COMBATSIM Forum

TAW 2.0 Known Issues and Bug Reports

Home Fries

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't mention it. That's something to add to the first thread.

BTW, you can have an ADF install coexist with TAW 2.0, though it pays to remove any registry entries to prevent incompatibilities.

I keep a copy of ADF on my drive as well, and I've suffered no ill effects.

Hi all,

Been trolling this board for a long time now, but never really had to post since every issue that has ever come up was solved by HF or some other guru. I now have a little problem that I can't solve, and frankly, it is really bumming me out.

I simply can't hear any audio in game, ie B@#$#ing Betty, or any other radio chatter. I read all the supported materials and reinstalled the TSP codecs in 2.10 ADF folder, but that didn't seem to help. I believe this issue is not with the game, rather it is with my system's ability to play any of the .wav sounds above 8kbps. I tested the .wav files in windows media player and found only those that are 8kbps will make sound. I have tried multiple solutions, but nothing seems to be working, and I was hoping that there was a simple thing that I have not read on these boards or someone else has done that could be of help. The game plays without a hitch other than having no in game sounds; however I can turn on the EF2000 and F22 music and that works. I do have TrackIR enabled and playing at 1024x768 resolution after also getting into the options menu from that display settings screen to enable joystick and all the realism things, as well as turning all the audio settings on. 2.11 patch is installed as well, which I see I may have to DL 2.12 and install that too if I can get the audio working.

System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Asus M4A78T-E mobo

AMD PhenomII 965 x4 CPU @ 3.4ghz

8GB Corsair Dominator RAM

EVGA 8800GT video card

Via Technologies onboard surround sound currently in 5.1

All drivers are up to date

The install path is D:\DID\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 since it has been said not to install it in the program files of the C drive. My current harddrive setup is Win7 x64 on the C partition and all my games and saved data on the a larger partition designated D. Optical drive is designated E drive with no disk in it at all.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am currently still playing the game without the sound, but it is getting really crazy using only my eyeballs to realize I am getting painted or a missile is tracking.

Thank you goes out to everyone who is keeping this game alive.

Tsunamiguy

Hi all,

Been trolling this board for a long time now, but never really had to post since every issue that has ever come up was solved by HF or some other guru. I now have a little problem that I can't solve, and frankly, it is really bumming me out.

I simply can't hear any audio in game, ie B@#$#ing Betty, or any other radio chatter. I read all the supported materials and reinstalled the TSP codecs in 2.10 ADF folder, but that didn't seem to help. I believe this issue is not with the game, rather it is with my system's ability to play any of the .wav sounds above 8kbps. I tested the .wav files in windows media player and found only those that are 8kbps will make sound. I have tried multiple solutions, but nothing seems to be working, and I was hoping that there was a simple thing that I have not read on these boards or someone else has done that could be of help. The game plays without a hitch other than having no in game sounds; however I can turn on the EF2000 and F22 music and that works. I do have TrackIR enabled and playing at 1024x768 resolution after also getting into the options menu from that display settings screen to enable joystick and all the realism things, as well as turning all the audio settings on. 2.11 patch is installed as well, which I see I may have to DL 2.12 and install that too if I can get the audio working.

Asus M4A78T-E mobo

EVGA 8800GT video card

The install path is D:\DID\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 since it has been said not to install it in the program files of the C drive. My current harddrive setup is Win7 x64 on the C partition and all my games and saved data on the a larger partition designated D. Optical drive is designated E drive with no disk in it at all.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am currently still playing the game without the sound, but it is getting really crazy using only my eyeballs to realize I am getting painted or a missile is tracking.

Tsunamiguy

Hi

HF is away for the weekend, so if nobody else can help you in the meantime, just wait 'til Monday :)

Hi all,

Asus M4A78T-E mobo

EVGA 8800GT video card

Tsunamiguy

It sounds like you hit the main troubleshooting issues (and then some), so I don't have a great answer for you right now. Here are some suggestions, though:

1) Assuming the issue is with any sound in the game (and not just Betty/radio), then the problem is likely soundcard related. You might try uninstalling/reinstalling your sound drivers to see if that works. Likewise, test other wav files (sampled greater than 8kbps) to see if the problem persists outside of the game.

2) If the problem is only with betty/radio, and you can play those wav files individually, the problem is in all likelihood with the TSP codec (despite your repeated attemts to troubleshoot them). If that's the case, I'm not sure what to say. Perhaps someone else with Win7 x64 could chime in.

