COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

Home Fries

1 hour ago, DrStrangepool said:

Thanks to you, and your team I get to enjoy two simulators on my adulthood that I initially couldn't when younger(lack of money, school...).

Sort of how it was with me.  When EF2000 came out I was an undergrad, still sporting the bleeding edge 286-12, though I had finally upgraded from EGA to VGA so I could enjoy Falcon 3.0 and its ilk.  When I started making money is when I got to flight school, and by that time I was spending more time with FS51 as a procedural trainer to even think about a new sim.  I had heard about it, though.

When I was in an operational squadron, I "supported the industry", which is to say I picked up the titles but didn't have time to learn them.  I got ADF and EF2000 and was supposed to get a CompUSA rebate, but those clowns were blowing smoke (as I learned later was fairly common practice with them), but regardless of the rebate jacking and the lack of time, it turned out to become one of my best purchases.  That said, I didn't get full-bore into them until after 2000 (when I finally had time), but by then i had moved beyond Windows 98 to XP and that put the kibosh on the EF2000 with 3DFX.

So I completely get where you're coming from.  My first real experience with EF2000 (beyond quick combat) was after mikew wrote the DOSBox engine that is part of EF2000 Reloaded.

On 6/21/2016 at 6:36 PM, Home Fries said:

Sort of how it was with me.  When EF2000 came out I was an undergrad, still sporting the bleeding edge 286-12, though I had finally upgraded from EGA to VGA so I could enjoy Falcon 3.0 and its ilk.  When I started making money is when I got to flight school, and by that time I was spending more time with FS51 as a procedural trainer to even think about a new sim.  I had heard about it, though.

When I was in an operational squadron, I "supported the industry", which is to say I picked up the titles but didn't have time to learn them.  I got ADF and EF2000 and was supposed to get a CompUSA rebate, but those clowns were blowing smoke (as I learned later was fairly common practice with them), but regardless of the rebate jacking and the lack of time, it turned out to become one of my best purchases.  That said, I didn't get full-bore into them until after 2000 (when I finally had time), but by then i had moved beyond Windows 98 to XP and that put the kibosh on the EF2000 with 3DFX.

So I completely get where you're coming from.  My first real experience with EF2000 (beyond quick combat) was after mikew wrote the DOSBox engine that is part of EF2000 Reloaded.

Fascinating! Our lives managed to make us miss the golden age of simulators. To go into more detail, we could afford a computer by 1998, and the first simulator I ever got for PC was Combat Flight Simulator, followed by FS98 while still playing the Novalogic F-16 demo I got from a games magazine. Remember that the enemy planes were all B-2's? hahaha In one of those cases, I remember thinking "weird, I thought B-2's didn't have guns. Oh well, I'll be able to autorun them by climbing on my F-16." Only to later yell, "How is he going faster than me?!". Later on I found out that the demo multiplayer replaced the F-16's with B-2's.  Later on I eventually managed to get from my dad FS2k when released, and I even got my allowance to buy me the Falcon 4.0 box. Gosh, I miss those manuals! 

By time I finally made some money by myself, it was in 2008, and I started to buy the old boxes of the simulators I missed. I even managed to find a USAF and Jane's F-18 box still unopened! I then bought TAW and EF2000 :)  a few weeks later, with DI Super Hornet(never managed to make this one run properly, or reliably)... The rest is history. 

Remembering all this made me crave F-22 TAW, time to fly and hope I don't get shot down by doing something stupid. :) Thank you so much, again, for giving a piece of my childhood I missed back! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,
I just changed my PC so reinstalling, I am with Win 10 per bond with the new hardware
:(
Everything is fine with TAW except when I use the software "target" with my HOTAS Warthog, I have no rudder with keyboard or with programmed HOTAS.
Without "target", the keyboard responds.
One idea for this strange problem
:huh:

2 hours ago, lipy said:

Hi everybody,
I just changed my PC so reinstalling, I am with Win 10 per bond with the new hardware
:(
Everything is fine with TAW except when I use the software "target" with my HOTAS Warthog, I have no rudder with keyboard or with programmed HOTAS.
Without "target", the keyboard responds.
One idea for this strange problem
:huh:

I'll look into it.  Since you reinstalled, I assume you're using version 3.0.16.520 of the TARGET software.

