COMBATSIM Forum

Total Air War v2.0 Weekly Multiplayer Fly-in (Cancelled UFN)

Home Fries

OK guys the Public server is not accessible.. I have created My Own Private Server at here:

raptorF22.dyndns.org PASS: raptor

I can leave this up 24/7 if you guys want.. If I am away I probally am not there. but it is again Active as of 9:30 AM EST 4-22-12

Shoot looks like I might have just missed you that night??.. Well I have it back up and will NOT keep it running 24/7 but keep a look here and I will try and leave a note here when it is up..

As of 9:00 PM EST 4-24 it is on..Hope you show up tonight Eugene..

If there is interest in using the OpenSource Mumble client, I can offer my own server for it.

It runs 24/7 on a dedicated box in the hallway and is only down when the router needs a kick in the ass (Not too often.) or when there is an update to the Linux kernel, (Not too often either)

Give me a holler if it is interesting.

Mumble software: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

We're always looking for new players, Martin. We meet twice a week. Check out the first post in this thread to get the times, though I'm assuming you're in Central time, which would put Wednesdays at 8pm as your time of choice. The first post also has our Teamspeak details. Just join the Air Combat room on the SimHQ server and introduce yourself.

Two options to solve your password problems and get a good password hygiene too (Unique passwords for each service you use)

1: LastPass, Cloud solution for password storage, supposed to be quite secure and can generate passwords for you if required as well, and fill it into forms for you.

2: KeePass, For paranoid people like myself or where you need to be guaranteed of the security, this is an OpenSource solution meaning you can check the code for nasties yourself if you want to, and works across several platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, Fruit devices)

With the latter you can also specify your own level of security and split the key and database, meaning that to read it they will need both and your password for an example, or for super paranoid and single device users, you can tie it to your Windows account, meaning that they will have to steal your physical computer as well to read the database.

Don't see a reason to use a much more complex password than your last name for this caliber of services. It's not like there's a crowd out gunning for your TS3 account.

I personally don't quite trust online password services, it does close some script kid loopholes, but opens up the possibility of someone getting the whole pack at once, your banking accounts, etc., and it comes in a nice enough package to know what to do with it. There have been leaks already. An opposite risk is the service shutting down (a question of when, not whether) and users losing access to a hundred accounts that no one would ever want to break into anyway.

One or two high security passwords (for financial services only), 2-3 medium security (stored in the browser, but email password must be different from all others) and one low security (for teamspeak, game accounts, etc) is good enough, not much harder to remember than one high security password, and not prone to simultaneous failure.

JupiterBroadcasting did cover it though, but I do not trust cloud services unless I get to see their source code and datacenter in person.

But, the problem there is, I am probably not alone and having a million people inspecting a data center isn't good.

So I swear to KeePass that I control the distribution of locally.

JupiterBroadcasting's coverage of LastPass: