COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

A Glide wrapper will look like whatever your PC can support, but no matter what it will be processing a 1996-1998 image and translating it to D3D or OpenGL. In this case, nGlide is no different than dgVoodoo, though you are likely to get better performance at higher resolutions with nGlide.

for D3D vs. Glide, that's a personal decision. There is a native 1024x768 D3D version, and the Glide version will scale to your wrapper but the source image will still be 800x600. There is a document in the pulldowns of the References menu (References->Additional ADF/TAW References->Glide/D3D Decision Aid) that outlines the positives and negatives of each.

For other programs, they actually need to use Glide in order to use a Glide wrapper. C&C does not, and I'm not sure about Lightning 3. You can check out the nGlide website to see what games are known to work with it, and this will be a pretty good barometer of games that are Glide compatible.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey there. I had a similar problem last week, but apparently it doesn't happen to everyone. Try accessing the downloads through a proxy like this one http://eu.smarthide.com/ Don't forget to ch

Posted Images

Home Fries, first let me thank you for continuing your support and improvement of this fine game. I downloaded, but haven't installed, the 2.21 patch yet, so I don't know if there is a readme on what the patch does/doesn't do. I wanted to ask if it will have any negative effect on my in-process campaign.

Spec

Spec,

The readme is in the patch itself. The only campaign you have to worry about is Operation: Avenging Scimitar (the custom level 5 campaign); if you already have that running, you will need to start over. Any other campaign is fine.

BTW, if you do have Avenging Scimitar running, it's still in your best interests to install the patch and restart the campaign; the update fixes some bugs with the original.

Yes, it works with dgVoodoo, but it doesn't look very nice.

Looks like a typical 1996-1998 3D game... Very low resolution obviously.

From what I've read, it should look a bit more polished?

Can you tell me how to set up nGlide?

Also, why would I want to use a glide wrapper, rather than just select DirectX?

Because it allows for a higher resolution?

If so, can I also use a glide wrapper to play other older games like C&C or F22 Lightning III?

Because those refuse to run on my system without a VM because my resolution is too high...

Thanks! :-)

In defence of dgVoodoo, it this best look for me: great colours, sharper outline, snow on the mountains ......

As late as yesterday, I had to reinstall TAW2.0. Something about having previous beta installations with the Launcher open ...... a definite no no. :lol:

I couldn't get the graphics right: the building weren't sharp in outline, things were all fuzzy.. I check my dgVoodoo setting and found I had Glide Resolution set to 800 x 600. Change it to 1600 x 1200 and ........ :thumbsup:

Thanks, Home Fries. I'm currently in the fourth campaign, so it shouldn't be a problem. My daughter's boyfriend sent me a computer after his recent new build and I attempted to upgrade by moving my SATA drives to it for a performance boost. However, since it's a different mobo, it didn't play nicely so after fighting with it for a few hours I put the drives back into my older PC so I can at least play and do things. Unfortunately, I had been in the middle of the third campaign and it will no longer load to allow resumption of the action, so I moved on to the next one rather than restart it. One thing I might mention, a couple of times the mission list offered a long range interdiction, but every time I selected it, I got an error message and it shutdown TAW. I didn't copy the particulars of the error, but it seems to play all the other mission formats without an issue.

Guess even on vacation you can't get away from work HF! :P , questions to be answered!.....well i must say after installing the 2.21 patch TAW seems to be running a lot smoother on my old laptop, i know about the draw distance been changed back to 1998 default but i think its more than that!, whatever 'has' changed, its running a hell of a lot smoother on my old laptop. :thumbsup:

Hi Red,

Actually, due to the time zone change, I was up at 4:30am local, so I figured I would just check up. Too early for the beach anyway.

The smoothness should be due entirely to the "new" old objects. I'm not sure why (I wasn't modding TAW until a few years ago), but that's the only thing that has changed regarding in-game play.

