COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 2008 v.1.5 BETA2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your great work.

I got one issue: Sometimes i got delay in briefing/debriefing/menu screens. But cannot reproduce ,when i got this delay and when not. Harddisk is not working ,other software is not active.

Just have flown two training missions in Beta2 and i love it. :-D

Will the Track IR patch work with Unionreality Gear, too?

Greetings from germany... :-)

Now Hear This (I always wanted to do that).

UPDATED 24APR09: I have broken the bugs and fixes portions of this thread into two separate threads that have been stickied. Please check both of these threads prior to any troubleshooting efforts:

Known issues and bug reports

Incremental fixes

I will continue to update these threads as more issues become known and bugs are fixed. Please continue to check these threads.

Thanks for trying the mod.

Edited by Home Fries
Thank you for your great work.

I got one issue: Sometimes i got delay in briefing/debriefing/menu screens. But cannot reproduce ,when i got this delay and when not. Harddisk is not working ,other software is not active.

Just have flown two training missions in Beta2 and i love it. :-D

Will the Track IR patch work with Unionreality Gear, too?

Greetings from germany... :-)

germanpilot,

Thanks for the kind words. In answer to your delay question, I have not personally experienced this. However, the extracted TAW (which his essentially is) is about 12000 very small files. I would ask if you are using a FAT32 or NTFS partition. If NTFS, I would also recommend compressing the folder to see if that helps improve perfomance.

Regarding your UR question, do not select the head-tracking version. If you have already done this, you can easily copy and replace the appropriate f22.dat file from \F-22 2008 v1.5 BETA2\!2008_v1.5B2\TAW_Patches_Eng.

The reason for this is the Union Reality headgear was already supported in TAW (and in fact was the basis for incorporating the TrackIR code). However, the UR support had to be disabled in order to enable TrackIR, which is why you need to run your UR headgear with the original version of f22.dat.

If you have any issues, feel free to PM myself and/or Spear, and we'll try to figure it out.

Hi guys,

Let me first commend you all on your talent and perseverance in both updating and preserving a classic game. Very impressive!

I've been following the modding on SimHQ for a while and every time I decided to try and get back into TAW (I haven't played it for over 6 years) there is a flurry of activity which makes the task of re-installing my X45 and TAW a more daunting task.

I am interested getting back into TAW and do some testing for you, and I have some questions regarding installation.

First of all D3D or Glide wrapper? I have a Duron 1.3G, with 1.2 GB RAM and a MSI GEForce 3 Ti 200 AGP video card running Windows XP Home. One of the reasons I stopped playing TAW was that there were many issues with my video card, primarily blue lines and missing textures causing see-through mountains etc. Would Glide be better for my system in regards to the video problems described and overall problems running the game? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

If a Glide wrapper would be the best way for me to go, what is the procedure for installing it.

Also, any other suggestions regarding installation would be appreciated. I know that I have a relatively old system that I have been upgrading to keep running. Windows XP has put quite a load on the system, but it still keeps chugging along.

It's been a long time since I last used TAW and I hope that once I get back into it I can get up to speed quickly.

Thanks

ramjet

Let me first commend you all on your talent and perseverance in both updating and preserving a classic game. Very impressive!

I am interested getting back into TAW and do some testing for you, and I have some questions regarding installation.

Thanks, ramjet, for the kind words. We could always use more testers. We may be trying to do some more missions later, but for now, just enjoy the game and post any problems you see. If you do run into a problem, please try to duplicate it (e.g. same mission or custom mission, graphics settings, et. al.) and report with system and game specs.

First of all D3D or Glide wrapper? I have a Duron 1.3G, with 1.2 GB RAM and a MSI GEForce 3 Ti 200 AGP video card running Windows XP Home. One of the reasons I stopped playing TAW was that there were many issues with my video card, primarily blue lines and missing textures causing see-through mountains etc. Would Glide be better for my system in regards to the video problems described and overall problems running the game? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

If a Glide wrapper would be the best way for me to go, what is the procedure for installing it.

Here's the easy answer: your system specs won't likely make much difference. Ironically, with your GF3, you're more likely to be able to play in D3D without encountering the moving map corruption (no promises, though). You may still have problems with the F12 view, but there is a fix for that involving changing your DirectX settings (search this forum).

That said, you shouldn't have any problems running Glide either, though I'm not sure I would force higher resolutions (i.e. beyond 800x600), as that puts more of a strain on your native graphics card. As far as installing the wrapper, that's taken care of in the installation (and we even put a dgVoodoo shortcut on the destkop). All you need to do is run dgvoodoosetup.exe (the shortcut on the desktop) and adjust your settings (though with your card, the settings we defaulted should be about right).

