I am a Noobie who will be asking for ALOT of help here!

CHUCKP

Hi! I am your newest member!

I am a 66 yr old recently retired (and married for 43 years) businessman who doesn't play golf!

So, what do I do to fill out ALOT of the free time that I now enjoy?

My long time "hobby" is WWII Military Aviation (I am a war baby born in England in 1943 to British parents ...my dad was in the RAF, but was not a flyer) and, consequently, I have collected, over the years, an extensive library of books about this topic along with model military planes from WWII and some aviation art showing the planes of that era in action etc..

I have watched most of the shows on TV that use computer graphics to recreate dogfights and missions (as I am sure many of you have) during the war and was MOST impressed by how realistic they appear!

That got me thinking of WWII Military Aviation Video games that could be played on my PC (No "X-BOX 360/PLAYSTATION 3/WII type consoles" for this old man...they remind me too much of what my neighbors boys (ages 11 and 14) use. They apparently spend alot of time blowing off the heads of invading aliens etc!!)

I watched some Trailers and Demos of WWII Aviation games on various Video Gaming sites and decided that THIS was for me and so, as is typical for me, I went into it big time!

Anyway, I started all of this a bit backwards. Before ever playing one game in my life, I ended up upgrading my PC with a fast Graphics Card, buying a Joystick and a Game Pad and 12 Video Games that seemed to match my specific area of interest....including a WWI aviation game, and a couple of "generic" war games and submarine games just for some variety (actually, I have more than that total, as several are "packs" with multiple games incl all in one set)

Here is my PC's Specs as well as what controllers I bought and a list of the games I have purchased to date:

-HP Pavilion Slimline s3100y PC

-Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

- Intel Core 2 Duo processor E4500 (2.2GHz)

- 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)

- 512MB GeForce Sparkle 9800GT Video Card

- 400GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

- 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

- 15-in-1 memory card reader, USB, headphone port

- Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports

- HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse

MONITOR:

Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" LCD Display

Connection to PC: DVI cable

GAME CONTROLLERS:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB Joystick

Saitek Cyborg P3600 Force USB Rumble Pad

WWII MILITARY VIDEO GAME COLLECTION

1. IL2-STURMOVIK 1946

2. BLAZING ANGELS 2-SECRET MISSIONS OF WWII

3. THE HISTORY CHANNEL-BATTLE OF BRITAIN

4. HEROS OF THE PACIFIC

5. BATTLESTATIONS MIDWAY

6. BATTLESTATIONS PACIFIC

7. B-17 FLYING FORTRESS-THE MIGHTY 8TH

8. RED BARON 3D

9. BATTLEFIELD 1942

10. MEDAL OF HONOR-ALLIED ASSAULT

11. SILENT HUNTER 3

12. SILENT HUNTER 4-GOLD EDITION

===================================

OK...what I have found out so far is that there is a REALLY STEEP LEARNING CURVE you have to climb to get proficient enough, at most of these games, to begin enjoying them rather than being frustrated by their complexity and difficulty of playing them. (The "Owners Manual" for IL2 Sturmovik 1946 is 71 pages long with literally HUNDREDS of selections to make on the various options available to you!!!!!!!!!!!)

That goes for both learning how the games themselves are played (the "rules of engagement", so to speak) AND the actual physical tasks of using the keyboard/mouse-joystick-gamepads PLUS trying to determine how to configure them to do what you want them to....NOT intuitive at all and the manufacturers seem to just assume that whoever buys their units will just automatically know how to use them!! NOT ME...SORRY!

Then there are all the "patches" and fixes and cheats to fix flaws and make the games play and look better......Just for my WWI Red Baron game there are multiple upgrades with names like: "Full Canvas Jacket" and "Hells Angels"....they have to be installed in a certain order to work and that is for just ONE of my games!!!!! (Oh yeah....I might..or might not...need to install a "Glide Wrapper"as well.....what the hell is that? I am just blown away by all this, I have to tell you!!)

I understand that many of the customers for these games WANT them to be hard to play to present a challange and keep the "Hard Core Gamers" interested in them over a period of time...that is GREAT!

