COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2008 v1.54

Home Fries

F-22 Total Air War 2008 v.1.54

(video by Home Fries)

Total Air War 2008 has been superseded by Total Air War 2.0. Please visit the accompanying link.

Description:

F-22 Total Air War 2008
is a highly modded hybrid between
F-22 Total Air War (TAW)
F-22 Air Dominance Fighter (ADF)
and the
Red Sea Operations (RSO)
expansion disc.

TAW 2008 is self contained. You
do not
require the original F-22 ADF or F-22 TAW to play.

The 2008 in the title reflects the ten year anniversary of TAW, and thus remains in the title despite the latest 2009 release.

Changes in the TAW 2008 v.1.54 Patch:

• Modified Total Air War Battle Commander (TAWBC) for use with TAW 2008. For the first time, TAWBC can be used seamlessly with TAW 2008!
  • Added 10 Single Player Slots and 10 Multiplayer slots for dynamically generated missions via TAWBC.
  • Incorporated fix to "Dam Defence" mission that showed hostile aircraft as friendly in IFF and debrief.
  • Renamed "Covert Missions" section to "Additional Missions" to reflect more general mission types within that section.
  • Moved Hawk's 11 Day campaign to the "Additional Missions" section to make room for the TAWBC slots.
  • For D3D 1024x768 users, converted the f22opts to an exe file for accessing the Options menu within TAW 2008.
  • Incorporated mlracing's Jet Flyby Sounds (Original 1998 Flyby sounds selectable with GME)
  • Added Hitman IF's ADF/TAW Loadout Guide to the !2008\Documentation folder. This helps determine custom loadouts when building missions.
  • Added Visual Basic 5 Runtime Library to the !2008\utilities folder.
  • Updated installer to provide compatibilty options for Windows 98/ME users and 3DFX Voodoo series users.

Changes in the TAW 2008 v.1.53 Patch:
  • Smoothed default photorealistic F-22 skins and removed artifacts.
  • Created nighttime skins for Saudi and Egyptian F-22s, and updated the nighttime USAF F-22 skin.
  • Incorporated additional Tail Flashes, which are selectable in GME. The additional tail flashes are:
  • - 49th FW, Holloman AFB (HO)
  • - 154th Wing, Hickam AFB (HH)
  • - 185th FW, Sioux Gateway Airport, Iowa (HA)
  • - 138th FW, Tulsa IAP (OK)
  • - 1st FW, Langley AFB (FF) (this option is here to revert the AK tail flash back to FF).
  • Globally cleaned up textures and updated all F-22 skins (including original 1998 TAW skins) to take advantage of the new tail flashes.
  • Added photorealistic YF-22 skins, a photorealistic USAF Woodland skin, and a USAF Desert skin..
  • Updated the YF-22 skins to reflect the red, white, and blue wing stripes and stars of the original prototype.
  • - Skins are selectable in GME
  • Renamed Graphics Mod conventions to Tail Flashes and Skins to reflect additional tail flash enhancements.
  • Updated the wing flash (i.e. "Stars and Bars" to be more visible with the new skins, and reoriented it so that it appears right side up on the fuselage.
  • Fixed issues in multiplayer versions of Rebel Jizan and Power Down missions.
  • Incorporated TrackIR 1.1 fix. Now head-tracking can extend 180 degrees in the yaw axis.
  • Added original and printable quick refrence cards from the original 1998 TAW.
  • Added Eagle Flight's F-22 TAW 2008 +3 Trainer to the !2008\cheats folder
  • Made modifications to the HUD to include the following features:
  • - Changed "REHEAT" string to "AFTERBURNER" (Reheat is still selectable with GME)
  • - Added Vertical Speed Indicator (VSI) to NAV/ILS/REF HUD modes (placed next to Altitude)
  • - Added the following Fuel Gauge and Distance/Time to Airfield functionality to the ILS HUD Mode
  • - Changed "BRAKE ON" flag to "AIR BRAKE", centered on RPM gauge, and made flashing.
  • - Made minor cosmetic fixes to better align text strings.

