COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

Home Fries

Hi guys!
I am not I a maniac, played in 2000, and is now remembered decided to look and was shocked that the game is alive and has so many fans) Wow! It would be desirable for the nostalgia, can anyone have the installation share this wonderful game! Of course in your private messages. Thank you very much in advance!

Hi guys!
I found this great forum and has re-emerged the desire to play again with Total Air War! :)
l know .. times have changed and the perfect hardware compatibility is not always possible to find an easy solution. I would submit to you  this strange thing on my notebook (i3 with intel HD graphic and nvidia GT540M - 800x600), as if I had a double HUD..can someone help me? thanksss in advance

1a.jpg.de7733d6f6b6b76f91e8ba5363b66ff0.

3.jpg

2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

All i have to say is that taw rulez and thanks to homefries for his improvements! But at the moment taw has no future goals? It will be the perfect sim with implementation of russian weapons,no infinite enemies and possibility to fly any plane in awacs section...i just discovered that you can refuel with drogue if you fly with tornados or other planes that use that sistem

I've just finished a campaign and experienced no crashes at all. I remember the game used to crash often when it first came out, and I put the improvement down to a more stable operating system and much more powerful hardware.

The machine that I played the campaign on is a 5 year old i7 with Win7. Graphics card is a Nvidia GTX590 and the game run with the dgVoodoo Glide wrapper at 2560x1600.

39 minutes ago, RUNRUN said:

it's me or the game often crash

We need more information to determine the cause of the problem.  Are you running the Glide version, the D3D 800x600 version, or the D3D 1024x768 version?  Are you using the 32 bit EXE (i.e. the TrackIR capable EXE)?  If Glide, which glide wrapper.  Is the crash in the menu or in the 3D portion of the game?  What do you do when the crash happens? 

Also, post the contents of c:\f22.$$$ so we can help figure it out.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I was unable to find the hex-value to stop the CTD when using the smart views, this one

005BF783 668B0447 mov ax, word ptr [edi+2*eax]

Yet I was able to edit f22.dat to remove the 'wide' label. It is not a big deal, but I was just wondering if anyone else was able to hex edit the f22 dat file.

I would like to add that I never played this game until I stumbled on this thread while looking for old flight sims this week. This is exactly what I was looking for, and more. Incredible. I am very impressed with this game and I really appreciate the efforts to keep it alive, I think this game deserves a lot more recognition. I already have the basics down, have read the manual and was just going over a few of the settings.

Hi, I have thoroughly enjoyed playing TAW previously, including V2.22 which was excellent. A disk crash later ...and I'm rebuilding everything but have noticed that v2.3 is reported by AV software as containing Artemis! trojan.  it would be great if you could scan and upload a clean version. Cheers.

On 5/18/2016 at 7:07 AM, HowCanThisBe said:

Hi, I have thoroughly enjoyed playing TAW previously, including V2.22 which was excellent. A disk crash later ...and I'm rebuilding everything but have noticed that v2.3 is reported by AV software as containing Artemis! trojan.  it would be great if you could scan and upload a clean version. Cheers.

I just downloaded TAW 2.30 from the Google Drive link onto a new PC that has never had TAW or any of my development files on it, and I scanned the file with SEP 12.  SEP didn't find anything.  Since Armetis! has been around since early 2010, I'm confident that SEP (the program used by DoD end users) would have found it.

One of the programs included with TAW 2.0 is NVGTool, which was built with a game cheat tool and performs virus like behavior (e.g. substitutes values in RAM registers), so you are likely getting a false positive.  One thing you can do if you still have v2.22 is run that through your virus scanner and see if that triggers the same result.  NVGTool hasn't changed since its original build.  Also note that if your antivirus quarantines NVGTool upon install, you don't actually need it to play the game.  Just go into the configuration menu and disable the NVGTool checkbox.  Or you can create an exception with your antivirus as well.

Here's info on Armetis! from the McAfee website.  You can always click on the Virus Characteristics tab, then check your registry and see if any of the entries match your own.

Hope this helps.

On 5/13/2016 at 10:44 AM, vare said:

Hello

I was unable to find the hex-value to stop the CTD when using the smart views, this one

005BF783 668B0447 mov ax, word ptr [edi+2*eax]

Yet I was able to edit f22.dat to remove the 'wide' label. It is not a big deal, but I was just wondering if anyone else was able to hex edit the f22 dat file.

I would like to add that I never played this game until I stumbled on this thread while looking for old flight sims this week. This is exactly what I was looking for, and more. Incredible. I am very impressed with this game and I really appreciate the efforts to keep it alive, I think this game deserves a lot more recognition. I already have the basics down, have read the manual and was just going over a few of the settings.

vare,

Welcome!

