COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 2008 v.1.5 BETA2

OK, I was having some other issues with my computer that I wasn't sure if it was related to TAW. One was that the sound control was missing from the system tray. I tried several reboots and I couldn't get it back so I used System Restore to go back to a restore point that I set before installing TAW. I was getting ready to reinstall when I noticed that the DID folder and most of the contents were still there. Should I delete these prior to reinstalling TAW?

I also have a question regarding restoring my old high scores and campaign victories. How should I do this? When I installed the first time I put my old Players Folder into the F22-2008 folder, but when I started up TAW I still had to start with a new login and none of my old stuff was there. Obviously, that wasn't the correct procedure.

Ramjet,

The great news is that if you still have your original players folder, you have all the important data you need. Recovery is quite easy.

The thing to remember is when backing up your pilots, you copy your players folder and the players.lst file located in your main F-22 or TAW folder. The players.lst file is a pointer to the pilots in your players folder.

So assuming you have one pilot saved, here's how you recover:

1. Start with a blank slate or fresh install (don't copy your old player folder just yet).
  2. Run TAW and create the name and callsign you would like.
  3. Copy your backup players folder to your new F-22/TAW folder.
  4. Next time you run F-22/TAW, the player you select should have his old accomplishments.

If you have more than one pilot, then create all of your pilots in the order they were originally created before going to step 3.

In all likelihood, the above steps will work as advertised. If they do not, then you need to go a little deeper.

Whenever you create a new pilot in TAW, it creates a numbered folder in the players folder, starting with zero. So if you have 3 pilots saved, you will have folders 0, 1, and 2 in your players folder. TAW will also add an entry to your players.lst with the name callsign, folder, and associated pilot and squadron pics. The folder name in your players folder must match the folder name listed in players.lst. So if the pilot in the players folder you backed up was in the "2" folder, you can either create 3 pilots (making the last pilot you create the one you want to be the recovered pilot) before going to step 3, or you can create a single pilot in step 2 and rename the "2" folder you wish to restore to "0" and then go to step 3.

You can also edit the players.lst file to rename the folder from "0" to "2" (or whatever your original folder was called) as well.

As far as deletions go, you don't need to delete the folder, but I recommend it in order to ensure a consistent install. Go ahead and back up your players.lst, players folder, and game.cfg prior to deletion. You can also run the uninstall.exe in the main F-22 folder, which will do the same thing (though it won't prompt you to backup your player files).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been having notheing but trouble since trying to get TAW to work on my system. Last night I reinstalled it, loaded it, then quit and then I put my old 0 folder in the players folder. I started TAW back up and for some reason it didn't recognize all of my old achievements. It recognized my medals and scores, but it didn't recognize all of the campaigns I had won and only three of the training missions that I had completed (which was all of them).

When I quit TAW, and rebooted I started having problems with my system again. I started my x45 profile and then went to adjust the sound in the systray and when I clicked it I got a continuous bell sound until I clicked out of it. I then went to wordpad and when I clicked the mouse in the window I got a contiuous string of characters until I shut the profile off. I tried this procedure several more times then my screen flickered a couple of times and then the sound icon disappeared again.

I went and did a system restore again back to when I first installed the x45 software which was last Sunday. After the windows booted I got a message from my McAfee security suite that several problems existed and needed to be fixed. Some of these were related to the firewall and scanners. I tried to get it to fix the problems, but got a message that there were several errors and all of the problems couldn't be fixed. After 2 hours chatting with the tech support guy he tells me that I have to uninstall it and reinstall (I can't believe that they pay these guys and that's the pat answer you always get and not just from McAfee).

Since I somewhat of a masochist, I decided to try to figure out what exactly is happening. When i decided to test the new TAW I did three things; I installed the x45 software and drivers, installed TAW and updated my video drivers. I going to try and determine which of these is the culprit. Since I suspect that it is TAW I decided to try it first. When I went to the DID folder I noticed that it is now DID2. I don't know why because I deleted the old folder before the second install. I though that was weird. Since I didn't see an uninstaller I just deleted the folder.

