COMBATSIM Forum

TAW 2.0 Known Issues and Bug Reports

Home Fries

I'm still getting CDT's when exiting a Campaign mission using <SHIFT> <Q> <E> combination.

Its not actually a CDT, but goes to a total black screen with a tiny white dot in the centre. This is normally the appropriate instantaneous visual appearance before it moves to another screen, like to the menu screen, or returning from flying an F22 and going back to the AWACS interface. In my case it freezes.

I'M BEING PARTICULARLY CAREFUL ABOUT MY DESCRIPTION BECAUSE IF I CAN'T FIX IT, OR AT LEAST RECOVER LOST FLIGHT TIME AND THE ASSOCIATED POINTS, MY CAMPAIGN CAREER MAY BE OVER .......

It only happens when I initiate any exit. ie. SHIFT Q E. [Edit: Or a death scene exit with just <E>] This I do if I have a fatal crash but there is no problem when exiting to the AWACS using the <ESC> <ESC> combination.

I'm going to study the "save player utility" option and the associated saved .udl, .mdl and .sav file in the hope that I can undertake a save during a mission. (<DEL> key then back to the desktop with whatever, open the Utility and undertake a "Back up Pilot to Zipfile").

I will also need to become familiar with the whole save pilot process. So its off to the TAW2.0 manual where I know HF has covered it in detail.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've now tried to replicate the same "CDT" in another Campaign: Highland. So far after half a dozen deliberate death missions with SHIFT Q E extraction required, there have been non.

Could the problem be with AS? Or at least my hardware/software and AS?

I'm getting this when I try and open "TAW Campaign Guide" when I try and open it from within the Launcher:

errormessage-1.jpg

then this:

errormessage2.jpg

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can describe my subroutine so that somebody with VB6 programming experience might be able to help.

The TAW Campaign Guide is the only reference in the menu for which I actually force the use of Internet Explorer (as opposed to the default viewer in all other cases). This is because the TAW Campaign Guide uses some ActiveX formatting that doesn't look right in another browser.

Here is the routine I use:

Dim IE As Object

Set IE = CreateObject("internetexplorer.application")

IE.Visible = True

IE.navigate TAWPath & Docs_Folder & HTM_Camp_Guide

Where TAWPath, Docs_Folder, and HTM_Camp_Guide are all public string variables

Now my questions to you:

• What version of IE do you use?
  • Do you use IE as your primary browser, or do you use another browser as primary (i.e. Firefox, Safari, etc.)?
  • Do you consistently get this error? Even after reboot?
  • Have you tried loading the Campaign Guide when IE is already open? How about when IE is not open?

These questions are mainly to provide as much information as possible. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I can troubleshoot this beyond adding an error trap to the subroutine. Hopefully somebody else can provide some insight.

Wombat,

I'm not sure what to say about the missions. I've experienced some white dot freezes after a particularly bad hair day, so I know what you are saying. I just don't know what causes it. Bottom line: don't die! :thumbsup:

Seriously, you may want to exit out of the campaign after every mission (or every other mission, depending on how often this happens), which will save your score and campaign status. Then you can go back in and continue from where you left off. You won't lose your score, and you won't corrupt your pilot. if you get the white dot freeze, just bring up task manager and kill the f22.dat process, then restart TAW. The good news is you won't take a loss in your score for a mission failure.

For issues with the beta, please drop me a PM rather than use this thread, which I intended for use with the public releases.

Now my questions to you:

• Do you use IE as your primary browser, or do you use another browser as primary (i.e. Firefox, Safari, etc.)?
  • Have you tried loading the Campaign Guide when IE is already open? How about when IE is not open?

These questions are mainly to provide as much information as possible. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I can troubleshoot this beyond adding an error trap to the subroutine. Hopefully somebody else can provide some insight.

Thanks. That explains it. I never use IE. In fact it won't even load or open. Maybe supplying the internet address might solve it for me and I can access it through Firefox.

Thanks. That explains it. I never use IE. In fact it won't even load or open. Maybe supplying the internet address might solve it for me and I can access it through Firefox.

You may want to troubleshoot that in your own time. Additional software other than mine forces IE as the HTML browser as well.

As far as the "website", it's not online because the DID website is down. It's a cached website on the hard drive.

Here's how to access it:

1. From the References page in the Launcher, go to the pulldown menu References -> Open Documentation Folder
  2. In the Documentation folder, go to the folder called TAWWebpage
  3. In TAWWebpage, find and open the file called Total Air War.htm

If you're not in IE, you may not be able to navigate anything. However there is a link there to downloading IE if you need to upgrade to the latest version. This may fix your issues as well.

You may want to troubleshoot that in your own time. Additional software other than mine forces IE as the HTML browser as well.

As far as the "website", it's not online because the DID website is down. It's a cached website on the hard drive.

Here's how to access it:

1. From the References page in the Launcher, go to the pulldown menu References -> Open Documentation Folder
  2. In the Documentation folder, go to the folder called TAWWebpage
  3. In TAWWebpage, find and open the file called Total Air War.htm

If you're not in IE, you may not be able to navigate anything. However there is a link there to downloading IE if you need to upgrade to the latest version. This may fix your issues as well.

