A great leap forward

heinkill

Hi all. Phew, have been busy working on the next patch for BOBII Wings of Victory. Hope all here are hale and hearty...

Just thought I'd whizz by and give you a preview of some of the stuff coming up...

adlertag2.jpg

A new mod from the creator of IL2-Mat Manager, Aces High 2, takes immersion to a new level for fans of the Battle of Britain era.

Immersion: a state of being deeply engaged or involved. In the flight sim world, it means a game with the ability to suspend disbelief, and allow the player to see, think and feel as though they are behind the stick of Bf109 E4 over the Channel on June 1940.

The wind whistles over the airframe, the engine throbs, nearby flak bursts so loud you can feel it in your chest, the joystick jumps as a line of cannon shells stitches its way across your wing, your heart beats harder and your palms sweat as you twist and turn avoiding the fighter on your six. The landscape whizzing by looks photographic whether seen from altitude or treetop level. That's one kind of immersion.

The other kind of immersion comes from the feeling of being there 'in time'. Is there a feeling of period? Could you believe you were in a 1940s world? Is the language appropriate, the interface, the historical accuracy? It's the immersion that comes from wanting to be able to, say, sit in the cockpit of Squadron Leader James Leatheart's Spitfire on 6 June 1940 at Rochford, and know it is represented in the right skin, at the right airfield, and being able to look out your cockpit at the famous P9398 KL-B numbered Spitfire with the Kiwi emblem, being flown by Alan Deere. That is 'period immersion.'

For the first time, there is a flight sim which not only models the correct markings and skins of every single Bf109, Spitfire and Hurricane which flew in the Battle of Britain, but now also the many hundreds of Luftwaffe bombers with their colourful spinners and emblems...

Read more!

http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/

Or, more importantly, can you eat it?

Errr...free yes, edible, no.

2.10 patch will also include some other great stuff like new ground objects, new flight models with dynamic modelling of airflow over control surfaces varying with speed and altitude, 'proportionate response' AI and of course Aces new bomber skins...

Little vid of Aces work here:

Nifty neat, unfortunately no place around here has BoB2 or I'd be checking it out for sure. I know I could order it off the internets, but that always bugs me for some reason. Dunno why.

You can get a boxed copy shipped to you for 19.99 plus shipping from the A2A website, if you don't like the instant download option...

http://www.a2asimulations.com/bob/

I know it bugs a lot of people to trust their credit card details to the internet though. I bet you could arrange to send them a cheque if you were willing to wait for it to clear though - they are that kind of people.

H

Schatt, I have a boxed copy which you could have. Send me a PM with your address and I'll reply with the details. I've tried to work with it a few times but it's a little too cerebral for my taste. IL-2 is more on my level!

I can barely get off the ground in this game :rolleyes: no matter how little/much rudder i give it on takeoff i nmearly always end up sideways on the runway.

Stick with it. It's difficult, but rewarding. Now my interest has been revived, too.

Hey, H; I heard a rumour that they were working on fixing the multiplayer which got lost by the wayside in the transition from Rowan to Shockwave. Any updates on that?

I can barely get off the ground in this game :rolleyes: no matter how little/much rudder i give it on takeoff i nmearly always end up sideways on the runway.

That's because the Spitfire's main landing gear are so close together. Yet another reason why the P-51 won the war. :D

What?

:popcornsmilie:

Huh-oh!

:sofa1:

Too cerebral for you Whizzers? See the very fact you'd use a word like that gives it away that you're all edjumicated and stuff proving it probably isn't too cerebral for you. :lol:

And you better be hiding Stans...

Too cerebral for you Whizzers? See the very fact you'd use a word like that gives it away that you're all edjumicated and stuff proving it probably isn't too cerebral for you. :lol:

And you better be hiding Stans...

Hunkered down with my trust M1 Garand, the rifle that won the war. :D

Stick with it. It's difficult, but rewarding. Now my interest has been revived, too.

Hey, H; I heard a rumour that they were working on fixing the multiplayer which got lost by the wayside in the transition from Rowan to Shockwave. Any updates on that?

Yep, we've got a group digging away at the multiplayer code - the focus is to get the 'teamplay' and 'deathmatch' modes working. Teamplay is a Coop mode where the players fight the AI or other teams, Deathmatch is, well, deathmatch.

TEAM PLAY SCENARIOS

Flights no advantage: Opposing flights heading towards each other.

Flights Luftwaffe advantage: Luftwaffe aircraft start behind RAF aircraft.

