New TrackIR features in version 5

Home Fries

Great news!

With the new version 5 of the TrackIR software, head tracking in TAW is no longer restricted to the forward 180 degrees (thanks to RedBear for this discovery).

However, a linear profile is no longer ideal like it was with TrackIR v4, and a default profile could send the view too far to the left or right and cause warping. I spent a good part of the evening tweaking the following profile, and IMHO it is about right.

HOME centers the view, and END toggles the TrackIR on and off. I disabled the precision view for this profile.

Note that TrackIR 4 or 5 hardware is currently required for use of TrackIR v5 software (beta). TrackIR 3 with vector is to be supported in version 5.1 of the TrackIR software.

<Profile removed due to obsolescence>

Great news!

With the new version 5 of the TrackIR software, head tracking in TAW is no longer restricted to the forward 180 degrees (thanks to RedBear for this discovery).

However, a linear profile is no longer ideal like it was with TrackIR v4, and a default profile could send the view too far to the left or right and cause warping. I spent a good part of the evening tweaking the following profile, and IMHO it is about right.

HOME centers the view, and END toggles the TrackIR on and off. I disabled the precision view for this profile.

Note that TrackIR 4 or 5 hardware is currently required for use of TrackIR v5 software (beta). TrackIR 3 with vector is to be supported in version 5.1 of the TrackIR software.

Here's a link to the profile. Save the file and copy it to your Naturalpoint\TrackIR5\Profiles folder, then enable it for use with F-22 Total Air War.

And here's what it looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

<Profile>

<Name>TAWNormal</Name>

<Description>Total Air War</Description>

<ExclusiveLoad>0</ExclusiveLoad>

<TrueViewEnabled>1</TrueViewEnabled>

<Curve>

<Axis>0</Axis>

<Enabled>1</Enabled>

<Inverted>0</Inverted>

<Mirrored>1</Mirrored>

<Type>0</Type>

<Inputs>

<Val>-49.7041</Val>

<Val>0.512821</Val>

<Val>-36.9822</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>-35</Val>

<Val>12.8205</Val>

<Val>-23.6686</Val>

<Val>11.7949</Val>

<Val>-10.0592</Val>

<Val>7.69231</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>2.05128</Val>

<Val>10.0592</Val>

<Val>7.69231</Val>

<Val>23.6686</Val>

<Val>11.7949</Val>

<Val>35</Val>

<Val>12.8205</Val>

<Val>36.9822</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>49.7041</Val>

<Val>0.512821</Val>

</Inputs>

</Curve>

<Curve>

<Axis>1</Axis>

<Enabled>1</Enabled>

<Inverted>0</Inverted>

<Mirrored>1</Mirrored>

<Type>0</Type>

<Inputs>

<Val>-49.7041</Val>

<Val>0.512821</Val>

<Val>-36.9822</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>-20.7101</Val>

<Val>10.7692</Val>

<Val>-16.568</Val>

<Val>10</Val>

<Val>-7.69231</Val>

<Val>7.94872</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>3.58974</Val>

<Val>7.69231</Val>

<Val>7.94872</Val>

<Val>16.568</Val>

<Val>10</Val>

<Val>20.7101</Val>

<Val>10.7692</Val>

<Val>36.9822</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>49.7041</Val>

<Val>0.512821</Val>

</Inputs>

</Curve>

<Curve>

<Axis>2</Axis>

<Enabled>0</Enabled>

<Inverted>0</Inverted>

<Mirrored>1</Mirrored>

<Type>0</Type>

<Inputs>

<Val>-48.9105</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-40</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-30</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-13.3136</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-6.21302</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>6.21302</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>13.3136</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>30</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>40</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>48.9105</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

</Inputs>

</Curve>

<Curve>

<Axis>3</Axis>

<Enabled>0</Enabled>

<Inverted>0</Inverted>

<Mirrored>1</Mirrored>

<Type>0</Type>

<Inputs>

<Val>-48.9105</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-40</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-30</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-20</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-3</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>3</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>20</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>30</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>40</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>48.9105</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

</Inputs>

</Curve>

<Curve>

<Axis>4</Axis>

<Enabled>0</Enabled>

<Inverted>0</Inverted>

<Mirrored>1</Mirrored>

<Type>0</Type>

<Inputs>

<Val>-49.7041</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>-40</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>-30</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>-19.5266</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>-2.5</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>2.5</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>19.5266</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>30</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>40</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

<Val>49.7041</Val>

<Val>4</Val>

</Inputs>

</Curve>

<Curve>

<Axis>5</Axis>

<Enabled>0</Enabled>

<Inverted>0</Inverted>

<Mirrored>1</Mirrored>

<Type>0</Type>

<Inputs>

<Val>-49.4083</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-40</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-30</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-20</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>-3</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>24</Val>

<Val>2</Val>

<Val>28.1065</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>40</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

