COMBATSIM Forum

Total Air War v2.0 Weekly Multiplayer Fly-in (Cancelled UFN)

Don't worry, Skeeter. Either way, we won't start Operation: Blackout without you. We'll probably be testing Wombat's connectivity for the first few minutes, at which point we can do another LGB mission. If/when you show up, we'll press with Blackout.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been here for four years and still can't "like" anything Should we tell the admin(s)?

not sure if I will be there tonight so if Im not there go on without me ;)

:( but no problem. HF an I spent our time working on LotAtc. This time on my Notebook which is what we got it for. It worked just fine. :nana::icon_salute3:

Well I finally got my Fan Problem solved and all is well with the PC. I should be there tonight now we are to meet at 8pm EST??

Sorry about tonight. Had domestic duty and expected to be back in time. :(

@Neph

Remember I said my computer fan wasn't working? It is. :thumbsup: Thermostatically controlled. Starts up when I'm running DCS.

Well if that is the way it works.. I would think it would be on just spinning at a lower rpm when not needed but this might be a newer design to save energy and only turn on when thermostatically needed..

Pretty neat..Which Case do you have again Wombat I would like to look into it a bit more.. ;)

Well if that is the way it works.. I would think it would be on just spinning at a lower rpm when not needed but this might be a newer design to save energy and only turn on when thermostatically needed..

Pretty neat..Which Case do you have again Wombat I would like to look into it a bit more.. ;)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but had to find the original invoice to get the case specifications. Nothing obvious marked on the case.

However, after a more careful viewing of all 5 fans, I stand corrected: they are all working. :blush: Mind you ........ it is 90'F in the room as I write this. :P

The computer appears to have (in addition to its large top mounted case fan) 4 other fans: 2 at the front of the case, and 1 at the rear of the case. The additional fan is in the body of the computer.

The case is an Antec "Nine Hundred" Gaming Tower with side window, 9 Drive Bays, Top Mounted 200mm Exhaust Fan and no PSU.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit: Just one thing: The case has a lot of dust inside, sucked in by the fans. Even coats the exterior of the case but I came wipe that off as it accumulates.

Could the internal dust lead to a problem(s)?

Thanks.

Edited by Wombat1940

Dust accumulates. That's just part of it. light dust won't cause problems, but heavy dust can. It's a good idea to keep a can of compressed air around and occasionally spray your motherboard and cards. Be sure to do this when the PC is off.

You may also want to check your case itself; mine has to air filters on the bottom intakes that can be cleaned without cracking open the case. Periodic cleaning of those (if your case has them) will also help with the accumulation of dust.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but had to find the original invoice to get the case specifications. Nothing obvious marked on the case.

However, after a more careful viewing of all 5 fans, I stand corrected: they are all working. :blush: Mind you ........ it is 90'F in the room as I write this. :P

The computer appears to have (in addition to its large top mounted case fan) 4 other fans: 2 at the front of the case, and 1 at the rear of the case. The additional fan is in the body of the computer.

The case is an Antec "Nine Hundred" Gaming Tower with side window, 9 Drive Bays, Top Mounted 200mm Exhaust Fan and no PSU.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit: Just one thing: The case has a lot of dust inside, sucked in by the fans. Even coats the exterior of the case but I came wipe that off as it accumulates.

Could the internal dust lead to a problem(s)?

Thanks.

The Antec 900 case is known for being able to move a lot of air and thus dust also. If you need more airflow all of the case fans have speed controls on them that can be adjusted. I do believe it comes from the factory with fans in the middle or low setting. As HF has pointed out the canned compressed air is a good idea for cleaning. If you use air from a compressor make sure it is on a very light line pressure.

Dust accumulates. That's just part of it. light dust won't cause problems, but heavy dust can. It's a good idea to keep a can of compressed air around and occasionally spray your motherboard and cards. Be sure to do this when the PC is off.

You may also want to check your case itself; mine has to air filters on the bottom intakes that can be cleaned without cracking open the case. Periodic cleaning of those (if your case has them) will also help with the accumulation of dust.

Thanks HF.

My assessment of the internal dust would be "light". Particularly compared to the external dust that collects on the fan covers. Doesn't appear to be any filters. Internal access to the case seems problematic without any obvious access point. Would be great if the side window could be detached (its big enough!) but it doesn't have detachable.screw connectors.

The Antec 900 case is known for being able to move a lot of air and thus dust also. If you need more airflow all of the case fans have speed controls on them that can be adjusted. I do believe it comes from the factory with fans in the middle or low setting. As HF has pointed out the canned compressed air is a good idea for cleaning. If you use air from a compressor make sure it is on a very light line pressure.