It has been some time ago that I tried the smart views hack, which is a NOP edit IIRC, never found success with that one, however, the 'wide' label edit did work for me.

If you have any questions, just ask, someone will have an answer eventually.

That does help DrKevDog, thank-you. I am not too worried about the smart views.

Just so others know, I have found that with an nvidia graphics card you can choose the 'nglide' wrapper and have better graphics, even enabling sweetFX.

OR

You can choose the 'dgvoodoo' wrapper and have smart-views working fine but you will have the less nice/lower res graphics.

I am very lucky to have stumbled upon this, this game is all I play at the moment lol. It is a sim, but it is easy to learn and is combat oriented. My fav experience so far is having an excess of maverick missiles against a small number of ground targets; I thought "may as well use them all". It was great.

• 2 weeks later...

The game detects all my joystick buttons in the settings window, but it doesn't seem that you can change the button mappings. I can't select or cycle targets with my joystick, does anyone know if there is any way to customize your joystick mappings...

I think the manual mentioned a separate exe, but I can't find it in the game folder.

Thanks.

On 5/21/2016 at 2:13 AM, vare said:

That does help DrKevDog, thank-you. I am not too worried about the smart views.

Just so others know, I have found that with an nvidia graphics card you can choose the 'nglide' wrapper and have better graphics, even enabling sweetFX.

OR

You can choose the 'dgvoodoo' wrapper and have smart-views working fine but you will have the less nice/lower res graphics.

I am very lucky to have stumbled upon this, this game is all I play at the moment lol. It is a sim, but it is easy to learn and is combat oriented. My fav experience so far is having an excess of maverick missiles against a small number of ground targets; I thought "may as well use them all". It was great.

There's a third option.  Zeus, the author of nGlide, helped me to hex edit the 32 bit Glide EXE to fix SmartView with nGlide.  As long as you select the 32 bit EXE, your chances of a CTD on SmartView is minimized (though I can't promise it's eliminated).  I deliberately left the original 16 bit Glide EXE untouched in this regard just to be sure the edit wouldn't cause any problems with legacy systems.

Also, just to clarify, you don't actually need an nVidia card to use nGlide; despite the name, nGlide works just fine with AMD cards as well. Additionally, while SweetFX is enabled in the menu when you select nGlide, this does not mean that SweetFX is incompatible with the DX9 dgVoodoo.  I just forced nGlide for SweetFX integration because nGlide is still supported and  I could count on feedback from Zeus if you guys reported any problems.  But if you use dgVoodoo (DX9 only), you're welcome to install SweetFX via GME, then apply your own config files.

52 minutes ago, vare said:

The game detects all my joystick buttons in the settings window, but it doesn't seem that you can change the button mappings. I can't select or cycle targets with my joystick, does anyone know if there is any way to customize your joystick mappings...

I think the manual mentioned a separate exe, but I can't find it in the game folder.

Thanks.

There is no way to change any controller mappings in TAW itself.  The best you can do is use a programmable stick and assign keyboard assignments to the extra buttons.  Likewise, if you have separate USB stick/rudder/throttle items (like CH or Thrustmaster Warthog), you will need to program them a s a single virtual controller, as TAW sees only the first controller connected.

• 3 weeks later...

I even managed to solve a nagging problem regarding TAW only reading the first joystick on the game controllers menu. (JoyId program was a no joy - pun intended :P ). Downloaded devmanview.exe from Nirsoft and created a very simple batch file to automate everything. The same one I'm using for USAF. Granted, no rudder control from my pedals but better than having to use toe breaks as pitch and roll control haha! Even tried using vJoy, but had no luck. 

This will execute the launcher, turn off whatever joystick you want off, and when you are done playing and close the launcher, the joystick will be re-enabled. 

Download this nifty little program, and place it on the same place as the batch file (create a text, and rename it .bat for those who don't know): http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

Then modify: "JOYSTICK NAME AS IS ON DEVMANVIEW" ---(Keep the quotes!) With the name as is on the devmanview.exe of your joystick. Right clicking, selecting properties and copying "Device name:" should do the trick. 
Then modify  "INSTALL LOCATION OF TAW 2.0" to the location where you installed TAW2.0, remember to keep the quotes! ""

@echo off
echo *** Disabling joystick
timeout /t 2 /nobreak >nul
devmanview.exe /disable "JOYSTICK NAME AS IS ON DEVMANVIEW" 
echo.
Echo ***Starting F-22 TAW Menu 
start "" /wait /d "INSTALL LOCATION OF TAW 2.0" tawmenu.exe
echo *** Re-nabling Joystick
devmanview.exe /enable "JOYSTICK NAME AS IS ON DEVMANVIEW" 
echo.