BUT, for the noobie, like me, it is just overwhelming...On another similar forum, when I posted this, I was basically told that I should have just bought ONE game and used ONLY the Keyboard and Mouse to control it until I got good at it THEN buy another and eventually a Joystick and/or a Game Pad....I am a "TYPE A" personality and maybe I don't have the patience to be a sucessfull and happy camper at gaming???? I am anxious to get into these games and start to experience the excitement and pleasure that comes from playing them (IF you know what you are doing!)

I hope that here, on this seemingly friendly forum, with alot of comaraderie and a spirit of fun and mutual respect, that I can get the kind of MACRO advise I need to get up to speed and the type of MICRO advise to deal with individual questions on individual games.

So, how can you guys help me? I will appreciate anyone's imput and look forward to getting even close to the competence some of you have in "OUR" mutual hobby!

ChuckP

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gday mate and welcome to the nuthouse always good to have another prop jock here , the hordes will be along shortly to say hi and our resident flyers will be able to garner all sorts of info for ya so put the coffee on sit back and enjoy or slide on over to the bar and buy a beer first ones on the house the rest are on The Dude lol

Once again welcome and enjoy

Hello and welcome to CSim. We have another British born senior here as well, goes by the handle "Whizkid".

There is a learning curve to all types of sims. I'm pretty proficient at flight sims (MicroSoft FS9 and FSX and IL2:1946). I tried submarine sims and found searching and waiting for my prey was just too slow for me. I tried some first person shooter type sims (ARMA and Operation Flashpoint) and could not get used to all the keyboard commands. I can tell you that in order to get the most out of IL2:1946 you need to apply the free patches (4.08m and 4.09bm) and get TrackIR 4. Most flight sims today support TrackIR as do many first person shooter sims. TrackIR allows you to pan your view by moving your head instead of using the keyboard or hat switch. You might be able to master good stick and rudder control with your "twisty" stick, if not, you will need to invest in a set of rudder pedals.

Your video card should be able to handle your sims, but your RAM is slow at only 667 MHz and your CPU is slightly on the slow side at 2.2 GHz. I run a Core2Duo E6850 (3.0 GHZ, now overclocked to 3.6 for FSX), 2 GB of DDR2 800 MHz RAM, factory overclocked Nv 8800GT graphics card and Windows XP SP3. Even before overclocking I could run Il2:1946 with full graphics features and maintain 50+ frames per second.

Welcome, mate. Well, to a certain extent, the other forum was right; just looking at the sheer number of very cool games you got there you're probably trying to learn too much at once, so take a deep breath and step slowly away from the PC. Don't panic; we are a friendly bunch mostly; just DO NOT mention politics at any time, especially American Politics, but I digress.

For controls, if you're into Aviation, I would suggest a stick or yoke (Stcik you've got is OK), throttle, and if you've got any pennies left after shelling out on the first two, a set of rudder pedals to top it off. This is not just for immersion or having cool toys; all flight simulators, Combat, Civil, or even arcade are all trying to recreate the experience of flying an aircraft. Get your controls set up right, buy a game, configure the controls for the game and you're basically using the same moves for all your sims. This drives a medium-sized steamtroller right over the learning curve. 1946 is a good start, because most of us here have a copy and Know Your Pain. Patch it up and play it;get the moves down in this game and the next will be far easier. For help patching, well, you know where we are. :)

For ground combat sims, I only recommend two controllers; Keyboard and Mouse. Then find a control set you like; eg; Medal of Honour; Allied Assault. Play this game, get used to the moves, then reconfigure other games keysets to reproduce them as far as is possible. BTW, There's a game missing from your list; Armed Assault; get that one and any number of the team here will be able to act as guru. Don't get ArmA2 yet; you won't be able to run it; in fact most of us here still need to be able to upgrade to the point where we can properly play that holy grail of combat sims. To sum up; get slick at one game in the genre, then you'll be able to transfer more confidently to others.

Now Stans mentioned TrackIR; It is a very cool control system, and once used, you'll probably never want to sim without it again, but it may be adding another level of complexity to getting you up and running. Let's say that what I've suggested here is the basics to get you started; TrackIR is in phase 2 of your journey to the Dark Side.

Stick with it; it is fun!