Here's the nice thing: if you install D3D, but decide you want Glide, you can just go to the \F-22 2008 v1.5 BETA2\!2008_v1.5B2\utilities\TrackIR_Patches\Glide folder and copy those contents to the F-22 2008 folder (same applies to D3D). I don't recommend mixing and matching glide with D3D 1024 at the moment (unless you know what you're doing in modifying configuration files).

It's been a long time since I last used TAW and I hope that once I get back into it I can get up to speed quickly.

I know what you mean. I've been playing this game since ADF/RSO, but didn't really get back into it until joining the mod team.

One thing you didn't mention though was regarding the blue lines around the F22 and the see through tiles that resulted in sections of texture missing. It was really bad at night because sections of the mountains would be white. This was a problem running TAW with nVidia video cards years ago.

ramjet

Ramjet,

I can't answer the question for you because I don't know the specifics of your graphics artifacts, nor have I experienced them myself. I don't believe that you will get the same artifacts with Glide, but you also may not get the artifacts with more recent nvidia drivers. I tested D3D with an nVidia 7950GX2 running the 169.21 drivers and DX9.0c and didn't encounter the problems you described.

Bottom line: if you prefer D3D give it another try. If it doesn't matter to you, try Glide. If one doesn't work, try the other.

D3D gives you some nicer lighting effects, but I actually prefer Glide myself because I don't have issues with the moving map or smartview, and I can run TAW in 1600x1200 by forcing the resolution in the glide wrapper (3d objects are rendered in 1600x1200, but the textures and fonts are still in native 800x600 upscaled). Plenty of other people prefer D3D; your mileage may vary.

Okay, I'm having some major trouble with the program. I installed the glide version of the game and everything went pretty smooth and I was able to go through the options screen all right. I just modified the speech and fx volumes and clicked on hard difficulty. Everything else I left defaulted. I went in and thought I would try the landing training. When I start the mission everything seems ok but then my X45 has a very serious lag which renders the game unplayable. At first I thought it was a framerate issue so I unchecked some of the graphics. After a couple more tries I realized that it was the X45.

I went into the options screen in TAW and clicked on calibrate and whenever I move the stick or throttle there is about a 2 second delay before the calibration motion is picked up. So, I tried to shutdown TAW, but that would not work so I had to use task manager. Even after shutting down my X45 doesn't work right. When I go to the calibration screen after TAW has been shut down, the same delay is present and when I check my button assignments in wordpad there is a delay and then a continuous string of key presses before it stops.

If I restart my system and check out the x45 it works just fine, but as soon as I load up TAW the same thing happens. I've tried to run the game many times but the same thing happens.

I don't know if the problem is because of installing glide or my system just doesn't have the horsepower. I used to be able to run TAW on my system with almost everything checked except for Anti-Aliasing pretty smoothly with the X45. If I checked AA then I would get a bit of a stutter sometime.

I'm a little disappointed since I got myself a little pumped to get back into TAW. Do you think that running in D3D would help? If this might be a big problem to solve, I don't want you guys to waste your time on it just for an old system like mine that is 8 years old.

My specs. are:

Asus A7V rev. 1.02

AMD Duron 1.3 G

40 GB Hard Drive

MSI GeForce 3 Ti 200 AGP

1.2 GB RAM

Window XP Home

UPDATE:

I thought that I would try D3D so I was looking through the Glide folder to see which files I should delete from the F-22 2008 folder before adding the D3D files. I noticed that the F22.dll file was missing, so I thought wow, maybe that was the problem. So I rebooted and started the Saitek Profiler for the X45 and then checked the calibration and the button assignments in worpad then loaded TAW. This time I went into options and checked the calibration before starting any missions. The X45 was in working order. I went to the training missions again and this time I thought that I would try a different one so I chose the BVR Missile mission (which was actually the first one I had tried) instead of the Landing mission which I had tried several times before. When the mission started I saw that the lights on my X45 went out and I didn't have any control of the F22. I went back to the options screen and the joystick was gone and only keyboard control was listed. I quit TAW and saw that the Saitek Profiler icon was gone and I couldn't restart it (most likely because the joystick is inactive since all lights are still out.

This same thing happened to me the very first time that I tried the game and chose the BVR mission. The first time though I thought that I had accidentally jostled the plug on my computer. Also, after the first time this happened I moved the X45 to a different USB plug. That means that the missing F22.dll file and the USB plug were not the issue.

