COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

Home Fries

Eagle_Flight, many MANY thanks ! That did the trick. I look forward to meeting all of you online... My last F22 dogfight was something like 13 years ago :blink:

Well ...... you've tumbled to it ........ I'm the TAW2.0 Multiplay Recruiting Officer :icon_salute3: (The MRO ........ rather like that ...... ). I'm not really :(

but we are always looking for new pilots to join us. No pressure, no pep talks, but if interested to find out more, this post is worth a read:

See you in the skies.

Miacubin,

Good luck learning to use TAWBC the hard way 1st.

Eagle_Flight is an expert.

I learn 1st,, the easy way & move up.

If dogfighting is your main interest,, You don't need the "Battle Comandar".

Dogfighting is not my thing as (IMHP) the F22 was not designed to dogfight.

There are so many better uses to spend my tax $s.

Hay,, fun is fun. We have some very good dogfighters.

If dogfighting is your thing, you better know how to eat dirt, or kick monkey.

youareakiller.jpg

Miacubin,

Good luck learning to use TAWBC the hard way 1st.

Eagle_Flight is an expert.

I learn 1st,, the easy way & move up.

Hey nobody gets born an expert in anything.. TAW:BC isn't completely intuitive but it's not so hard to learn either.

I will try to assist when and where I can, so (this also goes for anyone else) go ahead and ask if you got any more questions regarding TAW:BC and such.

Take it easy!

PS:

...as (IMHP) the F22 was not designed to dogfight.

Oh well then why does it have thrust vectoring? B) I will agree though, the trend is going to technological warfare, by superior weapons/RADAR/flight range and of course skillful use of stealth (EMCON 1) - But when the F22 has got to get down and dirty, it's not a fight that gets decided easily! I don't think the main purpose of the F22 was dogfighting - never the less, the F22 is a beast! And it will put up one hell of a fight!

But I've run into 3 distinct issues I need help with, they're all(?) related to TAWBC. Before anyone asks, yes I have the latest TAW 2.16a installed, system drivers are up to date, etc etc. I have the same issues on two different systems. I'm an IT professional in real life, so please do not waste your time by asking me if my screen is turned on, and so forth. BUT... I'm no programmer :)

The first issue is probably a quick fix for most veterans here, but I could not find the solution:

HOW do you delete a unit in Battle Commander's mission map ?

Second issue, more preoccupying...

Waypoints... When I try to assign waypoints to units, I very randomly get a floating point zero error

Qs?

There is always the dash one.

smldoc.jpg

BTW;

The cannon works well when picking off enemy aircraft on the ground.

Qs?

There is always the dash one.

smldoc.jpg

Sry to be picky, but the documentation doesn't actually state where you can delete units. After I looked it up I did find this part:

Editing

Left click on an object to select it. Right click to bring up its properties If more objects are

under cursor, a list will be shown first. Already selected objects are highlighted in this list.

Drag selected objects to adjust position. Press [ctrl] to move all waypoints. Move first or last

waypoint over friendly airfield to assign takeoff or landing. Move any other waypoint over

enemy object to assign target.

Still, I see no problem in helping out? Hope I didn't offend anyone there..!

Chill

Eagle out

I see no problem in helping out? That's one of the reasons we are here.

This BB is full of help.

I only suggest checking the program's dreaded manual 1st not last.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Well, one of the things we shouldn't do is crash in and go like the guys that edit maps for Men of War and the previous titles in that series.

The engine is Russian by design and documentation is rather poor, they did to a very very basic video YouTube tutorial but the worst part of it is the community.

It is filled with asshats to say the least, in other words they are not friendly if you ask and will usually just tell you to tinker around with it and providing no instruction at all.

Suffice to say I did bust one of the modders wide open as he had a lot of faults in his missions and I made what you can call a PROPER of it, small mistakes but potentially game stoppers, for an example forgetting to add ammo to a unit or forgetting to turn of invincibillity of a unit after testing etc.

In short, there is no help from the community if you are stuck and even if you did release a tutorial you are still picked on under the claim. "Woah, bad idea now the noobs will come to you and ask the questions."

That is a path we don't want to walk here, not when we are as unique as we are... (Any other TAW forums that are still alive out there? Probably not.)

