COMBATSIM Forum

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

Home Fries

• 2 weeks later...

...and having just installed TAW2.30 on a Win10 laptop without any problems, it looks like the HUD throttle indicator is supposed to look like that, with 100% on the right I guess showing the Mil power mark. The value on the left is the combined thrust of both engines.

I'm not sure if it's always been so...

• 1 month later...

That's a great thread and I recognise a lot of the commenters from other forums.

Yes, Steve Hunt seems to have been one of the key developers of TAW and I'm sure he could provide many insights into the game.
It was over 20 years ago though, so I doubt he'd be able to remember many technical details unless he sneakily took home the source code on a bunch of floppy disks.

Anyway, with the release of 'Beat Hazard 2':
https://store.steampowered.com/app/618740/Beat_Hazard_2/
...he'll be too busy counting his millions to remember what he was doing at DID. :D

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 7:37 PM, sobe said:

No matter if I use the keyboard or joystick, the right throttle is stuck at 100%.  The left throttle seems to be able to be controlled by either the [ or the ] keys.  Using Win10.  Any thoughts?

I too am having this issue while running windows 10. The game runs absolutely perfect but the right engine shows 100% no matter where throttle levers are set. but the left works fine.

I've looked a bit deeper into this, and there's not much that can be done.

The original game displayed the engine info as a single number, eg 'ENG 100%' which is a combination of both engines.

Now, Home Fries has done a great job in making the HUD more dynamic, but it's the same information that has to be worked with.

If you're interested, the HUD layout is defined by the script 'f22.hud' in the 'huddle' folder. It can be seen that there is only a single parameter, RPM, that is passed from the game engine.

• 1 month later...

This is probaly a dead thread.

I've been played this game when i was a child. And rediscovered it ~3 years ago. I really love this game and the effort put into this version. But, you guys if still active should improve the game compatibility issues. I installed this game in 3 different computers through this years. 1 Windows 7 and 2 Windows 10. All of them got some issues.

The first one on win 7 there was no sound at all even installing/reinstalling multiple times.
On the first Win 10, the HUD always started screwed up and i needed enter the big map screen to fix it
And now i've installed on my new computer and yet another problem. Now everytime i enter/exit a mission the game mutes itself  and I need manually unmute it every time.

Even so, big thanks for disponibilize this game here

The problem is that we're basically running the same executable as was released with the original game in 1998.

We've found that Win7 and Win10 somehow end up in a situation where there is no sound. It's something to do with the 'Windows Sound Mixer' but I don't understand the exact root cause.

For graphics problems, a Glide wrapper is probably the way to go.

The best we can do is try to help out with individual issues.

Hello everyone!

I have played a couple of years before this game, downloaded from this forum, and it worked very well.

I installed today the latest version (2.30) and I have a very strange issue: the keyboard is not responding...no input from any key

I also use a joystick, the Sidewinder Precision 2. I use windows 10. I can use the joystick but not the keyboard.

Am I missing something?Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance.

Strange. What keyboard are you using?

If it's a USB keyboard, then it's possible Windows 10 may be turning it off.

Try looking at the keyboard properties in Device Manager, and make sure the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' box is not ticked in the 'Power Management' tab.

24 minutes ago, mikew said:

Strange. What keyboard are you using?

If it's a USB keyboard, then it's possible Windows 10 may be turning it off.

Try looking at the keyboard properties in Device Manager, and make sure the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' box is not ticked in the 'Power Management' tab.

I am using a laptop

I don't have any good answer to this, but I'm guessing you have 'something' that is getting between the game and the keyboard driver.

...and that 'something' is likely to be software related and specific to your system.

Have you got anything else running...particularly things like Google Chrome which monitor your keystrokes?

I can't think of anything in TAW that could cause this. It's not impossible of course.

8 hours ago, mikew said:

I don't have any good answer to this, but I'm guessing you have 'something' that is getting between the game and the keyboard driver.

...and that 'something' is likely to be software related and specific to your system.

Have you got anything else running...particularly things like Google Chrome which monitor your keystrokes?

I can't think of anything in TAW that could cause this. It's not impossible of course.

Nothing is working for me on windows 10.

I tried it on virtual box with windows 7 x86 and it runs smoothly. Is there any recommendation for a virtual machine resolution optimal settings (for FHD widescreen?)?

edit-> after hours of tweaking I managed to set everything inside virtualbox. Thank you for keeping this game alive!

Same disappointing thing happens here, can't get it working inside a VM.

I runs partially, welcome screen, menu, awacs mission, acmi OK, but not the simulation plane itself.

Do you recommand windows 7 on virtualbox ?

I'm under Fedora31 and running VM windows 8 32bits.

Error Message is : DDEnterExclusiveEnv(): Failed to set display mode

Even if I set the guest and host resolution to 800x600 or even lower, I get this error.

Software used : Virtual-manager, Qemu/KVM

I'm interested about all your settings !

In VM mode, I selected ever software or hardware, but none works, hang at starting simulation.

I've tried WINE, and same OS than you, and I after the first install,

_f22.exe ; Hardware, 800x600

I can't join the simulation -> error message :

"Unable to restore frontbuffer surface. This surface can not be restored because it was created in a different mode"

_f22.exe ; Software only, 800x600

Black screen after starting simulation (train to take off)

I can switch to other virtual desktop to write this, screen resolution has changed to 800x600, meanwhile _f22 remains stucked.

I've just run it again on Fedora31 with Wine 5.3 and it seems to work fine. I'm using the dgvoodoo Glide wrapper though.

I can't remember doing anything in particular to get it working, but it was a couple of years ago when I set it up, around Fedora27 time.

This is on an Intel NUC with integrated GFX (Iris 650).

I realise that this doesn't really help you though. :(

6 hours ago, Brocoli2000 said:

Same disappointing thing happens here, can't get it working inside a VM.

I runs partially, welcome screen, menu, awacs mission, acmi OK, but not the simulation plane itself.

Do you recommand windows 7 on virtualbox ?

I'm under Fedora31 and running VM windows 8 32bits.

Error Message is : DDEnterExclusiveEnv(): Failed to set display mode

Even if I set the guest and host resolution to 800x600 or even lower, I get this error.

Software used : Virtual-manager, Qemu/KVM

I'm interested about all your settings !

I am using windows 7 32 bit.

3072MB base memory in system tab

in display tab: graphics controller->vboxsvga & 3D acceleration enabled.scale factor 100% and put the video memory in the green line.

set your computer reolution at 1280x720.

open the virtual machine and install the guest additions.set the same resolution inside the virtual machine.

finally, i use these settings:

Untitled.jpg.3b5cc5bdb2583715d997314a8b80872f.jpg

I would just like it to be a little more smoother...If someone else has better settings please share

Thank you very much,

The incredible happens !

I get it finally working, in a VM, the first time the training take off mission caused an error, but starting another mission again result in a success.

And sending me back 20 years ago, remembering keyboard shortcuts ...

For reason, the Wine version doesn't produce the expected result, but maybe tweaking can bring it back.

1 minute ago, Brocoli2000 said:

Thank you very much,

The incredible happens !

I get it finally working, in a VM, the first time the training take off mission caused an error, but starting another mission again result in a success.

And sending me back 20 years ago, remembering keyboard shortcuts ...

For reason, the Wine version doesn't produce the expected result, but maybe tweaking can bring it back.

Glad that I helped. I always had a passion for planes and this was the first game that I bought! (I still have the CD!!)

Does the game run smoothly? Mine, has a bit of lag when firing the canon and when the plane is on the ground.