COMBATSIM Forum

TAW 2.0 Known Issues and Bug Reports

Home Fries

With the 8800, you certainly have the hardware to run in Glide mode in 1600x1200. Just check the Manual Addendum for the recommended settings (the default settings are max compatibility, not max performance).

I'll query this later, but it might have some thing to do with my problem.

However, don't want you to digress from Gtyk problem at the moment ..... :)

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the 8800, you certainly have the hardware to run in Glide mode in 1600x1200. Just check the Manual Addendum for the recommended settings (the default settings are max compatibility, not max performance).

Thanks HF for help. The game works fine in Glide under D3D9.

Will I be able to play the game D3D 1024x768?

Under Glide despite the dgVoodoo resolution adjustment to 1680X1050, cockpit seems to be under 800X600.

Thanks HF for help. The game works fine in Glide under D3D9.

Will I be able to play the game D3D 1024x768?

Under Glide despite the dgVoodoo resolution adjustment to 1680X1050, cockpit seems to be under 800X600.

As for the first question, I don't know. The original 1024x768 is essentially an EXE hack, and obviously you found one of the few issues with that. I'm going with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy on this one. That said, if you decide to try D3D 1024 one more time, you can always revert to Glide and your dgVoodoo settings will still be there.

So far as dgVoodoo goes, you're right. The game thinks it's in 800x600, and the Glide wrapper interprets it at 800x600, then upconverts it to your specified resolution. The 3D objects and terrain will look great, but the fonts and textures will look about the same. You should try antialiasing; Glide looks stellar with 4x4 FSAA enabled.

As for the first question, I don't know. The original 1024x768 is essentially an EXE hack, and obviously you found one of the few issues with that. I'm going with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy on this one. That said, if you decide to try D3D 1024 one more time, you can always revert to Glide and your dgVoodoo settings will still be there.

So far as dgVoodoo goes, you're right. The game thinks it's in 800x600, and the Glide wrapper interprets it at 800x600, then upconverts it to your specified resolution. The 3D objects and terrain will look great, but the fonts and textures will look about the same. You should try antialiasing; Glide looks stellar with 4x4 FSAA enabled.

Sorry for being such a pain...How could I enable 4x4 FSAA?

Sorry for being such a pain...How could I enable 4x4 FSAA?

I use a program called nHancer, that allows you to customize your own settings for individual games, and it automatically adjusts the nvidia profiles. This is easier than the nvidia control panel (which is also an option for enabling FSAA).

I use a program called nHancer, that allows you to customize your own settings for individual games, and it automatically adjusts the nvidia profiles. This is easier than the nvidia control panel (which is also an option for enabling FSAA).

I have nhancer installed, but I rarely used it.

What is the Hex value for TAW?

If you do not know which executable should I use _F22.exe or tawmanu.exe?

I have nhancer installed, but I rarely used it.

What is the Hex value for TAW?

If you do not know which executable should I use _F22.exe or tawmanu.exe?

I did both _f22.exe and f22.dat. tawmenu.exe is only the launcher, and doesn't use 3D acceleration

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting Flyboys ...

I've bug for my pilot profile. I can't find the logs for that.

Here : my pilot scores always reset to zero. So, it always need 500 points for next promotion.

And it always reset to 1st wing (I mean 1 yellow aircraft sign).

But the points of deaths, ejects, success and other are counted.

I need help ... please ....

Greeting Flyboys ...

I've bug for my pilot profile. I can't find the logs for that.

Here : my pilot scores always reset to zero. So, it always need 500 points for next promotion.

And it always reset to 1st wing (I mean 1 yellow aircraft sign).

But the points of deaths, ejects, success and other are counted.

I need help ... please ....

Welcome, Helgeduelbeck.

I can't say for sure what the issue is, so please try the following:

Create a new pilot character and start him in a campaign. See if the problem persists.

Some other things I'd like to know:

1. Are you consistently winning missions? (a losing mission nets a negative score, which will keep you at zero)
  2. What operating system are you using? If Vista/Win7, in what folder is TAW 2.0 installed?
  3. Do your victories/failures track in single missions? (i.e. do you get a red or green stamp when you do a training mission?)

Hello to all. I've downloaded the TAW v2.11 and tried to play, but when i click on the screen of the TAW to play this error message appears: Can't find file d:\pcx\background\bg02.pcx . I'm using Vista and i installed it on the C: directory what makes the d: requisition really wierd and i didn't put it in the program files, just like you recomended but i don't know what went wrong. Another thing is if you know how to fiz the sound in the regular ADF f22, because i know you have to tiurn of the music to this game work. So please help me!

Thanks!

Joselito,

I'm assuming you disabled all mods prior to patching to 2.11, but if you didn't you will want to reinstall from scratch. That is an intriguing error because the message assumes that TAW 2.0 is installed to your d:\.