Changes in the TAW 2008 v.1.52 Patch:

• Added most of the original Air to Air Tactics training missions from ADF (extraction by Krusade).
  • Added some of Krusade's training missions to Single Player and Multiplayer.
  • Created a new Missile Evasion training mission.
  • Added three new head to head scenarios to multiplayer, including a ladder, last man standing, and selectable loadout team dogfight.
  • Converted the Egyptian Antiquities Tour mission to multiplayer. Now you can go destroy ancient artifacts with 3 of your closest friends!
  • Fixed an issue where selecting some multiplayer missions in the lobby would cause clients to be automatically booted.
  • Added a new, darker F-22 skin based on the photorealistic F-22 skin in v1.51. This skin is selectable as the 1st TFW (FF) from the Options menu.
  • Made graphical fixes and enhancements to the photorealistic F-22 skin introduced in v1.51. This skin is selectable as the 3rd Wing (AK) from the Options menu.
  • - People who wish to fly with the AK tail flash using the new, darker skin may enable this skin for the 3rd Wing with GME.
  • Added texturing to the Saudi and Egyptian F-22 default skins, providing for a more photorealistic look (original 1998 textures may be restored with GME).
  • Made minor grammatical and formatting changes to some of the mission and campaign briefings.
  • Incorporated 1.51 Hotfix for Jolly's Modern Menu mod.
  • Implemented Hawk's "Fix my F-22" mod into the ADF/RSO multiplayer missions as well as most other Co-op missions. No longer does getting shot down banish you to the SmartView; you will start at the airfield nearest the current waypoint (this feature may be disabled with GME).

Changes in the TAW 2008 v.1.51 Patch:
  • Added (with permission) Hawk's 11 Day campaign for Single Player and Multiplayer.
  • Converted ACM/DACT training missions to multiplayer (can be found under H2H/Co-Op tab)
  • Added Desert Flightsuit textures and improved in-cockpit textures (original textures may be restored with GME).
  • Added and adjusted Photorealistic F-22 Textures taken from Polak's terrain mod (original textures may be restored with GME).
  • Fixed a graphical bug from the Glide version of the original 1998 TAW, and improved the same texture for both Glide and D3D.
  • Improved MIDI support for Windows XP and more recent operating systems.
  • Added GameCFG_Settings.txt to !2008\Documentation folder. This document details some of the options in your game.cfg file (Thanks, Nemo!).
  • Miscellaneous minor fixes and improvements.

Features of TAW 2008 v.1.5 Final:

• TrackIR (head tracking) support added
  • Program available in both Direct3D and Glide
  • Improved/corrected MFD
  • Adjusted Mod folders for integration with Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (GME)
  • Finalized NVG Mod for Glide. Updated NVG Mod for D3D (via GME).
  • Classic TAW menu resurrected (modern menu still available via GME)
  • MIDI music in XP fix
  • TrueSpeech codecs included (for radio chatter to work in Vista/Win7)
  • Added new insignia, and improved old insignia
  • added training ACMIs
  • Included Faustan's in-campaign weapon loadout editor
  • Removed "WIDE" cue from D3D-1024 executable
  • Addition of ADF and RSO campaign missions to multiplayer (work in progress)
  • Updated single mission menu to synchronize with original TAW achievements. Also fixed bugs regarding RSO mission tracking
  • Changed target reconnaisance palette from bright green to greyscale to better reflect intelligence gathering assets
  • Improved realistic Moon and Sun sizes
  • Added RSO manual and HTML Campaign Guide to Documentation section
  • Replaced YF-22 Paint Scheme with USAF Tactical Grey (3rd Wing, Elmendorf AFB, AK)

Features inherited from v.1-R:

• 30 custom missions
  • 3 custom campaigns, 28 missions
  • Full ADF campaigns, 29 missions
  • Full RSO campaigns, 36 missions
  • New HUD
  • Cloud enhancement
  • Improved Level of Detail
  • New Moon

If you have any problems, please consult the
2008v15_readme.txt
file and the

Please post any new issues in the

Lastly, you can share your TAWBC missions in the following dropbox:

I encourage everybody to share their missions this way.

Congratulations HF and all the boys from SimHQ and Combatsim who helped to make this possible. I hope to be able to contribute in the future should the opportunity arise.

Wombat

Home Fries,

When you say disable all mods do you mean mods that you added after the installation? Since you say "F-22 Total Air War 2008 is a highly modded hybrid between F-22 Total Air War (TAW), F-22 Air Dominance Fighter (ADF) and the Red Sea Operations (RSO) expansion disc." , I just wanted to make sure you don't mean mods that are already part of the program. I just installed the final version today and I'm hoping that I don't have to disable mods that are part of the program because I don't know how to do that.

Home Fries,

When you say disable all mods do you mean mods that you added after the installation? Since you say "F-22 Total Air War 2008 is a highly modded hybrid between F-22 Total Air War (TAW), F-22 Air Dominance Fighter (ADF) and the Red Sea Operations (RSO) expansion disc." , I just wanted to make sure you don't mean mods that are already part of the program. I just installed the final version today and I'm hoping that I don't have to disable mods that are part of the program because I don't know how to do that.

By mods, I meant modifications that were not part of the default install. Technically, I guess this whole thing is a mod (Total Conversion, to be precise), but uninstalling seems a bit over the top in order to patch :unsure: .