Welcome CHUCKP! Always great to have a new member who has the same interests as the rest of us. We will all do our best to help you in anyway possible. Many of our group fly online, within our own group of misfits only, so to keep the internet crazies and children away. I believe I am correct in saying the majority of us here are past the age of 30. Which should reveal much in the way of maturity, but not always in these forums! We all have a very strong bond, but don't let that make you uneasy. We welcome you with open arms! Just keep an eye on your wallet! Oh and the new guy buys the group drinks for at least a week!

Donster

aka "Donnie"

aka the "Babengrupenfuhrermeister"

aka the resident "Section 8" (no dresses of course) ... well except for that one night in Berlin ...

:D

Hi Chuck,

Good to have you on board :)

If you have the funds to go out and buy rudder pedals (I user CH Products rudder pedals) and Track IR, then by all means, grab them now and make them part of your already steep learning curve. You do not, however, need them. You have rudder control built into your Logitech Extreme 3D joystick because you can twist the handle left and right for left and right rudder. Track IR is beloved by those who use it, and it is a major advantage in aerial combat because learning to pan your views using your joystick's castle switch can take years to perfect. If you don't want to spend the cash, however, you can learn to pan your views using either your keyboard's number pad, or by assigning the view keys to your joystick's castle switch. I'm a Track IR Luddite and still use my joystick's castle switch to pan my views, but like I say, it takes a long time to become proficient in that skill when engaged in looping dog fights.

As for your game list, you have some top-notch titles there.

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 is the premiere WWII air combat title. The only other WWII air combat sims worth considering are the massively multiplayer online WWII aerial combat sims like Aces High II, WarBirds, and WWII Online: Battleground Europe that have quite decent aerial action, but they require a monthly subscription fee to play.

Battlefield 1942 is a fun sim, but on the more arcade-ish side compared to the other games in your list.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is a fantastic first-person shooter. No flying, but the gameplay is INTENSE. The mission where you land on Omaha Beach is a must for anyone with an interest in WWII combat.

Silent Hunter 4: Gold Edition is not a title I've played, but it gets rave reviews from all the bubble heads.

You may need some help getting some of your older games running on Vista ... I'm not even sure anyone here has ever tried to get B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th! or Red Baron 3D working on Vista.

Like Stag says, you will want to add Armed Assault (aka ArmA) to your list. This is the only combat simulation that combines air, land, and sea operations in a totally integrated battlefield experience. It would take ten pages to explain all the gameplay features this simulation affords, so I won't even try. Just keep it in mind for the future.

Right now you have a lot on your plate and I recommend you spend most of your time with IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946.

:)

Howdy ChuckP

Welcome aboard.

Let me first say CSIM in my and many others opionionthe best around, helpful, freindly and a heap of other traits to numerous to mention.

I fly IL-2 myself and blong to a great bunch of guys in the VMF-124th (Pacific thearter).

You can install Hyperlobby(free) and fly there, You can usually find me there on any given day and if you wish I will help you out getting started on Hyperlobby send me a PM if you would like to try. Hyperlobby can be very tough as it is a free for all in most cases but you learn quick.

Nice to have you here and look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers M8

Welcome :) When you get set up and get the basics of flying IL-2 figured out I heartily suggest that you try to hook with some mates and fly "online"

There are a couple of "squadrons in residence" here as well as hundreds of others out there in cyberspace. Most of the lads here fly for a USMC squadron VMF-124 in the Pacific area, and a few of us ( more "cultured" types ;) ) fly for the RAF in No.105 Squadron

So....take your time and learn to laugh at crashing your kite.....and enjoy the ride :)

Welcome aboard Chuck. As has been mentioned there are a couple three squadrons in residence here. The active would probably be 105 as VMF-124, which I'm the proud "Skipper" of split time between Il-2 '46 and ArmA.

Best advice I can give you besides what has already been given is take one game and spend what time you can stand on it. Il-2 '46 for example has a pretty good system in that you can create custom missions on the fly. Meaning that you can set it up so you are the only in the game with no ai. You can air start meaning you are in the air, clean flying. All you have to do is throttle up and fly. I'd do this if I was you to get a handle on how the aircraft fly in the game. Start with something fairly forgiving, say a Dauntless or if Slow But deadly is too slow for you, try a Spit, early P-40 or a Hurri to get used to physics. Once you get the "feel" of the birds then you could move on to the higher performance aircraft, say the later model Spits, the P-51 or, if you are up for a real challenge, my favorite mount, The Ensign Eliminator herself, the F4U.