One remote possibility is that your d drive is your CD-ROM, and you have a version of the original TAW installed on your system. In this case the registry entries from the original TAW might be interfering with TAW 2.0. There is an explanation in the first thread that tells you which registry entries to remove.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to say on that error, so here are some things you might try:

1) Enable the GUI - ADF Inspired Menu or the GUI - Jolly07's Modern Menu using Generic Mod Enabler, and see if the error persists. If the error is fixed, then you likely have a corrupted patch, and should disable the GUI mod, re-download the 2.11 patch and try again.

2) If you still have trouble, try uninstalling TAW 2.0, then reinstall 2.10. Run 2.10 and make sure the error doesn't come up before patching to 2.11.

If you still have trouble with a 2.10 install, please let me know.

Hi man. I've solved the problem and it was really simple. The problems was, as you suggested before, that on my Cd-rom drive (D:) was the original cd of the adf-f22. So I ejected the cd and the game worked perfectly! Just one more thing, theres is any patch opf the TAW with the Tour of Duty of the ADF-f22?

Thanks for the help!

Hi man. I've solved the problem and it was really simple. The problems was, as you suggested before, that on my Cd-rom drive (D:) was the original cd of the adf-f22. So I ejected the cd and the game worked perfectly! Just one more thing, theres is any patch opf the TAW with the Tour of Duty of the ADF-f22?

Thanks for the help!

Glad it worked for you.

As far as ADF/RSO missions go, they can be played individually from the Single Missions (formerly Training) menu. However, there's no way at this time to collect stats and decorations from them.

BTW, you can now play ADF/RSO missions in multiplayer as well!

I am presently running under Glide, DX3D9 mode, but the game runs slowly, and I cannot figure out why the game sometimes drops its FPS.

It happens at some points during the game, it drops down and feels overall laggy, and controls likewise, to engage the airbrake I have to hold the key a second before it responds, and that is not very ideal.

If it makes any difference I am running Windows 7, as for the hardware specs, I don't think I can go much higher.

Intel Core i7 920 / Xeon W3520 (Same chip)

6Gb of RAM

ATi Radeon HD 5970 in CrossFire with a 5870.

X58 Based EVGA 3X SLi Classified motherboard.

To top off the system requirements TAW rests on a nice 80Gb Intel Generation 2 SSD so power is top knotch yet the game runs slowly.

As for Direct 3D itself, it won't run at all, 800x600 pops up as "Unsupported resolution" even if I try to dial it in as 1024.

I am presently running under Glide, DX3D9 mode, but the game runs slowly, and I cannot figure out why the game sometimes drops its FPS.

It happens at some points during the game, it drops down and feels overall laggy, and controls likewise, to engage the airbrake I have to hold the key a second before it responds, and that is not very ideal.

If it makes any difference I am running Windows 7, as for the hardware specs, I don't think I can go much higher.

Intel Core i7 920 / Xeon W3520 (Same chip)

6Gb of RAM

ATi Radeon HD 5970 in CrossFire with a 5870.

X58 Based EVGA 3X SLi Classified motherboard.

To top off the system requirements TAW rests on a nice 80Gb Intel Generation 2 SSD so power is top knotch yet the game runs slowly.

You're right; the game should have no problems running in Glide. If you followed the section in the Manual Addendum, then I'm not sure what to say, except to try forcing it to 800x600 and see if things improve. If 800x600 works, try ramping up your resolutions from there.

One more thing: if you have no problems with the 2D menus, please let me know what version of Catalyst drivers you use, and what adjustments, if any, you made to the Control Panel. I don't have a newer ATI card, but we've had people CTD with the menus, and it appears that the newer Catalyst drivers have issues with older DirectDraw games (e.g. Age of Empires, TAW in menus).

As for Direct 3D itself, it won't run at all, 800x600 pops up as "Unsupported resolution" even if I try to dial it in as 1024.

The D3D 1024 resolution is an EXE hack that prevents you from using the Options menu in-game. You need to use the "Configure D3D 1024" button in the TAW Launcher to make adjustments. Again, see the Manual Addendum for further details.

As for my cats I am running Beta 10.5 drivers, and have been doing that for a month or so, the basic idea why I went with these is that the 5970 didn't work correctly prior, issues in 2D mode and black screen etc.

This driver package fixes it, 10.4 might work as it has some 2D fixes implemented that I saw on the last release notes, but I am waiting for the end of May before I upgrade my final steps.

I seem to be getting somewhere with dropping the resolution a bit, it feels smoother now at least, just gotta work out this flickering hud stuff.

What I ment with D3D that was unusable was that at 800x600 I got the "Resolution unsupported by hardware" that one persisted, at 1024 it got even stranger, the error I got there was: "Clearing the front buffer failed. An exception was encountered while performing the requested operation."

Glide works, but not Direct 3D :P

As for my cats I am running Beta 10.5 drivers, and have been doing that for a month or so, the basic idea why I went with these is that the 5970 didn't work correctly prior, issues in 2D mode and black screen etc.

This driver package fixes it, 10.4 might work as it has some 2D fixes implemented that I saw on the last release notes, but I am waiting for the end of May before I upgrade my final steps.

I seem to be getting somewhere with dropping the resolution a bit, it feels smoother now at least, just gotta work out this flickering hud stuff.

