COMBATSIM Forum

TAW 2.0 Incremental Updates

Home Fries

Yes, I agree. I noticed the old rocket pods underwing, I have always been curious as to whether or not the tri-pod arrangement was a legitimate one. I have taken the liberty to make a change in the rocket pod canister without changing the number of Lau-68 rockets (30 per pod). I could use some feedback on this look, pro or con ;)

NOTE: The Pylons have not yet been altered, ie., those are the old pylons, but we have a huge number of unused pylons and only need to match the appropriate ones.

Very, very, nice. :thumbsup:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The F/A-22 has a Large Area Clipped Delta Type Wing. The significantly large surface area tends to dwarf the Lau68 Pod (some Pod scale adjustments are being sought). The F/A-22 wing contains 4 large, long 'Hardpoints' or 'Pylon Stations' and, as can be seen from the screen captures, that specific Lau68 model attaches directly to the Hardpoint. This results in the Lau68 canister being too close to the hollow, titanium wing structure with it's fuel containment's. Not good, very bad...plane go BOOM! :o

What we propose to do is attempt to install our most favorite 'Blue 4-Point Pylons' :D to remedy that very dangerous configuration. (It is either that or increase our Fire and Life Policies ;) )

F222010-08-1923-30-36-41.jpg

F222010-08-1923-23-44-73.jpg

Doesn't matter to me; just wondering what you had in mind. I just saw that the blue rack was a TER, and thought you might have something in mind.

The single pod looks more realistic, but the TER matches the armament with the system view and the weapons loadout view. Of course, "realism" is all relative since nobody in their right mind would use a F-22 for CAS like that.

I'll check it out when I get home, but I believe that the rocket pods on the TER disappear once they have been used up (I know they disappear on the system display). It's just that having a single pod, we would need to make sure that it didn't disappear until all rockets were fired.

Doesn't matter to me; just wondering what you had in mind. I just saw that the blue rack was a TER, and thought you might have something in mind.

The single pod looks more realistic, but the TER matches the armament with the system view and the weapons loadout view. Of course, "realism" is all relative since nobody in their right mind would use a F-22 for CAS like that.

I'll check it out when I get home, but I believe that the rocket pods on the TER disappear once they have been used up (I know they disappear on the system display). It's just that having a single pod, we would need to make sure that it didn't disappear until all rockets were fired.

I agree that realism is an advantage for most. The fact is that, with respect to the F/A-22 TER / 120 Hydra-70 rockets in the current configuration, 'gameplay' was the objective not realism. If you look at the number of rocket tubes on the texture overlay, although it is 'realistic' for the Lau-68 D/A Launcher, you still only come up with 21 rockets per TER, not 30 per TER as is the current default...but who's counting <_< .

The pods decrement in relationship to the number of rockets remaining. The decrement appears to be hardcoded and transitions automatically to the next .3 file in the order. The standard order is f3lau68 >>> f2lau68 >>> f1lau68, the single launcher change is 'realistic' and consistent with the default decrements.

That settles it then!

A single pod for f3lau68 thru f1lau68, and the TER graphic on the system display is just a quick ammo counter. Especially since the LAU pod already does 7x3 (and 7x4 for 28, close to 30 isn't much of a stretch), this works without having to "justify" putting it on a TER.

Speaking of TER, I don't see anything wrong with just attaching the LAU directly to the external hardpoint, life insurance policy notwithstanding. <_< If we're talking about a single rocket pod, it wouldn't break my heart to see the pod hanging from the hardpoint without the blue TER in the middle. Of course, if you have a single hardpoint extender, that might work well.

On a separate, yet related tangent, how difficult would it be to extend the length of the pod to match up with the existing hardpoint? This might be a way to visually justify the 7x4 configuration, though such a detail is a low priority at best.

That settles it then!

A single pod for f3lau68 thru f1lau68, and the TER graphic on the system display is just a quick ammo counter. Especially since the LAU pod already does 7x3 (and 7x4 for 28, close to 30 isn't much of a stretch), this works without having to "justify" putting it on a TER.

Speaking of TER, I don't see anything wrong with just attaching the LAU directly to the external hardpoint, life insurance policy notwithstanding. <_< If we're talking about a single rocket pod, it wouldn't break my heart to see the pod hanging from the hardpoint without the blue TER in the middle. Of course, if you have a single hardpoint extender, that might work well.

On a separate, yet related tangent, how difficult would it be to extend the length of the pod to match up with the existing hardpoint? This might be a way to visually justify the 7x4 configuration, though such a detail is a low priority at best.

The systems display issue, IIRC, could be simple tfx.fig (Huddle Folder) edit. The Loadout GUI change, you would know more about than I. I'm working on a hardpoint extender now. The opcodes for scale don't seem to respond to current attempts to extend the canister length, but still working on that. Recoding the vertices, etc. for the tube is another solution but, in my opinion, would be the last resort ;)

PS: The file I'm using is a type 0083 substitution. If you're okay with the launcher on the hardpoint, a quick and easy 0087 type file substitution would be to take the lau68 file 'xlau68.3' copy thrice and substitute for 'f1lau68.3', 'f2lau68.3' and 'f3lau68.3'. ;)

The systems display issue, IIRC, could be simple tfx.fig (Huddle Folder) edit. The Loadout GUI change, you would know more about than I. I'm working on a hardpoint extender now. The opcodes for scale don't seem to respond to current attempts to extend the canister length, but still working on that. Recoding the vertices, etc. for the tube is another solution but, in my opinion, would be the last resort ;)

I don't blame you for balking; the only experimentation I've done with 3 files is texture placement/orientation. I figure that actually modifying the 3 file is harder than one might initially think.

