COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

In the default game you need to earn the right to unlock those campaigns.

Where the game is installed there should be a 'cheats' folder which gives instructions on how to do it the easy way.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:14 PM, saskue137 said:

i do have intel graphics. How would i set the custom resolution? (i've never really opened it before; the intel control panel) because i would really love to get this running again

Saskue, did you fix it? I have same issue!

Hi there any chance there is a way to get this working on a Windows 10 Home (64 bit) operating system because it isn't working.

Some sort of error popping up.

Thanks

Greetings! The download links at the beginning of this thread for "F-22 Total Air War 2.30" (GameFront and Google Drive) are broken. Also, those of https://taw.fandom.com/wiki/F-22_Total_Air_War_2.0. I cannot find this game by any mean, not even in amazon or steam, so I'll try my luck here.

I've tried to find a similar comment in this thread and using the searching tool in the forum, and I haven't found it. So I am sorry if the answer is known to all of you. I'm just a newbie :)

While the GameFront link is broken, the Google Drive link seems OK to me.

What error message do you get from Google Drive? Might there be something with your OS or Browser which is preventing the download of .exe files?

Hi all, I must have played hundreds if not thousands of hours on the original TAW (still got the original game files) and I still think it's probably the best "gameplay" simulator out there so I'm amazed to find it's still alive 20 years later (so amazed that I didn't realise I'd posted in here 8 years ago I've just found 😀)!

I've just D/L'd the game and it's still just as good as I remember but one "new" thing puzzles me. From my memory, in the Original version the performance of the AIM-120C was much more accurate with a salvo of 6 getting 4-5 kills at MAX PK, yet now it's dropped to 1-2 kills. So I did a little testing and what I've found so far is that, using four targets at 12nm range, the 120C's aren't "cycling" through the target list properly despite the HUD showing that they are. So when I fire four 120C's in EMCON 5 at 12nm the 1st and 3rd aircraft are being targeted by two 120C's each and aircraft 2 and 4 are not being targeted at all despite the HUD showing that all four targets have missiles targeted (via the big X on them).

Is this something that has been changed in the game files or has this always been the case and it's my memory thats dodgy?

Other than that it's amazing to be playing this game again!!!!!!

Same here. The hours I spent on ADF then TAW in 1998/9 probably explain why it's left a lasting impression on me. :)

I don't know of any changes that could affect weapons performance, but it's possible.

What could affect it is which difficulty level you are/were playing at.

Good Point, I can't remember what I played it at back in '98 but I'll try that test again in all modes to see what I get - I'm using Learjets as my target and I find that out of 4 missiles at least 1 always "doubles up" on a target, and when I tried bigger 747's it was worse.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:46 AM, neodiox said:

Greetings! The download links at the beginning of this thread for "F-22 Total Air War 2.30" (GameFront and Google Drive) are broken.

I D/L'd this from the Google Drive link yesterday without issue, so I'd look at browser settings (ad-blocks etc).

7 hours ago, ianh said:

AIM-120C and R are both semi active radar seeking air to air missiles. Thus, they get the half of the way to target at first stage dependent on aircraft's sensors. After initial stage  is completed it locks itself to target via its own radar. One other thing about these effective missile is its ideal range is somewhere between 15 to 25/30 miles for C model (intermediate range version) and 20 to 40 miles for R model (long range version). Thus, if you trigger the missile at 12 miles assuming a heads on fight, the rival approaches to you possibly over 500 miles speed (for F-16 as aggressor in this scenario). So you are assumed to approach to him by at least 650 miles if you are prepared for a dogfight with full afterburners. This makes over a thousand miles closing in to each other which may make already close distance get under 10 miles in seconds which states AIM-9X infra red seeking missiles a more effective delivery method through IRST. I advice you to double your test range and try from 15 to 25 miles distance so that both due to high speed/high alpha/low AoA variables decrease the accuracy and lethality of the missile. I strongly advise you not to ripple or salvo but to fire all one by one and one after another in miliseconds and check the targets distance from the HUD all the time and be sure targets are not closer than effective range nor out of range (OOR). Enjoy!

The "issue" is that I remember the AMRAAM behaviour being different where 2 missiles, targeted at 2 different aircraft, wouldn't both target/hit the same plane and yet now it can/does happen more than I ever remember (although my memory could be wrong).

I am currently firing the missiles with a 1 second delay between shots (in my ACMI recording I can see that I change targets between shots) in a tail chase against targets 12km away so they're flying away from me & increasing the distance, rather than a head-on shot. I choose a Learjet for the targets as it has no DAS to interfere with the missiles.