Medal of Honor is a real treat. It's one of those that make you sweat, give you those "oh shite" moments and leave drained but ready for the next mission. ArmA is a good one, but is a modern simunlation with the latest in military hardware.

SH4 is a great game, but as Stan eluded to, patience is the name of the game. Get to fiesty and one of the Son's of Nippon's destroyers will put an end to your career quick fast and in one awful big hurry.

Again, Welcome Aboard and hollar is you need help.

After reading all the foregoing posts, I thought I'd introduce a more cultured tone, and say " It's my pleasure to welcome you, Charles, to the August and Hallowed halls of CombatSim, where men are men, (mostly!), and any stray sheep look nervous, especially when Red, (he's an Aussie) is around". Myself is from London, via Toronto, and San Francisco, presently residing in Sacramento, California, and I, like your Dad, is ex-RAF ground crew, with some T-6 Texan flight time. As somebody said, we are a mature bunch, who fly seriously but lightly, so join the fun and be nice to Gunny, because he can make your life hell if you're not!

(Oh, by the way, I just happen to be the oldest guy around, at 77+, so you can be nice to me, too, OK?)

After reading all the foregoing posts, I thought I'd introduce a more cultured tone, and say " It's my pleasure to welcome you, Charles, to the August and Hallowed halls of CombatSim, where men are men, (mostly!), and any stray sheep look nervous, especially when Red, (he's an Aussie) is around". Myself is from London, via Toronto, and San Francisco, presently residing in Sacramento, California, and I, like your Dad, is ex-RAF ground crew, with some T-6 Texan flight time. As somebody said, we are a mature bunch, who fly seriously but lightly, so join the fun and be nice to Gunny, because he can make your life hell if you're not!

(Oh, by the way, I just happen to be the oldest guy around, at 77+, so you can be nice to me, too, OK?)

August? It's still June. :D

By the way, you said "Myself is from London" as well as "...and I, like your Dad, is ex-RAF ground crew". Are you certain that you have correctly used the verb "is" according to the queen's English? :rofl:

Welcome, CHUCKP.

After looking at your collection, the good news is that you purchased two of the last flight sims you will ever need: IL-2 1946 and Red Baron 3D. Of course, both sims are the last you will ever need because they are incredibly deep and require a long time to master.

I have a lot more experience with IL-2 than I do with RB3D, so I will focus my time on that. But getting you off the ground in RB3D (literally and figuratively) requires only a trip to this website:

Gumps BONUS Page

(Wings of Valor isn't too shabby either).

So far as IL-2 goes, I have literally hundreds of hours logged in that program both in single player and multiplayer, and I have barely scratched the surface of the game. It can be intimidating to newbies because you have so many choices it's hard to figure out where to begin.

The good news is that IL-2 is very scalable, so flip all the switches to easy difficulty to start, though you'll still be challenged on takeoffs, landings, and deflection shooting. Depending on your flying skill, you might want to start with the flight dynamics options to hard (so you don't develop bad habits), but I still recommend easy gunnery, unlimited ammo, and invincibility to start. Start with a plane like the Spit, the P-51D, or the bf-109 (though you need to know the key to get the gunsight to show up), and practice quick combat against large bombers and practice your gunnery (this is where invincibility comes in as the gunners will clean your clock otherwise!). Then move to fighters, then take off invulnerability, then take off unlimited ammo. After a long while, you can enable realistic gunnery (don't be in a hurry to do this).

Lastly, don't be in a hurry to learn too many aircraft too quickly. I mentioned the ones I did because they are stable platforms with decent placement of gauges, and you can learn your way around those cockpits fairly quickly before you graduate to other planes and variants.

Again, welcome, and I hope this helps.