Hi Red,

Actually, due to the time zone change, I was up at 4:30am local, so I figured I would just check up. Too early for the beach anyway.

The smoothness should be due entirely to the "new" old objects. I'm not sure why (I wasn't modding TAW until a few years ago), but that's the only thing that has changed regarding in-game play.

Oh by the way HF we WANT Pics of some Lovely Hawaiian Girls.. ;)

Hope things are going well..Hows the weather??

WX is great, but so far ixnay on the irls-gay. Tons of retirees, though. :(

I'll keep my eyes out, though. Also, if the Mrs catches me taking a photo I'll just tell them that I'm taking one for the team. :thumbsup:

:lol:

hello folks!

Thank you very much for this thread! I played the first version of F-22 Total Air war when I was a child. I got it from a CD with many games on it, enclosed in a german computer magazine.

I tried very hard but I could never run that game on Windows Xp or Vista. Now I found this board - marvellous.

So I got 4 .exes:

TAW_220_Install

TAW_221_Patch

TFX_Soundtrack_MT32_for_TAW20

TFX_Soundtrack_SB16_for_TAW20

But I have been trying hard. An error occurs and I don't know what to do:

First of all, I can open _f22.exe but then my OS ( Win 7 64 bit) tells me:

( I am sorry, it might not be the original text as I translate it from German to English)

"The color scheme has been changed. The following program perfomed an action that requires a temporary change of the color scheme in "Windows7-Basis. The Color scheme will be reseted to 'Windows Aero' automatically when the program is closed".

This is just a small message at the buttom on the right but the game starts. I can chose my pilot name and my call sign. But all of a sudden the game crashes and I am told:

READCOLS ERROR: Unable to open '.\colours\1000pal.col'

Nevertheless I found the file in C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0\MODS\zz_Nostalgia Mod - Relive the 1998 TAW\colours

I also tried just installing the TAW_220_Install.exe without patch and also installing the TAW_220_Install.exe without Soundtracks. I also tried choosing "older Direct X versions" than choosing "Direct X 9" at the beginning of installation.

Anyone got an idea? I would highly appreciate any help. Thank you!

Best regard out of cold Germany

Joe

hello folks!

Thank you very much for this thread! I played the first version of F-22 Total Air war when I was a child. I got it from a CD with many games on it, enclosed in a german computer magazine.

I tried very hard but I could never run that game on Windows Xp or Vista. Now I found this board - marvellous.

So I got 4 .exes:

TAW_220_Install

TAW_221_Patch

TFX_Soundtrack_MT32_for_TAW20

TFX_Soundtrack_SB16_for_TAW20

But I have been trying hard. An error occurs and I don't know what to do:

First of all, I can open _f22.exe but then my OS ( Win 7 64 bit) tells me:

( I am sorry, it might not be the original text as I translate it from German to English)

"The color scheme has been changed. The following program perfomed an action that requires a temporary change of the color scheme in "Windows7-Basis. The Color scheme will be reseted to 'Windows Aero' automatically when the program is closed".

This is just a small message at the buttom on the right but the game starts. I can chose my pilot name and my call sign. But all of a sudden the game crashes and I am told:

Nevertheless I found the file in C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0\MODS\zz_Nostalgia Mod - Relive the 1998 TAW\colours

I also tried just installing the TAW_220_Install.exe without patch and also installing the TAW_220_Install.exe without Soundtracks. I also tried choosing "older Direct X versions" than choosing "Direct X 9" at the beginning of installation.

Anyone got an idea? I would highly appreciate any help. Thank you!

Joe

Moin moin! Grüsse aus der Schweiz! ^^

(Greetings from Switzerland!)

It seems I remember seeing that error message recently.....

Link:

See if that helps at all?