Downloaded then new IE version 8 and installed, but made no difference: IE will still not connect. Not to worry. I just hope it (the TCG) might answer all those questions about Dynamic Campaigns.

EDIT: This is the best i can get: TAWCG.jpg

Downloaded then new IE version 8 and installed, but made no difference: IE will still not connect. Not to worry. I just hope it (the TCG) might answer all those questions about Dynamic Campaigns.

How stupid. :blush: Why don't I try my Notebook which has IE and TAW2.0. :banghead:

GOT IT!!! :thumbsup: Have printed it off. Will now work on the promotion and points determination.

EG:

1. To get to Level 2 you need 500 points.

2 To get your first medal you need ............ I'm still working on that ...... :lol:

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can describe my subroutine so that somebody with VB6 programming experience might be able to help.

The TAW Campaign Guide is the only reference in the menu for which I actually force the use of Internet Explorer (as opposed to the default viewer in all other cases). This is because the TAW Campaign Guide uses some ActiveX formatting that doesn't look right in another browser.

Here is the routine I use:

Dim IE As Object

Set IE = CreateObject("internetexplorer.application")

IE.Visible = True

IE.navigate TAWPath & Docs_Folder & HTM_Camp_Guide

Where TAWPath, Docs_Folder, and HTM_Camp_Guide are all public string variables

Now my questions to you:

A big thank you for the "Total Air War Strategy Guide - by Steven Liu" as an alternative to the Campaign Guide which I couldn't previously access. Of course I now have both. In the case of the Campaign Guide: what a beautifully originally developed website by Steven. Typical of all DID material. And its written with so much sincerity, appreciation and a love of TAW.

I also now have Steven's Strategy Guide (thank you again) which I don't think I've seen before, but with my memory who knows. :rolleyes:

If it is "new", maybe it should be added to the Reference of the Launcher?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome

Fly in over 10 years TAW. First, the original version (1998), now in TAW 2.0. I am impressed with the changes they are, but it is an error in the engine campaigns, which probably was not noticed. Campaign Engine is not working when passed more than 10 hours from the beginning and I fly all the time in the cockpit and I'm not long in the AWACS or war room. Are not released new missions. Fly then after the empty sky. Is there a solution?

I do not like AWACS and do not want to waste time in the campaign war room.

Sorry for my english

Przemekm

Welcome

Fly in over 10 years TAW. First, the original version (1998), now in TAW 2.0. I am impressed with the changes they are, but it is an error in the engine campaigns, which probably was not noticed. Campaign Engine is not working when passed more than 10 hours from the beginning and I fly all the time in the cockpit and I'm not long in the AWACS or war room. Are not released new missions. Fly then after the empty sky. Is there a solution?

I do not like AWACS and do not want to waste time in the campaign war room.

Sorry for my english

Przemekm

I'm not a total expert on the campaigns but my experience is the war really hots up after 10 hours. Avenging Scimitar is a new pubic beta campaign. There are a couple more being tested privately, but should be out shortly for public beta testing. They build on your experience with Avenging Scimitar. To access more mission you need to get your Pilot Score higher to get a bigger selection of missions. Don't forget you can accel. time from the War Room to speed things up.

No, the war room is the last place to spend your time. However time in the AWACS is valuable and you can jump in and out of the F22 'pit from and to the AWACS. Even just adjusting your AWACS WP flight path is valuable because he is a prime target for the enemy.

• 1 month later...

Flying TAW 2.0 in 1024*768 d3d, get the smartview ctd, but also got a ctd during mission, just wondering if smartview kicks in during a mission and not just during death cam?, is there anyway to disable smartview?, well done with TAW 2.0 by the way, when i get new rig i want to run in hi rez glide mode but no chance at the mo, got a via/ s3g unichrome igp pro graphics card.......it ain't good!

Program fault at 0x8F8F8F8F, cleanup up and exiting!

0053A877 0006FC70 8F8F8F8F 00250217

0000052E 00928EA9 0000052E 000013D2 FF13B681 006BB074

00000023 00000023 0000003B 00000000 0000001B 00000023

version 5.191 by on Nov 16 1998

This could be just a smartview ctd?, not sure?, i suspect its smartview related, oh one more thing, while on ground waiting to takeoff i pressed smartview and it worked fine in 1024*768 d3d?, but didn't last too long, but worked!...for a while.

Thanks i'll give it a shot, like i say, its probably smartview related, i think if smartview could be disabled somehow it would cure the d3d thing, will change to glide when i acquire new rig, and when i can find laptop to buy with 1600*1200 monitor, they all seem to be 1600*900 monitors down my local pc store?

I've tried it Mikew, its too slow, its slow with the HUD, lots of stuttering, my monitor is 1024*768 so software mode 800*600 is still a good resolution for me, not perfect but good, i even get HUD stuttering in 800*600 rez glide mode at 16 bit!, 1024*768 d3d is fast but can't use smartview and odd crash now and then (probably smartview related), got peace of mind now with d3d software mode 800*600, fast HUD, can just fly free now without CTD's, welldone sunshine. :thumbsup:

played around with mods and still get smartview CTD, but thats no problem, other than that all ok, so back with hi rez D3d, its ultra smooth, think the crash during mission was related to the newer textures, i reverted back to 1998 textures and it seems ok, EF2000 still tops my list tho, great game.

• 2 weeks later...