COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

Home Fries

Hey guys. I'm new to these forums but I've already been playing TAW 2 for several months, and these are my thoughts:

First off, TAW is arguably the best F-22 sim out there, and the changes made in TAW 2 are simply awesome (from what screenshots I've seen from the original TAW, never actually played it). That's why I've been thinking about the problems that haven't been fixed yet. From what I've read on the forums, you're already working on the issue of limitless enemy aircraft, so I'm going to talk about another problem.

I'm sure you people have read the reports about Red Flag exercises in which F-22s have participated. F-15s and F-16s and even AWACS aircraft haven't really been able to acquire the F-22 using RADAR, and the only couple of kills on F-22s have either been in 1 vs 3 cannon fights or 1 vs 3 WVR heater fights. But in TAW, on anything but easy difficulty (especially on hard), enemy aircraft have every Sci-Fi capability that you could think of, like being able to acquire RADAR lock on an F-22 in stealth configuration from 40 miles away, dodging AIM-9X-es simply by pumping out flares (latest R-73 models and AIM-9X are very difficult to defeat because of their imaging IR seekers and improved processing and AI). And their flight models make you change your mind about the F-22's super-maneuverability. On Hard difficulty, every enemy plane can out-turn you, and what makes me go mad is that EF Typhoon is considerably overpowered, especially given the fact that it's not a super-maneuverable airframe and doesn't have thrust vectoring. So, the most realistic difficulty level (I said realistic, not appealing in terms of game play, actually easy gives you turkey shoots most of the time, which is totally realistic about the F-22). Is there a way to combine the realistic aspects of easy difficulty with the realistic aspects of medium and hard? Or it requires EXE edits?

But regardless of realism problems (which are totally acceptable, given that TAW was created before these Red Flags happened), this game seriously owns in terms of game play. Thanks for the great work, lads (for making such a great game playable on Win 7 :D ). ;)

Three part answer here:

1. We can do only so much without the source code. Any changes to flight model or core gameplay would at this point require hex-editing of the f22.dat file. We haven't been able to find where much of the flight model data is stored, so updates like this have a low priority.
  2. The game was written to be a fun simulation, as opposed to hard-core realism. You will find that certain allowances have been made to other aircraft to keep things interesting. Case in point: a Su-27 can catch you in a tailchase while you are supercruising. We've all been frustrated by the same things, but see the first bullet as to why we haven't changed it.
  3. You should still be able to dogfight with anything out there, but you need to dogfight smart. A good pilot in a MiG-21 can take a poor pilot in a F-22. It's all about energy management and smart BFM, but if you keep your speed around 350-450 you should be able to stick to anything.

Hey guys. I'm new to these forums but I've already been playing TAW 2 for several months, and these are my thoughts:

And their flight models make you change your mind about the F-22's super-maneuverability. On Hard difficulty, every enemy plane can out-turn you, and what makes me go mad is that EF Typhoon is considerably overpowered, especially given the fact that it's not a super-maneuverable airframe and doesn't have thrust vectoring.

Hi, First thing I'll Say is Stop using G for Brains.. ;).. I will also add the EF2000 is a SUPER MANUVERABLE Plane. it has a turn rate of 55 Degrees a second.. IT has been described like driving a Porsche Backwards at top speeds or something ridiculous..

If you are Having Difficulty DogFighting other jets I would Suggest Reading the EF2000 Strategy Guide on Dogfighting especially looking at the Dog House Plots.. There is a TON of Good Info in there.. or if you have any questions I would be glad to offer a suggestion or two..

But pick a jet like a mig 21 on Hard Difficulty Guns ONLY and if you get beat well I would offer this First bit of Advise: "PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE" ;)

Dogfighting is tricky... Better of starting to learn the messy gunsight first, and the best way to do that is to start with the fatties, 747, C5A then step up the game from there to A-10 and SU-25, and from there to MiG-21 and flying French crap Mirage...

After that you hit the trickier bunch such as the EF2000 and Raptor, those are the toughest kills and some cheating bastards :P

Thanks for the replies. First off, I have managed to beat every plane on medium, and I don't have any problems about dogfighting techniques, albeit I appreciate the posts concerned with tips on dogfighting. I just wanted to know if realism could be significantly improved, or not (I mean, dogfighting against an AI F-22 with similar capabilities but superior pilot, not an F-22 whose radar has either better detection range than mine, or worse, not equal to mine).

