COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

yes i got it to work. thank you. 

it took a bit of random clicking and reading of the manual but i got it to work. even got the radio chatter to work. 

only one thing. the graphics are ultra low. i remember the cammo patterns being quite smooth on the plane but mine are just big squares of color. it looks like wolfenstien 3D graphics except the pixels (on the camo) are even bigger. and around the sunflares there are squares. i also remember that the AA missles had a blueish trail and the AG missles and rockets had an orange one but mine are all white. i had a look at some screenshots of the game on google and it confirms that my graphics are no where near where they should be. i dont think its a problem with my pc its only a laptop but its quite new. i run HL2 on full settings with no problems at all. 

does anyone know if there is a way to improve the graphics? maybe i got the settings wrong. but i know nothing about this stuff. no idea what a glide wrapper is and such.

bad graphics wont stop me playing though love this game.

thanks in advance

yes toni i found it!

its so awesome. altho i had forgotten how to fly! doh!. 

it took me 5 or 6 tries of random button bashing to find the engine start and throttle. however i had rememberd how to turn while on the ground, and once i had i couldnt take off because i didnt realise i only had one engine turned on. i kept crashing off the end of the airfield haha. but i got it worked out now. i found the keyboard controls on this website and had a good read through.

2 hours ago, InfiGamer said:

only one thing. the graphics are ultra low. i remember the cammo patterns being quite smooth on the plane but mine are just big squares of color. it looks like wolfenstien 3D graphics except the pixels (on the camo) are even bigger. and around the sunflares there are squares. i also remember that the AA missles had a blueish trail and the AG missles and rockets had an orange one but mine are all white. i had a look at some screenshots of the game on google and it confirms that my graphics are no where near where they should be. i dont think its a problem with my pc its only a laptop but its quite new. i run HL2 on full settings with no problems at all. 

does anyone know if there is a way to improve the graphics? maybe i got the settings wrong. but i know nothing about this stuff. no idea what a glide wrapper is and such.

If you remember blue/orange smoke trails, then you were running the D3D version of TAW.  That is still an option with 2.0, though we've pushed Glide because its compatibilty with modern systems (using a Glide wrapper) exceeds that of D3D5 and the AGP calls of the late 1990s.  But you can certainly try D3D, though you'll likely lose the moving map when zoomed into the MFD.  There's a quick guide on the differences between Glide and D3D that can be found in the References section of the Launcher.  Go to the References pulldown menu, select Additional References -> Glide/Direct3D Decision Aid.  The document is dated, but still covers the major items.

As far as what a Glide wrapper is, it is a software program that emulates the Glide API used with 3DFX cards.  Since the Glide wrappers included with TAW 2.0 (nGlide and dgVoodoo) both support D3D9, they are more compatible with modern video cards than the native D3D in TAW.  If you are getting graphical artifacts with one of the wrappers, try the other one (e.g. if you have problems with dgVoodoo, try nGlide).  You can switch between the two in the Configuration menu.  I recommend nGlide because it is still supported (and the developer has helped to make it compatible with TAW) and because its use enables SweetFX in the Launcher GUI, but both wrappers work well.  You can also download Zeckensack's Glide wrapper and apply it to TAW 2.0; there is a section in the Manual Addendum in how to setup and use the Zeckensack wrapper.  Zeckensack uses OpenGL instead of D3D, so you may have better luck here.

If you still have issues, please start a new thread and post screenshots.  A new post is more likely to get attention from other folks who can also contribute to a solution.

Just an awesome sim.  :thumbsup:  Hi guys.  Just back from 6 months in Bali.

Thanks Home Fries for your explanation. i will give a few more options a go. and if i run into trouble ill start a new thread.

but i think i will just play it as it is. its still amazing and totally playable. its almost a new game because when i played it as a kid i never did any of the campaigns! i guess i wanted to jump right into the action.

Thanks for taking the trouble to release 2.30, Home Fries. :thumbsup:

All I needed to do was change a couple of dgvoodoo settings, and I was good to go. In fact, I'm having a blast flying my first campaign for ages.
It's only 'Urgent Shield', but I kind of like the easy campaigns. Rather than attack items on the target list myself, I'd rather take out the C4 installations and A-50s in stealth raids to make life easier for my AI colleagues.
Maybe not how the game was intended to be played, but the beauty of TAW is that it can be played however you want. :)

9 minutes ago, mikew said:

I'd rather take out the C4 installations and A-50s in stealth raids to make life easier for my AI colleagues.

What?? When I played the game back then, the AI colleagues were the only survivors because I always got shot down by SAM sites first :D

hi people. another question yes. this time not about graphics or anything but game controls.

im having trouble dropping LGBs. yes i have read the controls guide and searched the internet for other guides. but none have solved my problem.

i have locked on the target with my lantaran but im furiously bashing my spacebar and nothing happens. the bomb is locked onto my plane! 

how do i drop this bomb!

Hi, guys. An almost octogenarian here from Scotland. Remember spending hours and hours playing TAW and EF2000 back in the nineties. Updating my machine over the years meant I lost TAW.  