That's where I am at the moment. I'm going to work this out before I fix my security suite because I don't want to do that again.

I followed this procedure and it appears that TAW is running in 600X800.

First installed TAW2008, then updated video drivers and overclocking hack for video card. Lastly, I installed the X45 drivers and software. After each step I loaded TAW and played a couple missions, quit, restarted and checked to make sure my system was working correctly. I did this several times before proceeding to the next step.

I'm going to run through a few more missions before trying higher resolutions or mods. Hopefully, I have everything installed correctly and I can keep on playing.

Hi all

I've installed the amazing F-22 2008 v.1.5 Beta2 but I'm having just one problem. The F12 key view. When I press the F12 my system freezes for some seconds and CTD.

I'd like to know what can I do to fix this problem.

I'm running the game in a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz, 1Gb RAM, RADEON 9600XT 128MB video card, DirectX9.0C and Windows XP

Thanks in advance

Hi all

I've installed the amazing F-22 2008 v.1.5 Beta2 but I'm having just one problem. The F12 key view. When I press the F12 my system freezes for some seconds and CTD.

I'd like to know what can I do to fix this problem.

I'm running the game in a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz, 1Gb RAM, RADEON 9600XT 128MB video card, DirectX9.0C and Windows XP

Thanks in advance

numsei,

Assuming you are running in Direct3D, F12 crashes are a known issue with a workaround. Please see entry #7 on my known issues thread; I just updated this today to help clarify things. I realize that this is primarily an issue with nVidia cards, but your ATI card looks to be showing the same symptoms.

using the glide wrapper has no issues with F12 key. My video card is Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX. Previously with D3D (1024 x 768) and version 1 of the BETA, F12 key gave problems.

I am getting a hang of this game now. Manage to dogfight in the training mission and come out victorious. I still have problems avoiding Radar lock missiles. Any tips to evade and survive this kind of threat? For IR missiles, I just switch off my engines and flare up.

I manage to program my CH Pro Throttle but with difficulty. Only workable in my older computer but in real DOS mode. In win98, the speedkeys programming don't work. Even then in DOS mode, using the DOS utility for programming, I could not call up the KEYBOARD to key in the Numerical keys, as well as the Functional Keys.

using the glide wrapper has no issues with F12 key. My video card is Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX. Previously with D3D (1024 x 768) and version 1 of the BETA, F12 key gave problems.

I am getting a hang of this game now. Manage to dogfight in the training mission and come out victorious. I still have problems avoiding Radar lock missiles. Any tips to evade and survive this kind of threat? For IR missiles, I just switch off my engines and flare up.

Glad to see all is going well with the game. Now you can fight the enemy forces rather than your hardware configuration.

For countering missiles, there is a fighter pilot axiom "Fight missiles with aspect". What this means is that if you put the missile on your beam, this gives you the greatest relative shift to the missile. This makes the missile lead you at the maximum amount in order to be able to intercept.

Once you've done this, keep an eye on your defensive MFD (and that ominous incoming yellow dot in particular :) ) When it gets close, break hard into the missile while changing altitude (i.e. make the missile adjust in two axes) and pump chaff/flares (depending on the missile type). This forces the missile to go from a massive lead angle to a major course correction, and it's often too much for the missile to handle (and sometimes it just bites on the chaff and doesn't even try to correct).

The timing of this maneuver is critical. Problem is that by the time you can see the missile it's usually to late to start your break. You just need to know when, although since the F-22 uses the smart countermeasure system, you can usually start your break when you hear the chaff and flares dispense heavily without your say-so.

I manage to program my CH Pro Throttle but with difficulty. Only workable in my older computer but in real DOS mode. In win98, the speedkeys programming don't work. Even then in DOS mode, using the DOS utility for programming, I could not call up the KEYBOARD to key in the Numerical keys, as well as the Functional Keys.

I'm understanding this as being a DOS era throttle that daisy chains with the keyboard for button programming. Is this correct?

If so, one thing that might work is attaching the throttle/keyboard to a KVM switch that goes between your gaming rig and your DOS rig. This way you should be able to program the throttle and then switch back to the game you want to play.