If this is the case, then change line 35 in the Total Air War.tmc from

include "Common/target.tmh"		//improved target.tmh by Nicu

to

include "target.tmh"

i.e. just remove "Common/".  This will point to the newer version of the TARGET header rather than the custom one for an earlier version.

12 minutes ago, lipy said:

If it's my target profil,it's .fcf not .tmc

Is fcf the extension if you create your own profile using the GUI?  I thought you were using my TARGET profile.

Check it out in the F-22 Total Air War 2.0\!ADP\utilities\Controller_Settings folder.  It makes use of the MFDs as well.  You will still want to make the change I recommended, though.

42 minutes ago, lipy said:

Ok, I found it, but I'm not a genius, where I place these files?
With the GUI, everything is done alone .....
:P

You can put the file where you want it; you just need to open the script editor and find it.  I keep my scripts in a folder completely separate from the TARGET software.

Big takeaway is that you need to extract everything with recursive folders.  Total Air War.tmc is but one file, and it calls other files in the TAW and Common folders.  See the Installation Guide for details.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/2/2016 at 9:24 AM, mawerik said:

Hi guys!
I found this great forum and has re-emerged the desire to play again with Total Air War! :)
l know .. times have changed and the perfect hardware compatibility is not always possible to find an easy solution. I would submit to you  this strange thing on my notebook (i3 with intel HD graphic and nvidia GT540M - 800x600), as if I had a double HUD..can someone help me? thanksss in advance

1a.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Sorry for autoquote, but during this months I haven't find any solution..  :wacko::(

Someone can help me  suggesting something to do or to try?

thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 8:58 AM, mikew said:

What graphics mode are you playing in? D3D or Glide?

If it's Glide, then I'd suggest a different wrapper...or switch to Glide if you're running D3D.

Thanks for your reply,

the sceenshoot are from D3D mode, but in glide mode is the same or sometimes the hud is correct but the games  seems to have 256 colors..:(

Hi guys,

Don't know if this may have been answered already, but I dare to ask it here! How can I make this brilliant sim that I've been playing since 1999 on Win 10 64 bit now? I've installed the latest version 2.3 and also the Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5 and everything seems ok as I enter the game's menu and everything else except when I load any mission to fly, including seeing the TAW DEMO because when I do so, the well known "F22.dat has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution..." error occurs and I have no Idea what to do. So this error appears only when I want to enter a mission. I've tried different compatibility variant from the "tbcp.exe" file's properties before launching it directly, and still no chance to make it work!

Thank you!

Best regards!

• 1 month later...

The launcher code in 2.30 was updated for Windows 8 which may help with Windows 10.  I haven't been able to get TAW to run in Win10, but I haven't put much effort into it either.  However, I never even get to the "f22.dat has stopped working" dialog; it just seems that I double click _f22.exe without response.  You shouldn't have to tweak tbcp.exe; that's just a bridge file for the updated mission editor; _f22.exe should be the program you look at.

I used to play TAW on WinXP 32bit and everything worked after install. (2.20, 2.21, 2.22a)

I was excited to see that the game has been updated (2.30) to more modern PC's.

My system now is a Windows 10 x64, GeForce GTX 750, 8gb ram, Intel Core i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

To date, I've not been able to get the program to run therefore for me the game is not playable. (Loads into game but gets stuck after pilot sign on.  Have to click on bottom right of display to advance to next screen (DID credits scroll)  Click twice on OK at the bottom of that screen takes me to the Options Screen.  No matter what options I select, nothing seems to hold/work.  Click twice on OK (bottom right) stops loading the game. Plays music, but nothing happens as far as the game goes.

Initial game setup graphics - tried and saved each option, none worked.

Read the Addendum 20, read me, TAW manual - gained no insight on what else to do to get the game working.

Any suggestions on what else to try?