Flights RAF advantage: RAF aircraft start behind Luftwaffe aircraft.

Flights, random advantage: Advantage of RAF or Luftwaffe selected at random.

Elements scattered: Groups of two players start outtogether, but scattered from other two player elements.

Elements close: Groups of two players start out together, but close to the other two player elements.

Singles Implode: Players are heading directly in the middle of the circle of players.

Singles Explode: Players are heading directly away from the circle of players.

Technical challenges at the moment exist with synching between the AI and live players, especially for players with lower 'ping' values. Help from a coder familiar with C+++ desperately needed. Multiplayer won't make it into patch 2.10 unfortunately.

On another brighter note, the AI in BOB2 has been cranked up yet another notch in Patch 2.10.

Threw together a little video to show one of the great leaps forward achieved by Buddye in further programming the AI for Patch 2.10.

This video shows a newly refined feature which allows the player tighter control over dogfight tactics in both instant action and campaign dogfights.

The Luftwaffe 'Rotte'

rotte.jpg

Using lessons from the Spanish civil war, the Luftwaffe developed the tactic called the 'Rotte', where a lead and wing aircraft worked together as a pair to attack an enemy. The Rotte formation meant that the leader could concentrate on the sky around them, and the engagement, while the wingman could stay 'down sun' of their leader and always have them in sight. They could also spread their attention to the sky around them, rather than maintaining wingtip to wingtip distance from their leader.

Two Rotte comprised a 'Schwarm' of four aircraft, the basic Luftwaffe fighter unit. Bitter experience saw the RAF adopt the same tactics toward the end of the Battle of Britain as they abandoned their outmoded 'VIC' formation, which required two wingmen to form up on their leader, and spend so much time concentrating on maintaining formation that they had no time to scan the sky for the enemy. It also meant that at least one wingman was often looking into the sun.

Have you ever been in a furball where half your squadron dived after the same target, leaving you to tangle with the rest of the enemy unit? Wouldn't it be great if you could order your BOBII AI wingmen to use 'rotte' tactics and attack the enemy in pairs, dividing up the targets to gain a 2 vs 1 advantage wherever possible, and able to watch each other's back in case they themselves are attacked.

Now, thanks to Buddye, you can - just by setting MAX_AI_TARGETING_AI=2 in the BDG.txt configuration file in the BOBII main folder.

AI vs player, you now control the odds

You can also control how many aircraft the AI assigns to attack you...and the game will dynamically monitor who is on your tail, whether they are offensive or defensive, and if possible, keep the pressure on you as the player. For a fair challenge you can set the game AI so that the maximum AI targeting the player at any one time is 1 vs 1, and if there is an enemy AI in range and in position, it will target you. For more challenge, you can up it to 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1.

Just set MAX_AI_TARGETING_PLAYER=1 for a 1 v 1 challenge (or 2 if you feel lucky, punk).

Of course, once the battle is joined, many things can happen to alter the balance, but the code is quite tight. If you tell the AI to use 'rotte' tactics and target 2 vs 1, this is what it will try to do.

See the new controls in action in this video...and experiment with them to your heart's content when Patch 2.10 arrives!

*The MAX_AI_TARGETING_AI and MAX_AI_TARGETING_PLAYER configuration lines in the BDG.txt file were available in previous versions of BOB2 but worked erratically. The AI has now been beautifully refined by Buddye thanks to user input from the BOB2 discussion forums (thanks for the spur Itkovian!).

That's really, really pretty looking terrain, I mean awesomely good views of London that looks like...London! The planes are pretty spiffy looking as well. I liked the flak sounds a lot too, they were good and beefy.

The one thing that jumped out at me though was the tracers, they looked a little laser-y, but I'm guessing that's something that has a mod for already? If so very groovy, if not it's not something big enough to keep me from getting it but it honestly is a little laser-y looking to me.

Il-2s were pretty laser-y too of course, but there are all sorts of tracer mods now so it's a lot more bearable.

The kersplat at the end: Priceless. :thumbsup:

And I really liked the way the AI was doing what they were told. That's always a bonus in a sim, and not as common as it should be for sure. :lol:

Gawd! They get MP sussed, it will be damned near perfect!

I think help would be useful against AI like that!

Indeed!

I had to watch the video a second time-ah (French soldier on the wall voice) just to check out the ground again, that is friggin' gorgeous looking terrain.

EDIT: Watched the bombers multiskin one again too, and the tracers aren't nearly as bad looking in it, so it could have been a camera angle thing with the AI clip or something. And the terrain down low looked just as good too.