Special thanks for you and the gang for bringing back a favorite sim. Just one question, is there a way to break out the MFDs into their own screen?

You're welcome.

By breaking out MFDs, I assume you mean be able to generate separate screens for something like a working MFD in a home cockpit. Unfortunately, I know of no way to do this.

numsei,

Assuming you are running in Direct3D, F12 crashes are a known issue with a workaround. Please see entry #7 on my known issues thread; I just updated this today to help clarify things. I realize that this is primarily an issue with nVidia cards, but your ATI card looks to be showing the same symptoms.

Thank you Home Fries for your help!

Home fries, thanks for the tip to evade the radar missiles. Would u be able to release a video on this maneuver, and perhaps include it when the V1.5 release is out. It would be so cool. Anyway, don't take this as a demand but a humble request.

I am not out of the woods yet on the gaming hardware, particularly the CH Pro throttle. So far, Win98 on the old rig refuses to see the throttle under Speedkeys, which means that I cannot program the throttle with my F22 TAW template which I made 10 years ago. Fortunately, under real DOS in win98, the PTMENU.exe dos program can see the throttle and allows programming. But PTMENU is not compatible with Speedkeys template. The sad part is, the virtual keyboard in which special keys like Function Keys, Numeric keys, ALT, SHIFT, CTRL keys can be programmed, cannot be invoke. I think I need a PS/2 mouse to be able to use a mouse under DOS in order for me to click on this virtual keyboard buttons. So, I can't program the MFDs onto the throttle since the keys are the Numeric Pad keys.

So far, I've tried DOSbox under XP (real DOS emulation). The only thing that works is the JCENTER program to calibrate the joystick mechanical trims. It refuses to see the throttle. This has got to do with the soundcard, ESS Maestro 1968s. The gameport needs Win98 to be able to function. It won't work under true DOS.

I have just purchased a new PCI soundcard, ESS Allegro 1988s and I hope it would support native DOS. This soundcard came with Win9X/ME/2K/XP drivers, so at least it supports XP, which the Maestro doesn't. I actually use a win2k driver to make the maestro work in XP. I also went around some PC shops to look for the USB-Gameport converter. None carries it and they won't even want to order it for me. (Americans/Canadians - count yourself blessed since this device is readily available).

I've still got an even older rig, using AMD K6-2 processor, AT form factor, serial mouse. This is my next route to get the throttle programmed.

I am beginning to see more ex-F22 gamers coming back. If any of you have the same gaming gameport rig like mine, hope u can share your solutions.

Your solution was perfect. Problem fixed. Thanks again.

Just curious... Do you have an idea when the definitive v.1.5 will be released?

Glad to hear it.

As far as 1.5 final goes, I don't have a timeline for this. There are a lot of things that need to fall into place, and some of the key players in this game have had real life interrupt their modding time. This is one of the reasons we released Beta 2. Beta 2 is light years ahead of v1R, and should be able to hold you over until we get all of our ducks in a row.

In the meantime, please try the ADF/RSO multiplayer missions and report back on how those go. I would love to polish that gem and put a smooth version into 1.5. Please see the other sticky for details.

Thanks,

Well I thought I had the problem solved but then the x45 started to get stuck while running a training mission. I thought that maybe the problem is with the Saitek software so I went through several system restores and I had to load the McAfee again. When I did the restore the icon for F22 disappeared from my desktop and now all of the folders have a (2) next to them. I took a screen shot but I don't know how to insert into the post.

I know that I just deleted the DiD directory because I didn't see any uninstaller. I wanted to install TAW one more time to see if my x45 is bad or it was the software. I'm going to try and use XDProfile to see if that will work. As I was programming the x45 I noticed that once again the sound icon is missing from the system tray. I know that there is a way to get it back, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I was really starting to get into TAW again, so I would like to try this one more time. I'm going to delete the DiD folder again (I hope that's the way to do it) and then reinstall and hopefully my X45 will work. If it turns out to be bad, then that's the end for me. I really don't want to get a new one (this one was hardly used) and I don't like playing flightsims without a HOTAS.