And by the way, Typhoon isn't super-maneuverable, despite being very agile. The excess power available to the F-22, in addition to thrust vectoring nozzles, make it a much more maneuverable plane than the Typhoon. Check it out on Wikipedia.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies. Looking forward to the next patches (and hopefully something like TAW 3).

Martinius,

Thanks for feed-back.

First off,, we didn't spend all that money for a dog fighter.

You may be happier in the F-86 Sabre v the Soviet MiG-15 in dogfights.

Remember Korea?

You may have managed to beat every plane on SP TAW medium. :thumbsup:

You are welcome to join us & test your skills with Multiplayer humans.

We fly for fun. You can find us on TS3, now :icon_salute3:

We have a few that may give you "realism capabilities" you don't find in TAW 2.0a

fear2.jpg

Total Air War v2.0 Semi-Weekly Multiplayer Fly-in.

You can find us on TS3, now

BTW,

We measure our fun by "Mission Success"

iron55.jpg

Thanks for the replies. First off, I have managed to beat every plane on medium, and I don't have any problems about dogfighting techniques, albeit I appreciate the posts concerned with tips on dogfighting. I just wanted to know if realism could be significantly improved, or not (I mean, dogfighting against an AI F-22 with similar capabilities but superior pilot, not an F-22 whose radar has either better detection range than mine, or worse, not equal to mine).

And by the way, Typhoon isn't super-maneuverable, despite being very agile. The excess power available to the F-22, in addition to thrust vectoring nozzles, make it a much more maneuverable plane than the Typhoon. Check it out on Wikipedia.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies. Looking forward to the next patches (and hopefully something like TAW 3).

Well, on the TAW wiki we got to see some diagrams on both the EF2000 and F-22, the F-22 only has a slight edge :P

Turn rate does kill and the EF2k is quite close to the Raptor in performance.

During their visit to the US the Eurofighter did win a mock up fight with the F-22 (Air Forces Monthly featured that one.) so it is not a machine you can brush off.

In TAW, its arsenal of missiles can quickly make your day go bad in either role, it can however easily be beaten with the "Altitude monkey" manouver:

Yeah, thanks for that tip. Shooting the target in the dive following the altitude monkey is a bit hard though, because I don't have a joystick.

Actually, my internet connection is rather slow, but I'll come visit you guys at the multiplayer fly-in sometime.

excues-me.gif

Yeah, you have managed to beat every plane on medium, and you don't have any problems about dogfighting techniques, albeit you don't even have a joystick.

To appreciate TAW with advice on dogfighting "realism capabilities" is just nonsence.

Maybe you would be happier with some Grab Ass dogfighting simulater.

Not to say you are not welcome to join us if or when you get a connection that can handle "realism capabilities".

Yeah, Martinius,,, please join us.

f22-clown-smler.gif

BTW,

Save that "Altitude monkey" manouver :popcornsmilie:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just installed TAW 2 on my Win7 x64 system (1920x1080 resolution).

I also applied the 2.20a patch and it asked me if there had been a problem disabling mods?

Not having started the game, I just clicked "No," hope that was ok...

Anyway, I'd like to know if I need to configure anything else.

The installer mentioned some manual with notes on Windows 7 that could be opened from the "references" menu of the launcher, but I can't find such a manual anywhere, and the rest isn't really readible either:

taw2u6kzi.jpg

I don't want to waste your time, so I'll definitely read the manual, I just can't find it...

(I'd also like to know if the NVG-Fix is needed and what Glide options I should select, but I guess that's described in the manual...)

Thanks!

Hey guys, I just installed TAW 2 on my Win7 x64 system (1920x1080 resolution).

I also applied the 2.20a patch and it asked me if there had been a problem disabling mods?

Not having started the game, I just clicked "No," hope that was ok...

Anyway, I'd like to know if I need to configure anything else.

The installer mentioned some manual with notes on Windows 7 that could be opened from the "references" menu of the launcher, but I can't find such a manual anywhere, and the rest isn't really readible either:

I don't want to waste your time, so I'll definitely read the manual, I just can't find it...