August? It's still June. :D

By the way, you said "Myself is from London" as well as "...and I, like your Dad, is ex-RAF ground crew". Are you certain that you have correctly used the verb "is" according to the queen's English? :rofl:

Valid questions, Dr Stansfield. To elucidate, if I had said "I is from London......" that would have been totally incorrect, and should be "I am from London....", but having said, "Myself is from London....." then I stand grammatically validated. Conversely, you are quite correct in calling my statement "...... and I, like your Dad, is ex-RAF ground crew" erroneous, and I stand corrected, in as much as "........ and I, like your Dad, am ex-RAF ground crew" would be far more grammatically acceptable, for which I thank you, and offer a sincere and humble apology to those readers who might have been offended by this thoughtless error. I vow to scrutinize my future posts to avoid similar dramatic errors! Thank you for your understanding.

Valid questions, Dr Stansfield. To elucidate, if I had said "I is from London......" that would have been totally incorrect, and should be "I am from London....", but having said, "Myself is from London....." then I stand grammatically validated. Conversely, you are quite correct in calling my statement "...... and I, like your Dad, is ex-RAF ground crew" erroneous, and I stand corrected, in as much as "........ and I, like your Dad, am ex-RAF ground crew" would be far more grammatically acceptable, for which I thank you, and offer a sincere and humble apology to those readers who might have been offended by this thoughtless error. I vow to scrutinize my future posts to avoid similar dramatic errors! Thank you for your understanding.

....What?

Gentlemen

I am impressed by the warm welcome by all of you who have already responded to my request for help as a noobie to pc gaming!

Just as a side point, I posted similar requests on a couple of other forums that specialize in military related gaming and did not get anything like the enthusiastic and friendly feedback that you guys have provided!

In only one day, I think I have found my new home for my new "hobby"!!

I will have MANY more questions and requests for help as I get deeper into all of this, but now that I feel confident of your continued support I can stop worrying about how I am ever going to become competent in both the technical and the performance aspects of PC gaming and relax and enjoy the flight!!

Thanx again

Chuck

Gentlemen

I am impressed by the warm welcome by all of you who have already responded to my request for help as a noobie to pc gaming!

Just as a side point, I posted similar requests on a couple of other forums that specialize in military related gaming and did not get anything like the enthusiastic and friendly feedback that you guys have provided!

In only one day, I think I have found my new home for my new "hobby"!!

I will have MANY more questions and requests for help as I get deeper into all of this, but now I feel confident of your continued support I can stop worrying about how I am ever going to become competent in both the technical and the performance aspects of PC gaming and relax and enjoy the flight!!

Thanx again

Chuck

Gentlemen? Wow, the innocence of a newbie! The only thing gentle around here is "Whizkid's Urine Stream™".

pee.gif

:rofl:

Donster

At my age, with BPH, I know all about "gentle" urine streams!

OK, no more calling you guys "gentlemen"! How about "A bunch of tostesterone fueled fighter jocks"?

Anyway, back to our hobby....I am not much interested in "Modern" warfare, so I stick to WWI and WWII for the most part as can be seen by my choise of games

I am also interested in the Korean War, but there are very few games on that conflict.

One that I did find is called "SABRE ACE:CONFLICT OVER KOREA". This game is available on Amazon in good used condition for $19.00 incl shipping.

However, the reviews I found were pretty bad! My question is are there any "mods" for this game that improve it to the point that it is worth getting?

Also, are there any other aviation related Korean War games?

Finally, does one of the games I already have include F-86 and MIG15s in combat in MIG Alley?

PS: I wonder why the Korean War is so under served by the PC War gaming companies?

Chuck

Chuck,

Re: MiG Alley ... check out our MiG Alley page. This was a very good sim as I recall.

Sabre Ace was pretty much a disaster. Steer away from that one.

Thirdwire Productions makes excellent fighter jet and WWI bi-plane sims. They have Strike Fighters: Vietnam that has plenty o' MiGs, but no F86s. F-100s and F-105s are in abundance, however. For WWI action, check out their First Eagles title.

With Thirdwire, you may only have to buy the base game once, then you buy the add-on / expansion packs for the different theaters and eras ... but I could be wrong about that. I think Spectre might get in here and clarify.

Donster

At my age, with BPH, I know all about "gentle" urine streams!

Chuck

See what you've got to look forward to, Donnie? That, and lots of green veggies and fiber!