So far I have two different problems; my X45 gets completely shut down in the BVR mission and it gets a 2 second input delay in the Landing mission.

I'm going to delete all of the Glide files from the F-22 2008 folder and insert the D3D files to see if the same thing happens.

UPDATE 2:

I replaced the Glide files with D3D 800 and I'm able to play the game, but the graphics for the clouds is very blocky. I don't know if it is something that I missed in the options menu or with my graphics card. Also, regarding the pilot aids radar map, I thought that I remember being able to get the range down to 2 miles, but no matter what I do it to try and decrease the range it won't go lower than 5 miles in the MFD and when you switch back to the F1 view it is still 11 miles. That isn't a low enough range for close in guns combat.

I'm going to try and update my drivers for my graphics and maybe DirectX, but I'm going to try some other stuff first. I don't have any problems with the map so I only want to do that as a last resort. I might try using the D3D 1020 first to see if that helps.

It would seem that I can't use Glide although that is just my opinion. Hopefully some of you might be able to give me some guidance whenever you check this thread. Until then, I'll keep plugging along myself.

Boy it's sad to see how much my skills have declined.

Ramjet,

I can't say for certain what the issue is on your end, but I might be able to clear some things up.

1) the f22.dll is only used with the head-tracking version of F22 (e.g. TrackIR). If you installed the old version that doesn't support TrackIR, then the dll file is never called.

2) The MFDs are limited in zoom to the 5/11 view. This is not a bug.

3) It is unlikely that 1024 will help, though you are welcome to try. However, you'll want to download my config script if you are going to be tweaking the options menu.

4) You shouldn't need to delete any files from your F-22 2008 folder in order to switch between configurations. You can just copy files in and out (though copying game.cfg will reset your options). The f22.dat file is the major difference (and f22.dll is important for the TrackIR version) between configurations; everything else is support.

5) Glad to hear the stick works with D3D. I'm not sure what to tell you about the clouds. Improvements have been made, but no changes were made to the graphics engine. You might want to look for answers for regular TAW, as this has likely been seen before. SimHQ is a great site for answers; they have in the past had a very active TAW community, and its still going strong.

6) If you're at your wits end, you can always try another glide wrapper. zeckensak's wrapper is popular. We included dgVoodoo because of its ease of use and high quality, but it is by no means the only wrapper to work with TAW.

Hope this helps,

Home Fries,

The video which u made (which was really great), were u playing under Glide 1600 x 1200 resolution? I had the movie downloaded and converted to mp4 format and loaded into my PDA phone to try to generate interests among my friends. WMV format at 480p res is laggy on the pda with Mobile Medida Player (Microsoft). So far, no takers among my friends :(

I have a question about dgVoodoo wrapper. When I set in-game for glide at 800x600, BUT in dgvoodoo, I set the resolution to, say 1650x1050 (that's my 22"LCD max res), which one takes effect? Or how do I check what res I am playing?

The video which u made (which was really great), were u playing under Glide 1600 x 1200 resolution? I had the movie downloaded and converted to mp4 format and loaded into my PDA phone to try to generate interests among my friends. WMV format at 480p res is laggy on the pda with Mobile Medida Player (Microsoft). So far, no takers among my friends :(

I have a question about dgVoodoo wrapper. When I set in-game for glide at 800x600, BUT in dgvoodoo, I set the resolution to, say 1650x1050 (that's my 22"LCD max res), which one takes effect? Or how do I check what res I am playing?

2daMax,

I'll answer both of your questions.

1) I did in fact shoot the video using Glide mode in 1600x1200, and resized the video to 720x480p for upload. I feel your pain in regards to converting friends. I've been trying to do that for years. It's not like people need to be concerned about the sticker price :( . Bottom line is that people are intimidated by that which they don't understand, and only a fraction of people are willing to overcome that obstacle. Thanks for your recruiting efforts, though. Keep it up!

2) dgVoodoo will render in the resolution you specify, regardless of what resolution is indicated within TAW. What it is doing is essentially upscaling the image (not unlike what a modern DVD player will do with a 480p DVD on a 1080p screen). Your textures and fonts will be rendered in 800x600 and upscaled to 1650x1050, and the 3d objects will be rendered in 1650x1050. BTW, since TAW was originally scaled for 640x400 (and not 640x480), when setting TAW to 800x600 you will actually get a more accurate aspect ratio in widescreen. You may notice that the weapons circles are less oval and the buttons are more square.

1) the f22.dll is only used with the head-tracking version of F22 (e.g. TrackIR). If you installed the old version that doesn't support TrackIR, then the dll file is never called.