Let me see if I got this correct:

I am supposed to go to a strange website, and download a strange program which will do strange things to my stable and priceless copy of TAW 2.0, ,and that based solely on the advise of someone, who is a complete stranger and goes by the name of "DrStrangePool"...?

am I missing something?

PS: are you planning to take over the world?

The NirSoft website may be stuck in the late 1990s, but their software is usually pretty solid. I use some of the tools once in a while and they turned out to be good solutions for very specific problems. Consider his copy of TAW 2.0 is not *that* priceless and stable because it doesn't use the joystick he wants.

For changing the default joystick, though, shouldn't it be sufficient to use Windows’ “Game Controllers” control panel? From my DirectInput reverse engineering days, I remember TAW picking the default joystick from there.

2 hours ago, Krycztij said:

The NirSoft website may be stuck in the late 1990s, but their software is usually pretty solid. I use some of the tools once in a while and they turned out to be good solutions for very specific problems. Consider his copy of TAW 2.0 is not *that* priceless and stable because it doesn't use the joystick he wants.

For changing the default joystick, though, shouldn't it be sufficient to use Windows’ “Game Controllers” control panel? From my DirectInput reverse engineering days, I remember TAW picking the default joystick from there.

I also tried doing that, setting it up as default(clicking on "advanced" tab), but it refuses to take the default joystick and only uses the first joystick on the list, no matter what I do. I also tried using JoyID, to switch Joystick order, but it just an alternative to using the game controller defaults. This led me to use devmanview to do this automatically, because I found myself forgetting to disable it, and scrolling through the other devices was arduous. In other words, laziness pays off :P

And if anyone is interested, I use http://launcher.nirsoft.net, keeps all the software and description in one place. Really useful for troubleshooting problems and other things. Using Nirsoft software has been a real lifesaver for me. 

5 hours ago, DrKevDog said:

Let me see if I got this correct:

I am supposed to go to a strange website, and download a strange program which will do strange things to my stable and priceless copy of TAW 2.0, ,and that based solely on the advise of someone, who is a complete stranger and goes by the name of "DrStrangePool"...?

am I missing something?

PS: are you planning to take over the world?

Maybe the screenshot below can explain better the problem I was facing. This happened to USAF as well. 

Untgfgdgfditled.png

Sorry I'm late to the party, fellas.  I've been up to my eyeballs in a term paper.  That said, I will vouch for Dr. Strangepool as well. He and I were exchanging posts on another forum regarding another subject, and I believe it was that exchange that brought him here to share his wisdom.

Welcome to Combatsim, Dr. Strangepool!  :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, DrKevDog said:

Apparently you have found a solution to a legitimate problem, and if Krycztij will vouch for you, you're probably not plotting to overthrow the world and are very welcome here.

Thanks for the software links, looks like some quite useful tools there...

Hahahaha Thank you. And this works for other games where they read joystick signals but won't allow us to turn them off like "planet Explorers" and "Iron Brigade". And venturing to the back of my pc to do this every time I wanted to play something was also annoying to put it mildly! Hahahaha :P

3 hours ago, Home Fries said:

Sorry I'm late to the party, fellas.  I've been up to my eyeballs in a term paper.  That said, I will vouch for Dr. Strangepool as well. He and I were exchanging posts on another forum regarding another subject, and I believe it was that exchange that brought him here to share his wisdom.

Welcome to Combatsim, Dr. Strangepool!  :thumbsup:

Get that term paper finished, priorities! Thanks to you, and your team I get to enjoy two simulators on my adulthood that I initially couldn't when younger(lack of money, school...). 
And while I tried to sort this problem I did do a search on the forum looking for a solution and I found someone else having the same problem. This is what led me to share my workaround. A very tiny contribution on my part for the hours of enjoyment I already got with the community fixed and modded TAW and EF2000.

Thank you for the vouching, the welcome and again, and always, for TAW and EF2000 B):thumbsup:

On 4/6/2015 at 3:10 PM, Lord Meldrum said:

Thank you for the fast answer. Since I am an autosim fan too, I left my Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia plugged in.
I just pulled it out, and then the game started. Now running the game with keyboard, but I am planning to get and old sound card with gameport, and run the game with my 12 years old Saitek ST50. :D Now everything is clear, I tried ADF with my wheel earlier just for fun, and did not have anything to control the Y axis.
I would have never thought, that pulling out my racing wheel will solve the problem. Thank you very very much for your answer. Now I can see from the first training mission (take off), that this game has awesome graphics, going to spend hours with that in future. :)