Thanks HF and Wombat for the replies. I guess the advantage of being an IT guy is that given enough time they will solve the issues through either intuitive trial and error or just plain luck. In my case it was trial and error. The issue seems to have been rooted in VIA Technologies integration with the motherboard and the architecture that Asus likes to modify. The fix was just as simple as uninstalling the audio driver, restarting the computer, turning the computer off again, clearing CMOS to dump all the onboard device code to default and then restart. I then reloaded the driver, again restarted, and it finally played all the Betty sounds in windows media player, as well as every other .wav file in the 2.10 folder.

Thanks again all, perhaps I will dust off my wings enough to try some online stuffs in the future. That is if my wife stops sitting next to me while I fly and repeat in a Betty voice, "Warning, fuel low."

Thanks HF and Wombat for the replies. I guess the advantage of being an IT guy is that given enough time they will solve the issues through either intuitive trial and error or just plain luck. In my case it was trial and error. The issue seems to have been rooted in VIA Technologies integration with the motherboard and the architecture that Asus likes to modify. The fix was just as simple as uninstalling the audio driver, restarting the computer, turning the computer off again, clearing CMOS to dump all the onboard device code to default and then restart. I then reloaded the driver, again restarted, and it finally played all the Betty sounds in windows media player, as well as every other .wav file in the 2.10 folder.

Thanks again all, perhaps I will dust off my wings enough to try some online stuffs in the future. That is if my wife stops sitting next to me while I fly and repeat in a Betty voice, "Warning, fuel low."

:rofl: Nice one. 'Cause if you're a IT dumbo like me .... all I can do is the office paperwork and fly multiplay very badly ...... just ask Hawkx ;). In all seriousness, great bunch over here playing a great, superbly re-work FS that won't let you go. Thanks HF. Those original blokes at DID were before their time. Come and join us sometime. :thumbsup:

What works for me:

"Honey, you wanna see something cool?"

"What?"

"Here, press KP3, then click on LM to set the LANTIRN to FREE. Now I can blow stuff up with free lasing!"

"I'll be watching the Oxygen channel."

What works for me:

"Honey, you wanna see something cool?"

"What?"

"Here, press KP3, then click on LM to set the LANTIRN to FREE. Now I can blow stuff up with free lasing!"

"I'll be watching the Oxygen channel."

Haaaaaaaa! Haaaaaaaaaaaaa ....just too funny. Its even funnier, I now understand what you're asking her to do. :lol: Didn't know about that a week ago. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Hi !

Got some CTD today, when trying to start (sometimes just by selecting the mission - happened for the maverick training) Air to Ground training missions with the error "Couldn't find t80.3", where does it come from and can i fix it ?

I have confirmed that the T-80 files are where they should be for the install, so here's what you want to check:

• look for t80.3 in the folder called "3"
  • look for t80.ssd in the folder called "ss"

BTW, there should be approximately 1800 and 1375 files in these folders respectively.

If the files are not there, or your file count is nowhere near the above numbers, you will want to reinstall TAW.

1. Back up your pilot(s) using the Pilot Utility
  2. Reinstall TAW 2.10
  3. Patch to TAW 2.15

Hope this helps.

In fact I had the glorious idea to search for the file.

Found t80.3 in the "3" folder, and in the nostalgia mod folder.

But the one in the "3" folder was empty (0ko), so I replaced it with the one from nostalgia mod, and it worked perfectly (at least for the maverick training mission).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When loading I have this message:

"Cannot display byte code/colour shapes"

Could you give me some advise on where to find a solution?

Please let me know your graphics card, operating system, and whether you are running the Direct3D or Glide version of the EXE. If Glide, please indicate your glide wrapper settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Battie,

215beta6 is 3 months old, and is incompatible with the patch. Since you were flying multiplayer with us, you should've been running the 2.16 betas (which the patch will install over).

You need at least 2.15b (final, not beta) to run the patch.

Sorry That was a miss print. It was 2.16beta whatever (the latest). The 2.16 patch produced the above when patching over.

However I've done a re-install (TAW2.15b patched with 2.16). Bit more work but its clean.

greetings everyone!

this is my first post on the forums, so first of all I want to say "thank you" for all of you who created this oldgame-conversion with that easy-to-use utility and all the detailed manuals concerning graphic solutions, avionics knowledge, and everything!

I dl-ed and installed the newest release: the 2.15b and the 2.16 patch - that was a clean install of course. I managed to adjust the glide settings and started the game, but I wanted to acquire higher resolution. (I'm kinda resolution-addict, no effects matter to me until there are lines on the screen looking like a sawblade. :P ) since the max and native res of my monitor is 1280x1024, Zeckensack's glide wrapper didn't suffice any more (since it converts to a resolution which is a multiply of 800x600), so I changed to dgVoodoo.