Stumbled onto your website while browsing and last night I decided to download the TAW from the first post in this thread. I seem to have managed to load it all with no hiccups and reached the Finish and ready to launch screen but haven't yet clicked the 'launch'.

I'm not a techie or a geek but seem to be able to find my way around.

Have had a Speedlink Black Widow joystick for ages so can now set that up.

Assembled my current machine a year or so ago - i-5 4670,  with Raedon R9 280X and running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with 16MB Ram.

Having a picnic lunch today but will switch on later and - fingers crossed- we'll see how it goes.

Any last minute warnings or tips?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to go back to TAW at last.

If I upgrade to Windows 10 64bit by July, do I lose TAW again?

Welcome to the forums, Bufty!

It looks like the Black Widow is a great stick for TAW; it's all of the axes in a single controller (which is what TAW recognizes).  Likewise, you should have no problems with the system you describe.  I haven't tested with Windows 10, but I haven't seen any bug reports with Windows 10 as a root cause.

As far as tips, the best tip is to read through the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum.  This describes the enhancements with TAW 2.0 over the original, and helps you navigate the front end.  Also, play with the front end; there are a lot of things you can do with TAW, but most of it requires external manipulation (e.g. selecting skins, weather, etc.).

Finally, just enjoy it like you used to!

Thanks Home Fries. Have also downloaded DCS after again stumbling on it through browsing here. Also acquired another joystick! Thrustmaster T Flight Hotax X. So now I've plenty to keep me occupied.

Thanks for the tips and the kind welcome.

Hello,

I have a powerful system with a voodoo 5 card. That´s why I want to play TAW on a Win98SE system. Well I found a setting with good graphics in 800 x 600 pixels (default). Forcing it to the next higher resolution doesn´t work for me. Is it possible to play TAW on a Win98SE system with a higher resolution? The installation of version 2.3 worked with some adjustments made by the installer itself.

Nice TAW is alive.

Peter

The only ways to get higher resolution is using the 1024x768 D3D version, or using a Glide Wrapper.  Since you have a Voodoo card, using a Glide wrapper makes no sense.  Unfortunately, you are stuck at 800x600 in native Voodoo.

If you decide to render in D3D mode, dgVoodoo is the only Glide wrapper included that works with Windows 98.  Unfortunately, in running Win98 you also miss out on things like TrackIR compatibility.

On 2/12/2016 at 2:18 AM, Home Fries said:

Apologies for posting mistake- this is my reply, not 'what Home Fries said'.

Home Fries, I just read the Manual Addendum, having already downloaded TAW. (Not launched anything yet)

Should I have read that before downloading, and re the graphics how do I know whether my Radeon Dual-X R9 280X means I should have downloaded the Voodoo or the Glide or whatever. Maybe I can adjust everything through what I have already downloaded.

Should I uninstall and start afresh having read the Addendum?

Sorry to seem so dumb, Bufty!

Edited by Bufty2
Error

You're fine, Bufty.  No need to reinstall.  One of the benefits of TAW 2.0 is that you can adjust your configuration from within the software.

Your Radeon card works well with either D3D or Glide, though I think Glide looks and works better as a whole.  You can change your renderer and Glide Wrapper (the utility that interprets Glide to your card) from within the configuration menu, and despite the implications in the name, nGlide works just as well with Radeon as it does with nVidia.

Oh, thank you so much, Home Fries. It makes a huge difference to have access to you guys who know what you are doing.

On the original TAW I remember spending hours flying real time to targets then disposing of them and then zipping off and striving silently to getting home safely. Great fun. (Not much fun for the guys who do it for real - I have huge respect for them).

Will come back to you if I hit problems but thanks again.

I presume you are the same Home Fries I spotted in Simhq. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bufty2
Afterthought

8 hours ago, Bufty2 said:

I presume you are the same Home Fries I spotted in Simhq. :thumbsup:

That's me.  Also on the DCS and CombatAce forums as well.

Safely downloaded nGlide  and SweetFX and all seems to be working. Music, too. Thank you. Tried first two Free Flight and Training missions and was told I'd passed before I even took off! Guess that's to avoid experienced folk having to work through all the basics.

No problem- just have to re-learn how to use my throttle and joystick buttons and all the commands now, and see how things look on the map screens and outside when I get lower. Is mouse and keyboard adviseable or should I persevere with the joystick?

Cheers..

7 hours ago, Bufty2 said:

Safely downloaded nGlide  and SweetFX and all seems to be working. Music, too. Thank you. Tried first two Free Flight and Training missions and was told I'd passed before I even took off! Guess that's to avoid experienced folk having to work through all the basics.

No problem- just have to re-learn how to use my throttle and joystick buttons and all the commands now, and see how things look on the map screens and outside when I get lower. Is mouse and keyboard adviseable or should I persevere with the joystick?

Cheers..

You actually didn't need to download either sweetfx or nGlide; both are included in the package and integrated into the launcher.  The only thing you would need to download is the Zeckensack Glide wrapper if you choose to use that instead of nGlide.

Definitely persevere with the joystick.  There are people who can fly it well with a keyboard, but the joystick is much better.  There is actually no option to fly with the mouse, though you can use it when zoomed into MFDs.