As far as GUI goes, I can probably do that. I just have to drop in the proper gadget for a single weapon (like for the GBU). The new LAU-68 pod should display properly in the preview window.

PS: The file I'm using is a type 0083 substitution. If you're okay with the launcher on the hardpoint, a quick and easy 0087 type file substitution would be to take the lau68 file 'xlau68.3' copy thrice and substitute for 'f1lau68.3', 'f2lau68.3' and 'f3lau68.3'. ;)

Whatever you wish to do; it's your show.

DKD,

As far as tweaking the GUI, the law of unintended consequences caught up with us. I was able to modify the GUI to make the bitmaps correspond to the single hardpoint, but the size of the GADGET is triple size, as is seen in the following pic:

moddedlaugadget.jpg

The background color defaults to black, and can be changed on the same line, but that will still show a grey block instead of the texture, and the GADGET will still be off center (I had to adjust the coordinates of the GADGET because the bitmaps are top-left justified to the coordinates). AFAIK, the GADGETs themselves are hard-coded into the EXE, so we're likely up against a dead end here.

Personally, I don't have any heartburn with keeping the TER graphics on the loadscreen. Just unfortunate that the GADGETs themselves cannot be sized and resized.

Speaking of TER, I don't see anything wrong with just attaching the LAU directly to the external hardpoint, life insurance policy notwithstanding. <_< If we're talking about a single rocket pod, it wouldn't break my heart to see the pod hanging from the hardpoint without the *blue TER in the middle. Of course, if you have a single hardpoint extender, that might work well.

On a separate, yet related tangent, how difficult would it be to **extend the length of the pod to match up with the existing hardpoint? This might be a way to visually justify the 7x4 configuration, though such a detail is a low priority at best.

* Is it likely the TER would be blue or should in match the normal skin colour?

** Yes ........ it just looks to short to me (not that I would know ..... :lol: ).

But .... gees ..... what an improvement to the original pods. :thumbsup:

* Is it likely the TER would be blue or should in match the normal skin colour?

** Yes ........ it just looks to short to me (not that I would know ..... :lol: ).

But .... gees ..... what an improvement to the original pods. :thumbsup:

Thanks Wombat, I didn't quite pick up the color concern. The TER could be blue or any color needed to match the camo.

Currently working on a fix for the pod/hardpoint issue :)

Here I changed the color to match the fuselage:

F222010-08-2023-38-21-37.jpg

F222010-08-2023-35-45-77.jpg

Thanks Wombat, I didn't quite pick up the color concern. The TER could be blue or any color needed to match the camo.

Here I changed the color to match the fuselage:

No problem. Thanks

I really wasn't all that concerned about the color; that's easily changed in the 3 file. That said, the grey TER looks awesome.

My concern was more for using a TER where there would be a single munition loaded on the hardpoint, which is also why I brought up the triple issue in the first place.

No worries. :thumbsup:

I really wasn't all that concerned about the color; that's easily changed in the 3 file. That said, the grey TER looks awesome.

My concern was more for using a TER where there would be a single munition loaded on the hardpoint, which is also why I brought up the triple issue in the first place.

No worries. :thumbsup:

Just a quick update.

We can always alter the color, or even convert to textures, as you said. In fact, I'll experiment with the Gouraud shading applications to see what that looks like :)

The issue of realism is a valid one so I did some further research. The Lau-68 D/A Rocket launcher, like the M260 (see below), attaches to the mount using Suspension Lugs. This is more consistent with mounting directly to the hardpoints as opposed to using a TER or Rail-type Pylon.

kpm260.gif

Initially the approach was to create a hybrid file for the launcher, however, it was more reasonable to make adaptive changes to both the launcher and the hardpoint. Initially, I simply could not recall where the hardpoint code was located. Once it was located I increased the height by 50% to drop the pylon station down further. The launcher was then altered to attach to the hardpoint site, leaving a tiny gap to simulate the Suspension Lug type attachment.

F222010-08-2300-06-14-60B.jpg

F222010-08-2223-55-34-17A.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, everybody. I used to play F-22 TAW about 10 years ago. I just purchased a much newer computer with XP and now have Internet again. What is this about a new version of F-22 TAW? What do I have to download and where to I find it or them. I see there are many updates as well. I will also have to install a PCI game card because these new computers don't include one and I have the old Thrustmaster H.O.T.A.S.

any help would be appreciated.

Welcome, MajDamage.

For your first question, check the other sticky threads on this board. You'll find that TAW 2.0 is a free, self contained download. You don't need the original TAW installed, and you should actually make sure that the CD is not in the drive when you play TAW 2.0.

For the TM stick, I'm assuming you mean the F-16 or F-22 FLCS/TQS. If you have a soundcard with a gameport, this will work. There are even third party gameport drivers for the major soundcards that will work in Vista if you need them (MS dropped gameport support with Vista and later). Hopefully, you have Bob Church's digital upgrade, which will make life easier in windows.

HTH.

Hi, everybody. I used to play F-22 TAW about 10 years ago. I just purchased a much newer computer with XP and now have Internet again. What is this about a new version of F-22 TAW? What do I have to download and where to I find it or them. I see there are many updates as well. I will also have to install a PCI game card because these new computers don't include one and I have the old Thrustmaster H.O.T.A.S.

any help would be appreciated.

Welcome. I'm also a TAW returning player. You'll love TAW 2.0. Its got all those things that TAW would have liked to include but never did. (ie. decoys). If you have the internet don't forget Multiplay. I've joined the boys as a rank beginner, but the tips and tricks that you learn from others is just invaluable. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...