I wasn't aware that there were two different versions of F22 2008. How can you tell which one is installed?

2) The MFDs are limited in zoom to the 5/11 view. This is not a bug.

I just don't remember the defense radar screen being restricted to 11 miles in the Pilot Aids HUD. I thought that I remembered it having a lower range and it wasn't different than the screen in the defense MFD.

4) You shouldn't need to delete any files from your F-22 2008 folder in order to switch between configurations. You can just copy files in and out (though copying game.cfg will reset your options). The f22.dat file is the major difference (and f22.dll is important for the TrackIR version) between configurations; everything else is support.

Does this mean that I can just copy the files for the 1020 into F-22 2008 folder? I know that you don't recommend this if you had been using Glide (which I think would require deletion of the Glide files first), but it would be OK if you were using D3D.

5) Glad to hear the stick works with D3D. I'm not sure what to tell you about the clouds. Improvements have been made, but no changes were made to the graphics engine. You might want to look for answers for regular TAW, as this has likely been seen before. SimHQ is a great site for answers; they have in the past had a very active TAW community, and its still going strong.

I never had that problem with the clouds in the past with this particular graphics card. In fact the problem only occurred as I was flyin through some low lying cloud formations. I thought that it might be related to the cloud modding that had been done. I hoping that updating graphics drivers will do the trick.

I wasn't aware that there were two different versions of F22 2008. How can you tell which one is installed?

Does this mean that I can just copy the files for the 1020 into F-22 2008 folder? I know that you don't recommend this if you had been using Glide (which I think would require deletion of the Glide files first), but it would be OK if you were using D3D.

I never had that problem with the clouds in the past with this particular graphics card. In fact the problem only occurred as I was flyin through some low lying cloud formations. I thought that it might be related to the cloud modding that had been done. I hoping that updating graphics drivers will do the trick.

1) There are six different versions included in Beta2. There are the original versions in D3D, D3D 1024, and Glide. Then there are the same three versions, but with head-tracking support. You would know which version you have based on which version you installed, though all of them are available within the !2008 folder.

2) What I was saying about copying files vs. reinstalling was directed toward someone with no experience with TAW, as this is the simplest method to make sure your configuration is solid and uncorrupted. However, there's no reason why you can't take the !2008_v1.5B2\TAW_Patches_Eng\English_Direct3D-1024 folder and copy the contents into your 2008 folder. The glide files just won't be called by the new f22.dat. Just realize that you need to manually modify the rez line in your game.cfg (or use my script) in order to access the options menu within the game.

3) Interesting about the clouds. Do you have a copy of TAW on CD? If so, try running the original TAW and see if the problem is there. If it isn't let me know and I might have a few more steps for you to try. Also, if you could take some screenshots or a video, that might help.

hmm that was wierd I for some reason the EXE was not reading the modded version of TAW and was somehow running Normal TAW. Upon running the Red Icon when started it would not say 2008 just TAW like the Vanilla version was running?? Possible Bug??

hmm that was wierd I for some reason the EXE was not reading the modded version of TAW and was somehow running Normal TAW. Upon running the Red Icon when started it would not say 2008 just TAW like the Vanilla version was running?? Possible Bug??

Neph,

If you have regular TAW installed, the _f22.exe is likely pointing to that folder because of the registry entries put in during the original install. Check my "known issues" sticky thread to see what registry entries you need to remove. Once you remove the registry entries, the _f22.exe will look for data files in its own folder tree.

yes I had checked the known issue thread I did NOT even have TAW installed but I did check to see if those reg entrys where there they were not??

ok, had to ask.

If you're getting the loading screen without the "2008" bit, this means that somehow the exe is pointing to an original version of the load screen. This usually means that you have another install somewhere. If you don't have another install, then somehow you just the2008 load screen.

Here's another thing to check: On the main menu, is the second tab down "TRAINING" or "SINGLE MISSIONS"? When selecting the tab, how many buttons are there in the upper left corner, and what do they say?

OK, I was having some other issues with my computer that I wasn't sure if it was related to TAW. One was that the sound control was missing from the system tray. I tried several reboots and I couldn't get it back so I used System Restore to go back to a restore point that I set before installing TAW. I was getting ready to reinstall when I noticed that the DID folder and most of the contents were still there. Should I delete these prior to reinstalling TAW?

I also have a question regarding restoring my old high scores and campaign victories. How should I do this? When I installed the first time I put my old Players Folder into the F22-2008 folder, but when I started up TAW I still had to start with a new login and none of my old stuff was there. Obviously, that wasn't the correct procedure.