(Also mind: ANY file from the MODS folder should only be installed using JoneSoft's 'Generic Mod Enabler'. You can get the latest version here. Don't try to extract/unpack things from the MODS folder yourself, as the GME also does checks and backs up files etc that save a lot of trouble! Only run the Mod Enabler from the Launcher Menu by clicking on the left sidepanel on 'Customization, Mods and Music' then the top entry on the left will now be GME.)

If you get a 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' error upon trying to get to the 'Customization, Mods and Music' screen, you can find it zipped here: ".../!ADP/utilities/VB_Runtime/MSCOMCTL.exe" Extract it to the main game directory.

----

If the linked thread doesn't help, I have mentioned below some options I choose for the installation..

----

Also there is quite a bit of documentation in the 'References' panel accessible from the left sidepanel in the launcher. The top left manual 'TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum' might be worth a short browse if you are already familiar with TAW.

For installation options (I'm also with Win 7 64bit), I would recommend 220 Install first (DirectX 9) then run the launcher once, configure the Glide Wrapper and run the game once. Then if all works well exit the game, Patch it with the latest 221_Patch and the soundtrack files.

One thing that helps with FPS when using dgVoodoo: make sure the option 'Closer to real hardware' is unticked.

HOW to configure the Glide Wrapper: Run launcher. Select on the left: 'Graphics and Application Configuration', in that panel select 'dgVoodoo Glide Wrapper', then 'Configure Glide Wrapper to the left of that.

Options on the 1st page that I have are: DX9, 32 bit, Full screen. 2nd page: Optimal is selected, and selections/ticks are only at: Force trilinear mipmapping, Enable LFB access, Use hardware cache buffers when possible, Use fastwrite for unmatching formats. Colorkeying is automatic, Texture mem size is 65536 kB, Resolution is up to you and your monitor specs. Same as Monitor Freq i have at default. Gamma correction is left at 100%. Miscellanneous: Force tripple buffering, Use hardware vertex buffers, Enable Glide-gammaramp.

Once configured, click on 'OK' in the dgVoodoo configurator, and 'Save Settings' in the launcher. Then the green arrow in the bottom left to navigate back to the main launcher view.. (Click on the F22 to launch!)

Hope that helps! Cheers!!!

hello folks!

Thank you!

Joe

Hi Joe. Welcome to TAW2.0 from a "warm" Australia. 40'C where I am (Melbourne) the other day. :)

Wie Gehts, Joe,

It sounds like you're running _f22.exe without having run the TAW 2.0 Launcher (tawmenu.exe). At least for the first time, this will cause the error you describe. Simply put, the Glide and D3D versions use different color files, so you need to run the launcher and choose your EXE version prior to running TAW.

I recommend using the TAW 2.0 Launcher in lieu of running _f22.exe directly because of what it adds even if you don't use all of the customization or mod features. It keeps things simple and integrates other nice features, including the NVG Tool that Eagle Flight wrote (which allows you to toggle night vision while zoomed into a display screen).

Like Eagle Flight said, you will want do everything from MODS using Generic Mod Enabler. If you click on it in the launcher, it will prompt you to download it for free from its website. As long as you only copied the 1000pal.col, you can just run the launcher once and everything will be fixed. However, if you copied other files from the Nostalgia Mod, you will want to reinstall TAW 2.20.

Also, you can install TAW 2.20, then 2.21 without any problems with the launcher or files.

Finally, this "error" is actually deliberate. I set the compatibility flag in the _f22.exe to read "disable desktop composition", which reverts the desktop to Windows XP design. This fixes a few bugs you might otherwise see on the TAW main menu, and may actually increase the performance of TAW as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Total Air War 2.21 Released

Not loading properly on my box.

I can download it fine, the links work. The page is just not recognizing forum tags properly?? like the [ media] [ /media] tag used to embedd the ytube vid now it doesn't, same for all those pictures and links etc in that first post..

promo vid:

download links:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20592605/TAW_220_Install_exe

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21191216/TAW_221_Patch.exe

just incase you cannot spot them in the jargon on the first post :)