What I ment with D3D that was unusable was that at 800x600 I got the "Resolution unsupported by hardware" that one persisted, at 1024 it got even stranger, the error I got there was: "Clearing the front buffer failed. An exception was encountered while performing the requested operation."

Glide works, but not Direct 3D :P

Glad to hear that 10.5 helps with the 2D menus. I might recommend trying that when people have issues.

As far as "Resolution Unsupported" goes, was this when you tried to start a game, or when you tried to run the demo? The demo runs in 640x400, which is generally unsupported with newer hardware. The reason it works in Glide is because you are forcing it to another resolution (hence the reason I recommend forcing to at least 800x600 rather than allowing application settings).

Not sure what the deal is with the 10x7 CTD. What were you doing at the time?

Finally, at least it worked for you in Glide in 800x600 (D3D9). That's your baseline. Next, make sure that texture depth is set to Optimal (not 32 bit). That will also help your frames, at which point you can ramp up your resolution again.

EDIT: Since you have an ATI card (which generally has better OpenGL support than nVidia), you may also wish to try Zeckensack's wrapper with TAW. Instructions on download and configuration are in the Manual Addendum.

Edited by Home Fries
Zeckensack

I'll try the other wrapper and see how that reports back, I dropped the resolution and the frames still drop at times :S

Anyways that CTD occurred when I tried to any sort of flight actually, custom mission, training, campaign etc, anywhere you would find yourself in the cockpit of the F-22.

I am again running Windows 7, but Aero is disabled so the OS should run pure 2D and not hog my GPU around.

But the game is playable, and sometimes changing from full cockpit to just the HUD (Hitting F1.) seems to help with the framerate, sometimes but not always.

I can then sometimes switch back to the cockpit and it will retain its framerate, but there seems to be a random factor involved here too.

just gotta work out this flickering hud stuff.

That was happening with me. I fixed it by selecting the res (in my case 1600 x 1200) which was used to override the "set by the application" option. I Also run with the IRTrack .EXE even if not using IRTrack hardware. Make sure the anti-aliasing is set to zero (ie. turned off) in the game.cfg file. I have TAW2.0 running on a notebook and also my PC (see signature below for details) with Glide now running with both (IMHO is better than D3D), but the setting in the wrapper are different for each. You need to keep tweeking. I also had the the very slow Frame Rate, but there was something running hard in the background (can't think what now). When I shut that down I had to keep using the F22 air brake to slow it down. ;) Hope all this helps. See you in multiplay with Teamspeak. Really sought it out then. :thumbsup:

Alright, changed glide emulator and now it is running super smooth!

I finally get the brakes to work properly, now it is time to make my airbrake work a little better, and that means moving it to my pedals, which is normally kinda hard to do with TAW only supporting my Sidewinder Force Feedback2 joystick and no other extra input devices.

But thanks to Logitech I can use my 3 pedals of the G25 wheel to something useful by using key emulations :P

Alright, changed glide emulator and now it is running super smooth!

Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

But thanks to Logitech I can use my 3 pedals of the G25 wheel to something useful by using key emulations :P

Shift comma and period (< and >) are your differential wheelbrakes, if you choose to go that way. Just be aware, though, that pushing down on a pedal even while you're not on the ground will still cause the shift button to be depressed. This will affect all other key combinations. For example, if you try to generate a target list by pressing T (or a controller with "T" assigned) and you have one of the pedals inadvertently pressed, you will Accelerate Time instead. Just something you may want to consider when programming dead zones.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have been playing ADF for many years but haven't been able to recently after I upgraded to Vista. I was so stoked that I found TAW and that it works on Vista so I downloaded it and the patch. I unistalled my old copy of ADF before installing TAW. I then installed the TAW 211 patch.

The only problem I have is that every time I try to start TAW, i get the following error message 'Can't find file d:\pcx\background\bg02.pcx'. This file lies in my game directory c:\games\TAW\pcx\background but still the game system persists to look for it on a cd.

I see that a couple others had this same problem but the replies didn't seem very helpful or provide much resolutive information. There must be some way of editing the game so that it locates the files in the directory located on the hard drive? if someone could please help me, I would be most grateful!

pete,

Welcome to the forums.

Assuming that by installing TAW you meant TAW 2.10 (as opposed to the original TAW, with which the 2.11 patch is incompatible), then the answer is likely quite simple.

If your CD drive is d:, then you need to remove your ADF or TAW CD before starting the program.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Don't get too attached to 2.11. 2.12 should be released very shortly (as in refresh your browser every couple hours shortly). ;)

Hi Home Fries! Thanks for the reply. I downloaded TAW 2.10 along with the 2.11 patch. I don't have a copy of the original TAW but I do own an original copy of ADF but as I said, I made sure it was uninstalled before installing TAW 2.10 and the 2.11 patch. I even checked the registry, as mentioned in the first post of this thread, for the TAW and ADF registry files and they do not exist so there is nothing to delete. It must be code in the 2.10 version that I downloaded but I did read somewhere in this thread or forum that TAW 2.10 does not install registry entries? Is there no other way to work around this problem?