Well I thought I had the problem solved but then the x45 started to get stuck while running a training mission. I thought that maybe the problem is with the Saitek software so I went through several system restores and I had to load the McAfee again. When I did the restore the icon for F22 disappeared from my desktop and now all of the folders have a (2) next to them. I took a screen shot but I don't know how to insert into the post.

I know that I just deleted the DiD directory because I didn't see any uninstaller. I wanted to install TAW one more time to see if my x45 is bad or it was the software. I'm going to try and use XDProfile to see if that will work. As I was programming the x45 I noticed that once again the sound icon is missing from the system tray. I know that there is a way to get it back, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I was really starting to get into TAW again, so I would like to try this one more time. I'm going to delete the DiD folder again (I hope that's the way to do it) and then reinstall and hopefully my X45 will work. If it turns out to be bad, then that's the end for me. I really don't want to get a new one (this one was hardly used) and I don't like playing flightsims without a HOTAS.

Ok, Ramjet. We have to start from the top. Please let me know exactly what drivers you're using and also which version of F-22 2008 (e.g. D3D TrackIR, Glide non-TrackIR, etc.)

You mentioned previously that you're running XP Home edition, and you mentioned the Saitek software in this post. However you also mentioned XDprofile, which IIRC is a front end for scripts using the Dhauzimmer drivers. I could be mistaken, but I don't know that the two are compatible.

If you are using SGE, make sure you have the latest version that supports XP (I believe there's one out now that supports Vista, so you might want to try that as well). If you are using Dhauzimmer drivers, upgrade to the newest ones (I believe it's 1.200 final, not beta; it supports vista and XP).

If you've gone between SGE and Dhauzimmer, be sure to use the nukeusb utility correctly. You want to completely remove all traces of the unused driver. Personally, I like the Dhauzimmer drivers for my P8000 because they're low overhead and I don't change the programs enough to warrant a serious GUI.

SimHQ has a very good Saitek forum you may wish to try out as well.

One last thing: you shouldn't have to worry about uninstalling and reinstalling F22. The installer makes no modifications to the registry. For now, test with a non-head tracking version (so you don't need the VC++ libraries installed), follow the directions to fix your saitek gear, and give it another go.

Hope this helps.

Home Fries,

So far I have tried the Glide version which resulted in the power to the x45 getting shut down and the D3D 800 versions.

Yes, I have XP Home and I was using the latest Saitek software and Drivers from their website which were the SST software and Drivers version 4.0.100.1190. When using them I have run into a multitude of different problems both with my computer and x45 when running TAW. The first problem was a stated above when I tried the Glide wrapper.

Then after some successful attempts in D3D I would get the problem of delayed response and then a stuck response from the X45. As I said in previous posts, the problems would arise in certain scenarios within TAW. Most of the time it would seem that the problems with the x45 would arise while trying to play single combat missions. In particular, some of the training missions. The ones that I remember being the problem were the Landing Mission and the Harpoon Mission, although I think there might have been another also. Some of the training missions were no problem at all. Most of the times I had the problem, the x45 would start out ok, but part way through the mission the stick would start having the delay and the repeating signal which would cause me to have to exit out. When I would go to check the the stick in notepad I would see that there was a signal delay and then a continuous string of 8 characters. Then my system would start acting up until I shut down the profile for the stick. The only way I could get things stabilized was to reboot. After that I could start playing again for a while and then it would happen again only more quickly.

Now, that I'm writing about it, most of the time I was having problems with the x45 it was in the training mission. I specifically remember after I did the first system restore and I then reinstalled TAW and played custom combat for about two hours. I actually thought that the problem was solved, but then the next time I played that Harpoon mission I got the same problem again, but the x45 problem would always show up later the first time I played. What I mean is I played it the first time up until I was shot down (probably 10 minutes). Then I would have to reboot the computer and the next time I didn't get very far into the mission before it happened again. Each time I would reboot and go into TAW, the problem would happen quicker.

There is definitely something weird happening with my x45 and TAW which even affects the power to it when running the glide wrapper. I even noticed that when I put my old 0 folder in F22 2008 that each time different campaigns and training missions show as completed. This last time I put in the old folder my campaigns wins were missing again and one of the training missions.