1 hour ago, ianh said:

The "issue" is that I remember the AMRAAM behaviour being different where 2 missiles, targeted at 2 different aircraft, wouldn't both target/hit the same plane and yet now it can/does happen more than I ever remember (although my memory could be wrong).

I am currently firing the missiles with a 1 second delay between shots (in my ACMI recording I can see that I change targets between shots) in a tail chase against targets 12km away so they're flying away from me & increasing the distance, rather than a head-on shot. I choose a Learjet for the targets as it has no DAS to interfere with the missiles.

12 km. makes almost 7-8 nm and even if it is a soft target flying in the same direction with you ahead, it is still a more optimal range to fire a short range IR AA missile rather than an AMRAAM. On the other hand I checked it again to a fireball simulation ACMI on (10 Vipers against 4 Raptors fully loaded with AA ordnance all) and I have no such problem on a head to head warfare simulation. On the other hand there may exist a flaw in coding of Ripple or salvo fire modes in game. That's why I strongly advised you to manually trigger the missiles but not on Ripple or Salvo modes. I also advise you to prefer choppers as more static targets in order to have a better understanding of how it works.

Under the file given to unlock all campaign missione "CHEAT":-
 Unlock Dynamic Campaigns
use the logfile to unlock all campaigns. overwrite the "logfile.dat" file in your "players\X" folder w/ the provided one.
be warned that this will erase your original pilot record.

How do I overwrite the file?

In your F-22 Total Air War 2.0\players folder you'll see folders with number starting at 0 (up to how many players you have on the system).  Choose the folder that you want (e.g. 0 if its the only folder you have) and then just copy logfile.dat to this folder (e.g. F-22 Total Air War 2.0\players\0).

On 7/5/2019 at 11:25 PM, Home Fries said:

In your F-22 Total Air War 2.0\players folder you'll see folders with number starting at 0 (up to how many players you have on the system).  Choose the folder that you want (e.g. 0 if its the only folder you have) and then just copy logfile.dat to this folder (e.g. F-22 Total Air War 2.0\players\0).

Thanks Alot!
1) I have few problems running the game.It simply crashes and the cockpit hud display seems to be unusual(in the pic below) 
2) Apart from that how to get unlimited ammunition cheat activated.I tried activating as described in the cheat document but didn't worked out.

Screenshot (20).png

Hi Moqeeth,

It looks like you are running the D3D 1024 version of TAW.  I'm not so sure the D3D version is all that compatible with Windows 10.  You might have better luck using Glide with one of the included Glide Wrappers.

Same goes for the cheat.  Cheats work by intercepting data in specific registers.  The game and its cheats are over 20 years old, so there's no guarantee that they will work the same way in newer operating systems.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, Home Fries said:

Hi Moqeeth,

It looks like you are running the D3D 1024 version of TAW.  I'm not so sure the D3D version is all that compatible with Windows 10.  You might have better luck using Glide with one of the included Glide Wrappers.

Same goes for the cheat.  Cheats work by intercepting data in specific registers.  The game and its cheats are over 20 years old, so there's no guarantee that they will work the same way in newer operating systems.

I managed to run the game with few adjustments to glide settings and yeah still no signs of cheats working and thanks for the reply.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:50 AM, Moqeeth Khan said:

... still no signs of cheats working...

I'm not surprised.  The cheats were probably written for Windows 98, and our baseline is now 64 bit.

Ok so I gave up on getting this to run for a couple months and I installed the game again today on windows 10 and nglide v1.02. maybe i'm doing the stup wrong but when I select the nglide version, update the .exe file, put the location of the configurator in and try to run it, I get 'this program requires a 800x600 resolution but could not obtain it.'  I checked the display panel for my laptop and the lowest res it can go to is 1024x768. Anyone who has gotten it working on windows 10, can you please share how you did it? I'm at my wits end tryna get it to run...

I got it to run! I updated my drivers and set the 800x600 resolution as a custom resolution via the control panel (kinda new to the ins and outs of pcs so it took me a while to figure out). the Raptor flies again!

Hi everyone

I was a big fan of this game when it first came out . It looks amazing what you all have done with it! I have spent about an hour searching the forums trying to find some info on how to get this running with windows 10. Could anyone point me in the direction of a forum thread that may be able to help me get this sim running on a modern computer with windows 10?

It crashes once i try to start a mission.

If it crashes that that point, then it's a 3D problem I guess.

There should be a file on your C:/ drive called 'f22.$$$' that is produced when the game crashes and it can be opened in Notepad.

Hey peeps
I have got riden of the cheat problem.All you have to do is launch the game and let the loading finish.Then minimize the game and launch the Trainer +3(!adp->cheats->trainer+3->) application in the background.Then activate the given cheats in the game.