(I'd also like to know if the NVG-Fix is needed and what Glide options I should select, but I guess that's described in the manual...)

Thanks!

The manual(s) are here in the top left hand corner:

Launcher-3.jpg

Read the TAW2.0 Manual from front to back otherwise Home Fries gets upset. :lol: Sorry HF ...... we all agree, the manual and the Launcher are critical. Forget the MODS for now. They're tweaks which come later. NVG-Fix? Haven't got a clue. Just forget for the moment.

As to which .exe, read the TAW2.0 manual and try them.

Finally ....... get into the air. Who cares it you dart the ground a few times. You need to suck it (quickly) and see. Then you waste nobodies time. ;)

Enjoy the moment and imagine what a 'stick between your legs would be like. Wombat! ......... behave! :thumbsup:

taw2u6kzi.jpg

Thanks!

ChocolateFactory,

Judging by your screenshot, you have large fonts enabled in windows. This obviously causes issues with the launcher. You may want to go to small fonts until you know which buttons do what. At that point you can just click on the icons for whatever you need, then you can go back to large fonts.

BTW, NVG Fix isn't needed, but it is quite useful for night flying. It allows you to toggle between night vision and natural light while zoomed into MFDs, which can be very useful when using LANTIRN.

ChocolateFactory,

Judging by your screenshot, you have large fonts enabled in windows. This obviously causes issues with the launcher. You may want to go to small fonts until you know which buttons do what. At that point you can just click on the icons for whatever you need, then you can go back to large fonts.

BTW, NVG Fix isn't needed, but it is quite useful for night flying. It allows you to toggle between night vision and natural light while zoomed into MFDs, which can be very useful when using LANTIRN.

Thanks HF. My responses were a little on the lighter side and I might bow out here. Just showing my low level of understanding with the NVG Fix thingy. I've always accepted the current NVG situation was the original norm. :(

ChocolateFactory,

I'm not sure what to say. The settings you have for Win7 are the same as mine, and they should work 100%. Cleartype shouldn't have any adverse affect either (I use it myself).

That said, the fonts I used for the launcher are Microsoft fonts, and I created the launcher in VB6. I have no idea why the text is that large on your system. I'll google to see what I can find, but no promises.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it to work... somehow I managed to click the right spot.

But the graphics don't look very good...

And dgVoodoo always says "Warning! Incompatible mode!", no matter what I select:

dgvoodoodvkql.jpg

Also, dgVoodoo only shows the integrated Intel graphics, and not my nVidia graphics - as the laptop always uses the integrated Sandy-bridge graphics as long as it's not running any 3D stuff, to save power...

And it was a fresh install, and then I applied the patch, yes...

@Red,

You can install it over 2.20a. If it ever requires a fresh install, I will make note of it in the first post.

@ChocolateFactory,

I'm not sure what to say regarding dgVoodoo. You may want to try nGlide and see if you have better luck. If not, then Zeus is very responsive on his forums and should hopefully be able to give you a hand with nGlide.

Did you have any luck using dgVoodoo with 2.20a? Version-wise, nothing has changed with dgVoodoo since 2.20, but it's worth asking.

I got it to work... somehow I managed to click the right spot.

But the graphics don't look very good...

And dgVoodoo always says "Warning! Incompatible mode!", no matter what I select:

Also, dgVoodoo only shows the integrated Intel graphics, and not my nVidia graphics - as the laptop always uses the integrated Sandy-bridge graphics as long as it's not running any 3D stuff, to save power...

And it was a fresh install, and then I applied the patch, yes...

Just for interest here's my setup:

dg.jpg

Yes, it works with dgVoodoo, but it doesn't look very nice.

Looks like a typical 1996-1998 3D game... Very low resolution obviously.

From what I've read, it should look a bit more polished?

Can you tell me how to set up nGlide?

Also, why would I want to use a glide wrapper, rather than just select DirectX?

Because it allows for a higher resolution?

If so, can I also use a glide wrapper to play other older games like C&C or F22 Lightning III?

Because those refuse to run on my system without a VM because my resolution is too high...

Thanks! :-)