COMBATSIM Forum

resurrecting DID.DAT?

well, I have no idea how the files are aligned, or what other info is put in DID.DAT besides the files themselves..

major disadvantage consists of the fact that "easy" modding (i.e. manual replacement of files and mission making) will be gone.

major advantage -- game load time drastically shortened, this also goes for installation time.

I've got a hunch that DID.DAT is just all the game files concatenated alphabetically by filename and path.

anybody want this to be done? and heh, CAN anybody do it?

I remember that long time ago someone used a hex editor and found out, that there are all files in it compressed with a kind of zip tool. Steve Hunt, formally a member of the DID crew told us, that there s some kind of security check which will prevent of changing files there. When i remember right, this way was used for faster loading time??? (maybe all that files will get decompressed into RAM if possible, i remember some support comment by DID, that TAW will use all available RAM .)

At first should be checked, which tool was used , as i remember right, Steve Hunt wrote about a tool specially adapted for DID s needs.

Next: If there really is some kind of file checking active- ( MD5 Checksum maybe?) this needs to get deactivated.

Seems to be hard work...

I've got a hunch that DID.DAT is just all the game files concatenated alphabetically by filename and path.

anybody want this to be done? and heh, CAN anybody do it?

Steve Hunt, formally a member of the DID crew told us, that there s some kind of security check which will prevent of changing files there.

:blink:

he was referring probably to RA encryption used in Red Sea Operations.

we got passed that nasty bit.

thing is, I don't know how to bunch them together, and I don't know if it's worth it..

certainly worth it for slow computers, but let's face it. we're not in 1997 anymore.

It's maybe possible to repack did.dat although I don't know if the risk of failure is worth the effort.

did.dat has a 12 byte header, the first 4 bytes of which give the file offset of the index located at the end of the file. The index starts with a list of directories and extensions and then a 12 byte entry for each file. There is a 4 byte 'identifier', then 4 bytes for the file size and 4 bytes for the offset within did.dat.