COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

Home Fries

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but it's a lot of work and I reckon that anyone with the C++ skills (which certainly isn't me) to forge a version of TAW out of Flightgear would probably be better off using an engine like the cheap Leadwerks or the free Delta3D.

You've raised a good point about Win8. We're already seeing problems running early Windows games on Vista/Win7, and I'm sure the situation will get worse with Win8.

Based on my gaming experience, I did not have as much problems when running 90's games that use OpenGL as much as DirectX, maybe switching from directx to OpenGL (at least to 1.5) would be a good change, I also heard that it was easier to program, it's better than switching to another game engine, redesigning everything and we could be freed from 3dfx emulators and the vintage 3dfx and, that would be an advantage because if any programmer faces a problem in OpenGL, he could ask anyone who understands OpenGL, and these people in my opinion are more than the people who understand 3dfx.

Actually, I think we're OK for 3dfx games which used the Glide API since there are Glide wrappers under active development, plus a couple of open source wrappers targeting OpenGL and DirectX9.

What we need is an independent wrapper to convert early DirectX to DirectX9.0c.

One nice thing about TAW being written for a Voodoo 2 (which was an add-on 3D card as opposed to an integrated 3D card like we have now) is that the menus were designed for use with a standard 2D card, and therefore don't require DirectX compatibility. The 2D menus are all text files with PCX graphics, which should survive with any foreseeable version of Windows (unless MS completely goes off the reservation, albeit this is not unprecedented). This is why TAW has more longevity than some newer sims, whose menus have artifacts in later versions of Windows.

Mikew is also correct in that the biggest hurdle is Glide, for which there are already OpenGL and D3D9 options available. Two of the D3D wrappers are included with TAW 2.0, and nGlide has full and current support of its developer.

So far, the only real incompatibilities we came across are Midi sound (fixed, and can also be turned off), TrueSpeech codec (7/Vista version included with TAW 2.0, though this could be an issue in the future which we are addressing), Redbook audio (not critical, and would require the original CD anyway), and the old Windows HLP file format, which we will have until Windows terminates compatibility updates. Even then, the helpfile isn't critical.

Of course, we may lose multiplayer if backwards compatibility for DirectPlay is removed (the DirectPlay SDK was removed for Vista and later), and the Direct3D version may suffer more if we lose D3D5 backwards compatibility. However, the Glide version will live for as long as we have Glide wrappers compatible with the latest version of Windows.

Speaking of multiplayer, I also have issues with it, I can't find any online game at anytime. Can someone help me with this issue?

There are a couple of possible reasons for this.

First, there is no master game server or hyperlobby compatibilty with TAW. There is only peer-to-peer joining. Unless you are looking for a game on the same LAN, you must enter an IP address at which TAW will scan for MP hosts. Generally, coordination is required, so being on the same Teamspeak channel prior to flight is a good idea. Check out our semi-weekly fly-ins if you want to join an active group.

Second, you need to have the proper ports opened and both _f22.exe and DID.dat open in your firewall. Again, the same thread provides generic instructions on how to do this.

Hope this helps.

I never thought they would reject my birthday, I mean what am I trying to open? "How enter the refuel tube to the aircraft"

You're welcome to use mine: 22/04/40. :P Unfortunately its real for me ..... :(

Ok, so I have the account, and I know how to open a channel, so I will have to open TAW2 multiplayer and host a game using internet connection and that's it?

Well you would have to have SOMEONE JOIN your Server.. We have regulatr flyins where you are most welcome to fly with us just let us know which day and time works best for you if you are unable to make the flyin days??

I am around the most so let us know Ill see If I can be avaialble to get you running a MP Game..

I am available anytime especially after 18:00 GMT, and I know I need someone to join the server, plus it's called multiplayer it's completely obvious to me to know I need another player, I 'm just asking that is that all.

I am available anytime especially after 18:00 GMT, and I know I need someone to join the server, plus it's called multiplayer it's completely obvious to me to know I need another player, I 'm just asking that is that all.

Neph was not insulting your intelligence. What he meant is that there is no master server list like gamespy where you can just find an open server, or start a server and have people join. It requires coordination. Coordinate a test time in advance, and meet up on a teamspeak server to work out the details at that time. BTW, Neph also has his own TS3 server (listed in the multiplayer post) if SimHQ is giving you issues.

Neph was not insulting your intelligence.

This applies to everybody here. We just try to help. :) Well ........ they pick on this Aussie sometimes. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All..

im new here. many thx for people whom create this awesome games n create the mod to make this game more awesomeest :P

especialy for HF . thx for ur hard work n ur service,, i create this account just for say thx n greeting from my friend..

btw little asking from me,,

im lilttle bit confuse about graphic application configuration.

what is voodoo glide wrapper for??

and what is the best configuration for best visual or best graphic?

many thx from me.and apologize for my bad english,,

im from indonesia,

:)

Hi, we're all glad of your excitement about this project.

You can consider voodoo glide wrapper is an application that helps old games have better graphics than the directx

I recommend you use the nGlide and configure it for your screen resolution.

Hi, we're all glad of your excitement about this project.

You can consider voodoo glide wrapper is an application that helps old games have better graphics than the directx

I recommend you use the nGlide and configure it for your screen resolution.

emm.. so i can say is voodoo glide is an application to improve graphic, right??

btw thx for you answer, i am really appreciated that :)

In a word, yes, though it goes deeper than that.

The original F-22 ADF (and TAW) was written for the 3DFX Voodoo card, which was the original 3D video card. Before Direct3D, it used an API called Glide. Since 3DFX is no more, people who no longer have Voodoo cards need to use Glide wrappers, which use software to emulate Glide functions.

TAW also directly supports Direct3D, but the game runs in Direct3D 5. Since we're up to Direct3D9 (D3D11 if you run Win7), there are some reverse compatibility issues. Ironically, since Glide is no more, a Glide wrapper needs only account for two previous versions and specific video cards. Therefore, backwards compatibility is less of an issue, and the Glide version of TAW actually looks better than its Direct3D counterpart.

I second Mustafa's recommendation that you use nGlide. It is newer and faster than dgVoodoo with equivalent quality. As for which setting syou recommend, dgVoodoo settings are at what they should be. The only thing you need to set is whether your videocard supports Direct3D9 or Direct3D7 (if it supports D3D9, select D3D9), and optionally if you would like to change the display resolution or refresh. Instructions on how to set up the Glide wrappers is also in the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum, which can be found from the Help menu on the TAW 2.0 Launcher.