<Val>48.8</Val>

<Val>0</Val>

</Inputs>

</Curve>

<Hotkey>

<Name>Center</Name>

<ActionID>1</ActionID>

<Key>36</Key>

<Enable>1</Enable>

<Toggle>1</Toggle>

<Trap>1</Trap>

<IsDevice>0</IsDevice>

<DeviceGuid>{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}</DeviceGuid>

<ButtonID>0</ButtonID>

</Hotkey>

<Hotkey>

<Name>Pause</Name>

<ActionID>2</ActionID>

<Key>35</Key>

<Enable>1</Enable>

<Toggle>1</Toggle>

<Trap>1</Trap>

<IsDevice>0</IsDevice>

<ButtonID>0</ButtonID>

</Hotkey>

<Hotkey>

<Name>Precision</Name>

<ActionID>3</ActionID>

<Key>118</Key>

<Enable>0</Enable>

<Toggle>1</Toggle>

<Trap>1</Trap>

<IsDevice>0</IsDevice>

<ButtonID>0</ButtonID>

</Hotkey>

</Profile>

good for me it is smooth maybe is the video card that is giving you the trouble maybe you have to ask about it n natural point Vincent could check it out.

The missions i refer are the missions Krus' pack the problem maybe for you is that the briefings are in spanish i speak spanish. i could translate it but the problem is that i am not regular to internet now. so letme know lokk for that pack in the links post at simhq

and about the TAWBC i letf you this email redbear451 at gmail dot com.

Thanks to bring new live to this sim i enjoy it alot ten years ago and now i am back on track. :D thanks!!

The missions i refer are the missions Krus' pack the problem maybe for you is that the briefings are in spanish i speak spanish. i could translate it but the problem is that i am not regular to internet now. so letme know lokk for that pack in the links post at simhq

and about the TAWBC i letf you this email redbear451 at gmail dot com.

Thanks to bring new live to this sim i enjoy it alot ten years ago and now i am back on track. :D thanks!!

Redbear,

Good news: the campaigns you reference (Libya and Orient) are already in TAW 2008! Check under the Covert Campaigns tab in the Single Missions menu. Likewise, the Alert missions can be found under the Covert Missions tab. The third campaign was an extraction of ADF Tour 1, which is already in the game.

BTW, did you see my PM on SimHQ regarding TAWBC?

Thanks for the help,

• 2 weeks later...

ok there is a new beta file on natural point. I have notices in my case that there is some problems with TIR 5 software in glide mode it crahs I will see how this new beta works.

I check what is in this update and i see that is posible to import the Track ir 4 profiles.

ok there is a new beta file on natural point. I have notices in my case that there is some problems with TIR 5 software in glide mode it crahs I will see how this new beta works.

I check what is in this update and i see that is posible to import the Track ir 4 profiles.

Thanks for the heads-up, Redbear. I'll give it a test.

Something like the crash you mention is listed as a known issue; I'll give it a try to see whether it is a glide issue or a PC issue.

Thanks for the heads-up, Redbear. I'll give it a test.

Something like the crash you mention is listed as a known issue; I'll give it a try to see whether it is a glide issue or a PC issue.

I have teste it and the 3/9 problem in again in it if yo have istalled it you have to erase everything reg entries and driver and reinstall i will try to report it on naturalpoint. If it works for you let me know.

I have teste it and the 3/9 problem in again in it if yo have istalled it you have to erase everything reg entries and driver and reinstall i will try to report it on naturalpoint. If it works for you let me know.

Redbear,

I haven't had a chance to test beta 4 yet, but I just saw your post on Naturalpoint's forum. I think it's related to the 180 degree limitation that was not imposed in beta 3. Since the TrackIR fix in TAW is based on the original Union Reality VR headset, the panning code somehow thinks 180 in TrackIR is 90 ingame. Since beta 3 did away with the 180 X axis limitation, we were able to pan over the shoulder.

If you look at the post at top of the naturalpoint board, you'll see some of the same things mentioned. Once I test it, I'll post something there as well.

Long story short: I got a quick response from the Naturalpoint board. They are working on a solution that defaults the Yaw limit to 180 degrees, while allowing for people to change the yaw limit when necessary.

hey i was away but i do some testing i have post at naturalpoint i think the limitation of 180 is not the problem it is a problem of range i have tested your profile and the one i created and you need more that one revolution in the vitual head to reach the back view on yaw also there is a problem in a minor way on Janes f18 but this time is in the pich view ther seens not linear. i think the solution of naturalpoint could be good let see.

Good News, everybody!

Formski just came out with a patch to his TrackIR mod. All you need to do is copy the f22.dll into your TAW 2008 folder, and you can see 180 degrees. Here's the file.

There is no need to download the entire pack from SimHQ and reinstall the f22.dat file. Besides, the f22.dat files have been slightly modified for 2008 since then, so you really don't want to do that in the first place.

This has been tested in TrackIR software versions 4 and 5. Issues with the 180 degree TrackIR limitation are now moot.

I will update the Known Issues thread shortly.