More specifically, if you had enabled any of the mods (such as D3D NVGs, the original 1998 type mods, et. al.) in the MODS folder, these are what you need to disable. If you haven't done anything to the install, then no worries. Just run the patch over the top of your install and enjoy the new features.

I thought you got all that sorted out by switching to the Dhauzimmer drivers.

I thought that I did too. I had finally gotten my x45 working right, but I couldn't get TAW 2008 beta to run in in Glide for some reason. So, I thought that I would install the final version in Glide and see if it would work. Well it ran but it looked like a slide show so I dropped the f22.dat from the D3D folder into the TAW 2008 folder to play a few custom combat missions. Well, now my X-45 is messed up again. Any inputs from the X-45 are delayed about 2 seconds and then repeated several times. There must be something about the Glide wrapper that screws up the X45. Now I have to figure out what I have to do to get it working again.

I thinking of unistalling the Dhauzimmer drivers and trying out the Saitek software one more time. If I have problems with it again I'll have to get back to the Dhauzimmer drivers. I might not be able to work with this for awhile because I am a little pressed for time with many things that have to be done in the next two weeks. I'm going to give it try tonight to see if it can be resolved quickly. If not, then I'll have to get to it later.

This is all very frustrating since I was really starting to get back into TAW after going through all the problems with the X45 the last time.

UPDATE:

Well, I forgot the cardinal rule of Windows operating systems, before trying anything reboot the system. After I gave up in frustration yesterday, I forgot that, so today after starting up the old computer and posting this thread I thought that I would try one more time before making any changes and thankfully the X45 works just fine. Now I can get back to some fun and no more dreams of Glide wrappers for me. From now on it's D3D only.

I thought that I did too. I had finally gotten my x45 working right, but I couldn't get TAW 2008 beta to run in in Glide for some reason. So, I thought that I would install the final version in Glide and see if it would work. Well it ran but it looked like a slide show so I dropped the f22.dat from the D3D folder into the TAW 2008 folder to play a few custom combat missions. Well, now my X-45 is messed up again. Any inputs from the X-45 are delayed about 2 seconds and then repeated several times. There must be something about the Glide wrapper that screws up the X45. Now I have to figure out what I have to do to get it working again.

I thinking of unistalling the Dhauzimmer drivers and trying out the Saitek software one more time. If I have problems with it again I'll have to get back to the Dhauzimmer drivers. I might not be able to work with this for awhile because I am a little pressed for time with many things that have to be done in the next two weeks. I'm going to give it try tonight to see if it can be resolved quickly. If not, then I'll have to get to it later.

This is all very frustrating since I was really starting to get back into TAW after going through all the problems with the X45 the last time.

UPDATE:

Well, I forgot the cardinal rule of Windows operating systems, before trying anything reboot the system. After I gave up in frustration yesterday, I forgot that, so today after starting up the old computer and posting this thread I thought that I would try one more time before making any changes and thankfully the X45 works just fine. Now I can get back to some fun and no more dreams of Glide wrappers for me. From now on it's D3D only.

Too bad about dgvoodoo. You might try Zeckensack's glide wrapper instead.

I don't think that my system specs. are powerful enough to run a Glide wrapper. As I said in my last post TAW looked like a slide show because the frame rates were so bad. It was so slow that I didn't realize that my x45 wasn't working. I found that out when I switched to D3D. I'm waiting until Windows 7 comes out then I'll build a new computer and then I'll give Glide another try. Until then no more Glide.

• 2 weeks later...

1.52 is out! Get it now and enjoy the new multiplayer missions (among other things)!

I have to give a huge "Bravo Zulu" to Eagle_Flight for his marathon effort in testing this build and finding enough issues to keep me busy for two days straight! :icon_bow:

See you online.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Home Fries GREAT STUFF but One small problem it keeps asking for the Disk in Drive D I just click cancel and TAW continues to load. Any reason it is asking for the disk ?? Can it be fixed??

You can fix the problem 1 of 2 ways. Either put any CD back in the D drive, or remove all CDs and reboot the system.

The reason you get that dialog box is because there is nothing in the registry for TAW 2008, so it will look for the DID.dat on CD. If you have no CD in the drive, TAW won't complain. If you do have a CD in the drive, TAW also won't complain. If, however, you have a CD in the drive and take it out, then it's likely that TAW will complain.

As you mentioned, though, it is a toothless annoyance, and doesn't stop you from loading the program.

Hmm that was wierd the disk was Joe Satriani lol wierd..took the disk out all is well ;) thnx..

Mine did it with Rush, so TAW doesn't really care what music you listen to ;).

I've also had this happen when I dismounted a virtual drive.