Hi all! I've just registerwed for two reasons:

1) A LOT OF THANKS for TAW 2.0. After several years I wanted to play TAW again but I unfortunately discovered that I couldn't install it on Win7. Then searching for some kind of patches I found this. A great work.

2) It's all great, but something came right away to my attention when I tried a campaign: where is the "taxing phase", when you have to "taxi to runway" at the beginning of a mission before taking off? Has been this feature cut out? Or maybe there 's something I have to do and I don't remember? As it is now, it's always like a scramble, when you are directly placed on the take-off strip.

thank you for the answer.

There's a config file which I think is called 'game.cfg' in your TAW program folder. You need to open this in Notepad and change the line START_ON_RUNWAY=1 to START_ON_RUNWAY=0.

....or something like that. I don't have the game with me right now.

Perfect, thanks. Is there any other useful configuration lines I can change to further improve the experience? For example there's a "REALISM" line in that cfg file, how can I know what those 1s and 0s refer to?

Hey welcome to the forums!

Yeah there are quite a few:

I grabbed this from the original TAW readme. (in the Launcher -> Help -> TAW (Original) Readme)

START_ON_RUNWAY=1

This will put the player's flight on the runway at the start of any campaign mission

(Just like a scramble mission). The player can then just takeoff and start the mission.

You don't need to wait for any messages from the tower.

OTHER_FLIGHTS_IN_AIR=1

This will put you in the world when the other flights in your mission have taken off.

If you set the above flag also you will be able to get your mission underway very quickly.

REARM_WINGMEN=1

This means that when you land and rearm your wingmen will also be rearmed. This will happen

even if your wingmen are in the air.

LAND_AT_ANY_BASE=1

This means that you will get a mission success for landing at any allied airbase.

The completion events will still state your real home base however.

MORE_CANNON_ON_HARD=1

Gives you 1750 cannon rounds on hard difficulty .

NO_COLLISION_ON_GROUND=1

Disables plane to plane collisions on the ground.

Other options in the game.cfg file might make stuff better or worse, but I'm no expert on what/if changing some option has an effect.

Perfect, thanks. Is there any other useful configuration lines I can change to further improve the experience? For example there's a "REALISM" line in that cfg file, how can I know what those 1s and 0s refer to?

"1" turn it on "0" turns it off, and in some cases in set the level as "1", "2", "3". etc. Some of us have fiddled with all of the options with mixed success. Remember to make a backup copy of a clean game.cfg file.

Here's mine: (don't reset the rez option. its .exe specific for your wrapper.)

game1-1.jpg

game1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Incredible nostalgia, updated!

Running the v2.16 / patch in D3D on Win 7 on XP SP2 compat. mode, with disable desktop comp, as administrator, as suggested, and no ugly CTDs!

Sheer joy to have this game back and even on 600x800 screen resolution it's a marvel. I'll experiment with the newer weather etc. features in due course.

Many thanks to all concerned!

Just wished somebody could fix the map display and introduce secondary destruction whereby, say, destroying the two ammo bunkers at Army bases creates a chain reaction that takes out the whole base.

Great to be back in it, even with chuffing Locos!

Momo-Rimposhay

Running the v2.16 / patch in D3D on Win 7 on XP SP2 compat. mode, with disable desktop comp, as administrator, as suggested, and no ugly CTDs!

Sheer joy to have this game back and even on 600x800 screen resolution it's a marvel. I'll experiment with the newer weather etc. features in due course.

Just wished somebody could fix the map display and introduce secondary destruction whereby, say, destroying the two ammo bunkers at Army bases creates a chain reaction that takes out the whole base.

Momo-Rimposhay

'tony.t'

We invite you to join us on TS3 for our weekly fly-in.

Find more info here on this BB

Please post if you are interested, so we know how many to expect, or just show up and surprise us.

Welcome aboard.

broomriders.jpg

Hawkx

Edited by Hawkx

Momo-Rimposhay

Welcome to the forums!

Definitely check out the Fly-in later today, it's great fun with the members around here.

I won't be making it for the Wednesday fly-ins for the next few weeks though, but I'm sure there will be some people showing up!

Everyone else, enjoy the fly-in!

Cheers!

Eagle

• 2 weeks later...

Tested on everything from Win98SE to Vista x64 and Win7, except for Win2000 and WinNT. You will need Admin priveledges to install on vista, though.

BTW: HF

Eagle, Sobe & I flew over the "Aswan High Dam". Texture looks good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...