I tested various settings, and only Direct3D 7 worked, but it is slow and despite the applied resolution settings the game is not on 1280x1024 anyways. on Direct3D 9 I get a black screen with a mouse cursor after the loading screen where the the flight session should start. from here, I can only close the application manually to get back to the desktop.

except for the resolution, all other settings are on default as described in the "manual addendum". I use a win xp sp3, AMD Barton 2500+ cpu, 768 megs RAM, and a very old GF4 Ti4200, which doesn't support vertex/pixel shader 2.0 - could this be the problem?

krazek,

Thanks for the kind words.

Being the resolution fiend that you are, the GF4 is probably not your best bet with dgVoodoo. For starters, I think that you're stuck with the DX7 renderer with the GF4, which is fine in simple missions, but bogs down when there are a lot of objects to render. DX9 I don't believe is compatible, but even if it is, you want more horsepower to render at a high resolution, since dgVoodoo eats up a lot of GPU to do this. My back-up (i.e. spare) videocard is a 6800GT, and I run dgVoodoo in 800x600 to keep the frames up.

You may want to go back to zeckensack, and try antialiasing within your nvidia control panel.

greetings everyone!

this is my first post on the forums, so first of all I want to say "thank you" for all of you who created this oldgame-conversion with that easy-to-use utility and all the detailed manuals concerning graphic solutions, avionics knowledge, and everything!

I dl-ed and installed the newest release: the 2.15b and the 2.16 patch - that was a clean install of course. I managed to adjust the glide settings and started the game, but I wanted to acquire higher resolution. (I'm kinda resolution-addict, no effects matter to me until there are lines on the screen looking like a sawblade. :P ) since the max and native res of my monitor is 1280x1024, Zeckensack's glide wrapper didn't suffice any more (since it converts to a resolution which is a multiply of 800x600), so I changed to dgVoodoo.

I tested various settings, and only Direct3D 7 worked, but it is slow and despite the applied resolution settings the game is not on 1280x1024 anyways. on Direct3D 9 I get a black screen with a mouse cursor after the loading screen where the the flight session should start. from here, I can only close the application manually to get back to the desktop.

except for the resolution, all other settings are on default as described in the "manual addendum". I use a win xp sp3, AMD Barton 2500+ cpu, 768 megs RAM, and a very old GF4 Ti4200, which doesn't support vertex/pixel shader 2.0 - could this be the problem?

Yes. I'm able to run on my PC with the dgVoodoo Guide Wrapper and Direct3D 9 and it does make a noticeable difference. But I'm lucky I have enough power and an adequate video card. However on my Notebook I get the best results using 3D3 with 1024 x 768 and it looks fine. All machine specifications in my signature below.

Edit: Oh ....... sorry ....... welcome. :thumbsup:

thank you, guys, for your suggestions!

Direct3D 1024x768 throws me to the desktop with an error message containing numerous large numbers (I can post it if you need it for bugfixing purposes.)

I think I'm gonna stay with Z's wrapper on 800x600 with AA until I can upgrade my machine. (I doubt there's another living being on Earth who uses that old hardware. :D )

---

edit: one more thing: if I recall correctly I used to play Carmageddon 2 with Z's glide wrapper in 1280x1024. is it only TAW that can't be played in 1280 with Z's, only in multiplies of 800x600? is it absolutely impossible to solve this problem, or can it be expected in a future patch? :rolleyes: (sorry if this questions came up earlier. I ran through some topics but didn't find this.)

btw. here is the error message I mentioned above:

d3d1024error.jpg

one more thing: if I recall correctly I used to play Carmageddon 2 with Z's glide wrapper in 1280x1024. is it only TAW that can't be played in 1280 with Z's, only in multiplies of 800x600? is it absolutely impossible to solve this problem, or can it be expected in a future patch? :rolleyes: (sorry if this questions came up earlier. I ran through some topics but didn't find this.)

It's an issue with the wrapper, so no fixes on the horizon.

It's an issue with the wrapper, so no fixes on the horizon.

I see. that's sad, but thanks for the answer.

any ideas on the error message? I tried to search the forums for the hexa-code (1F1F1F1F), but no results...

-----

edit: good news: I've found a freeware glide wrapper called "nGlide" which allows me to play in 1280x1024, seemingly without problem! B) I hope it will work fine, not only for that 1 test mission...