You can get more in depth detail of my problems if you look at my previous posts. Right now I'm proceeding under the assumption that the SST software was the problem so I uninstalled the SST software and the Saitek drivers (NukeUSB didn't work). I downloaded the latest XDProfile and Dhauzimmer drivers from the XDProfile website. It has been awhile since I used XDProfile so I'm trying to get up to speed on it. I did make a very simple profile just to make sure that it worked in TAW (it did), but when I tried to make it a little more complex I couldn't get the X45 to work. That was stupid of me to think that I could make that leap so quickly. I going to try and get another simple profile to work so that I can try that Harpoon mission again and see if the same thing happens.

Right now I'm trying to determine if the problem is a hardware problem with the x45, the Saitek software, or the overclocking registry hack that I used. I thought that xdProfile would be a way to determine if the x45 was bad.

I'm curious if anyone else is having problems with the training missions and if they put their old 0 folder in does it show correctly.

I know one thing, I'm starting to get a little weary. I've been working on this for a week and a half now and I haven't gotten to actually play the game much at all. I haven't even gotten to try any of the mods yet. Now that I've gotten re-introduced to TAW I've become more anxious to play.

I don't know how you guys had the patience to accomplish what you did. I know I said this before, but you guys are amazing.

Now, that I'm writing about it, most of the time I was having problems with the x45 it was in the training mission. I specifically remember after I did the first system restore and I then reinstalled TAW and played custom combat for about two hours. I actually thought that the problem was solved, but then the next time I played that Harpoon mission I got the same problem again, but the x45 problem would always show up later the first time I played. What I mean is I played it the first time up until I was shot down (probably 10 minutes). Then I would have to reboot the computer and the next time I didn't get very far into the mission before it happened again. Each time I would reboot and go into TAW, the problem would happen quicker.

There is definitely something weird happening with my x45 and TAW which even affects the power to it when running the glide wrapper. I even noticed that when I put my old 0 folder in F22 2008 that each time different campaigns and training missions show as completed. This last time I put in the old folder my campaigns wins were missing again and one of the training missions.

You can get more in depth detail of my problems if you look at my previous posts. Right now I'm proceeding under the assumption that the SST software was the problem so I uninstalled the SST software and the Saitek drivers (NukeUSB didn't work). I downloaded the latest XDProfile and Dhauzimmer drivers from the XDProfile website. It has been awhile since I used XDProfile so I'm trying to get up to speed on it. I did make a very simple profile just to make sure that it worked in TAW (it did), but when I tried to make it a little more complex I couldn't get the X45 to work. That was stupid of me to think that I could make that leap so quickly. I going to try and get another simple profile to work so that I can try that Harpoon mission again and see if the same thing happens.

Wow. I'm not sure what to say here.

I think first bet for troubleshooting is to see what you do differently in the harpoon and landing missions versus the custom combat. The keystrokes for AG select and speedbrake

come to mind, though usually this type of thing is more likely to happen with a combination keypress, and even then not with any regularity. When you were testing in these missions, were you using programmed keys on the X45, or the keyboard commands themselves? I would try testing with the x45 without a program (just using the directx assignments), then trying it with the program, but using the keyboard rather than HOTAS for the commands. let me know if you still have problems.

Another thing you might try if you have an original copy of TAW lying around is to try the X45 program in that and see fif you get the same problems. If it works fine in vanilla TAW, but not 2008, that likely points to a problem in 2008.

I'm also assuming you're using the non-TrackIR versions of the exe. Is this correct? If you are using the TrackIR versions, try switching to the non-TIR and see if the problem persists.

You can also try the Dhauzimmer drivers, though definitely stick with a basic profile for starters (like you did). The Dhauzimmer drivers are powerful, but need a lot of TLC to execute complex routines correctly. Though I have to admit I'm concerned that NukeUSB didn't work in removing the SSE driver. I would check on the saitek site as well as SimHQ to see what this means and what can or should be done about it.

Also, it doesn't sound like the glide wrapper takes the blame, but if you wish to try another glide wrapper, give it a go. Zeckensack's wrapper gets good marks for working in TAW as well.