Thanks Ice.

The fans are relatively quiet and seem adequately set for currently generated heat removal. Mind you, TAW2.0 doesn't get the hot. ;) As I mentioned to HF, internal access to case seems difficult. I'll check the web site.

This whole post is in the wrong place ......... my fault ....... :blush:

Also found the door that opens up the whole side to the case ....... Big enough to climb in to do the cleaning. ;) Also there's a 3 speed fan switch somewhere ...... it all here. :thumbsup:

If you are able to join us, hopefully we'll be able to understand your calls.

Wombat: "Bandittthhhs athhh thheddo thithx theedo"

HF: "Say again, you're broken and undreadable."

Wombat: "Ennemmmmy planthhhhs offffer thhherrre"

HF: "Enema plans? I thought this was a dental visit!" :rofl:

If you are able to join us, hopefully we'll be able to understand your calls.

Wombat: "Bandittthhhs athhh thheddo thithx theedo"

HF: "Say again, you're broken and undreadable."

Wombat: "Ennemmmmy planthhhhs offffer thhherrre"

HF: "Enema plans? I thought this was a dental visit!" :rofl:

:lol: Thanks. Need cheering up. :thumbsup:

Sorry I haven't been around, but the dentist visit proved very unsatisfactory. For me that is. Two molars, one top, one at the bottom, both on left hand side of mouth, only two left on that side ......... abscess under each. BUGGER!!! :angry: Just another reminder of how old I am. :( I could have them out, or root canal filed. I'm going for rcf but have to wait 'til the 29 April. (Two and half G's). What a pain, literally. On anti-biotics 'til then.

Battie: "Wombat!!!"

Wombat: "Sir?"

Battie: "Off topic again!!!"

Just think of how much better you'll feel when it's done! As another upper:

Consider that if the Two and a half G's refers to what I think it does, that's half the price that it would cost here.

Meanwhile, rinse and repeat. :)

two and a half G's? C'mon, Wombat, I've pulled 6 G's without the aid of a G-suit!

Oh, those Gs.... :sofa1:

$$$ .......... but I think you know this ...... :P

No new Warthog now ...... :(

Wombat, you're fine with a cougar. First, the Warthog doesn't have any rotaries on the throttle, and the only slider is the lever that is used for throttle friction in the actual A-10. In other words, you really need pedals when you use the warthog. Besides, the Warthog only uses TARGET, so you would have to learn that (which is learning C++ for more advanced features). At least with the Cougar you can use either TARGET or FOXY.

I think your best bet is to find a set of gameport rudder pedals on eBay and then attach them to your cougar. They'll show up as another axis on the same stick, so you can use them in TAW and EF2000 and program them in anything else. You might be able to find Thrustmaster Elites or CH pedals, and with the pick I would go with the CH as they tend to be bulletproof so your odds of good functional 20 year old pedals go way up. No need to get the CH Pro; you won't be using the toe brakes with the Cougar (and you would need to rewire the pedals to use them anyway), but if you got it it wouldn't hurt anything. Just make sure it's Gameport and not USB if you want to connect to the Cougar. If you get USB, you can use them in DCS, but not TAW or EF2000.

Wombat, you're fine with a cougar. First, the Warthog doesn't have any rotaries on the throttle, and the only slider is the lever that is used for throttle friction in the actual A-10. In other words, you really need pedals when you use the warthog. Besides, the Warthog only uses TARGET, so you would have to learn that (which is learning C++ for more advanced features). At least with the Cougar you can use either TARGET or FOXY.

I think your best bet is to find a set of gameport rudder pedals on eBay and then attach them to your cougar. They'll show up as another axis on the same stick, so you can use them in TAW and EF2000 and program them in anything else. You might be able to find Thrustmaster Elites or CH pedals, and with the pick I would go with the CH as they tend to be bulletproof so your odds of good functional 20 year old pedals go way up. No need to get the CH Pro; you won't be using the toe brakes with the Cougar (and you would need to rewire the pedals to use them anyway), but if you got it it wouldn't hurt anything. Just make sure it's Gameport and not USB if you want to connect to the Cougar. If you get USB, you can use them in DCS, but not TAW or EF2000.

Thanks HF. All good advice. :thumbsup: I was "tongue in cheek" (ie. ;) ) about the Warthog. Something new :nana: versus dentist :( and you know me: "if it ain't broke don't fix (replace) it!" :lol: Hence why I'm still running with XP. Who cares about the 8th April. :spank:

No excuses, Wombat. You'd better be there; we haven't seen you on Raptr or TS3 for weeks. :rolleyes:

At least show up late and ready to set up your DCS. Just have your ED account name and password ready and we'll get you squared away.