make toast while we smoke our ciggies.

Hey, honey! Can you bring me some more matches, I dropped mine in this tide pool. Yep, nothin' like puffin' down a whole pack of smokes while kneeling on coral covered in slimy stinky seaweed. Mmm mmm! Now that's what I call fun! Oh, and honey! Bring over that toaster plugged into that long extension cord. We can make toast while we smoke our ciggies.

Blair diedfrom complications of pneumonia.

And those smokes are the non-filtered Lucky Strikes too. Makes you wonder if her lungs were trashed by smokin' dem der Lucky Strike Cigarettes.

In retrospect, what an evil thing our Government generated on behalf of the Tobacco Barons in the WW2 years, didn't they? How many Vets died of Lung Cancer in the years following the War I wonder? And yes, I smoked cigarettes from 16yrs old until I switched to a pipe when I was 30 on my Dads recommendation until I finally started running at 43 and literally dumped everything in the garbage, where it belonged! I really feel for you smokers, because I do know how hard it is.

My grandpa on my mom's side survived a full combat tour over Europe in a B-17, got a Purple Heart, 2 Air Medals and the Distinguished Flying Cross...and then suddenly caught and died of polio about 2 months before the vaccine came out.

Which proves that sometimes bad shit just happens, so I don't fault the tobacco companies during WWII. The only actual data on smoking and lung cancer available at the time was German data, dismissed as propaganda. It wasn't propaganda, but I really don't want to think about how Nazi doctors came up with said data either.

Yeah, but just think of what you could buy as a soldier or airman during WWII with them there cigarettes! Better than cash. Especially in the ETO. Some French bimbo for the night at her flat with a real mattress. She might even cook you breakfast before you leave. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but just think of what you could buy as a soldier or airman during WWII with them there cigarettes! Better than cash. Especially in the ETO. Some French bimbo for the night at her flat with a real mattress. She might even cook you breakfast before you leave. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're talking from experience, Donnie!