Home Fries,

I did actually complete the landing mission but that was after I switched from the Glide to the D3d version. I think that I also had the problem with the BVR mission in Glide. I'm going to have to start keeping notes of what I'm doing from now on because this is becoming complicated and hard to keep track of. I don't want to start repeating things that I've already tried.

Right now I just want to work with XDProfile to make sure that my x45 works. I'm hoping most of the problem was with the Saitek software and drivers. One thing though, when I did a system restore back to when I installed the software so maybe that is why the Nukeusb did not work. I know that when I ran it nothing was listed to remove, but I had to uninstall the X45 manually though.

I will try running the harpoon mission without a profile for the x45 to see what happens.

If I do decide to install the original TAW from the CD should I delete F22 2008 first? I know that I will have to delete some registry keys when I uninstall it.

I think that this whole thing is weird especially with my x45 going completely dead when I used the glide wrapper. I actually had to reboot the computer to get power back to it.

I'll keep you posted.

Right now I just want to work with XDProfile to make sure that my x45 works. I'm hoping most of the problem was with the Saitek software and drivers. One thing though, when I did a system restore back to when I installed the software so maybe that is why the Nukeusb did not work. I know that when I ran it nothing was listed to remove, but I had to uninstall the X45 manually though.

I will try running the harpoon mission without a profile for the x45 to see what happens.

If I do decide to install the original TAW from the CD should I delete F22 2008 first? I know that I will have to delete some registry keys when I uninstall it.

I think that this whole thing is weird especially with my x45 going completely dead when I used the glide wrapper. I actually had to reboot the computer to get power back to it.

You're right; this whole thing is weird. Interesting that your problems happen more often with glide.

As far as installing original TAW goes, you don't need to uninstall 2008. You can even keep a TAW install as well as 2008 and run them both. All you need to do is remove the TAW registry entries. Likewise, backing up the original TAW directory and then uninstalling will achieve the same results.

For the Saitek drivers, you may still have trouble because the restore point may not be as clean as a full uninstall. If this happens, you might try installing the saitek drivers from scratch (which should overwrite any orphans), then uninstall and run nukeusb (in whatever order it is supposed to be done). That should give you a clean configuration.

Anyway, please test your configuration with vanilla TAW as well as 2008, and let me know any differences. This way we can at least know if the problem is on the 2008 end, or if it involves something else entirely.

Thanks,

I was able to complete the Harpoon mission using the x45 as a basic HOTAS without programing. I had to laugh at myself pushing all those buttons on my x45 from habit and nothing was happening. So, the next step is to make a simple XDProfile and try and see if I can eliminate my x45 hardware as a problem. If I can prove to myself that the there isn't a hardware problem, then I will load up the saitek software again and try my hand at the original TAW.

It will be interesting to see if my old players folder shows my pilot record correctly in the original TAW, because it never seems to be the same in F22 2008.

Home Fries,

Appreciate the movie. Thanks a bunch!

On the hardware side, the new PCI soundcard (ESS Allegro 1988) with gameport does not work. I noticed there is no dedicated gameport chip, just one ESS chipset. No gameport was detected in XP. This card's gameport is probably a MIDI only port, not for joystick.

Switch back to the older ESS Maestro 2. Already bought a USB HDD to install Win98 and Speedkeys. Hope this configuration will work.

Home Fries,

Appreciate the movie. Thanks a bunch!

On the hardware side, the new PCI soundcard (ESS Allegro 1988) with gameport does not work. I noticed there is no dedicated gameport chip, just one ESS chipset. No gameport was detected in XP. This card's gameport is probably a MIDI only port, not for joystick.

Switch back to the older ESS Maestro 2. Already bought a USB HDD to install Win98 and Speedkeys. Hope this configuration will work.

2daMax,

Have you considered a dual boot configuration? As long as you install 98 first, you should be able to install XP on top of it and use XP's boot.ini. There are other, fancier solutions (I like BootIt NG myself), but if you're willing to reinstall XP (you should be able to use the settings transfer wizard) this might be a way to go.