COMBATSIM Forum

Dragon Rising or ArmA2?

Notice the time stamp on this post. Started playing with ArmA2 at about 22.00 (GMT) and just came up for air. Wasn't even doing the campaign or a canned mission; Went into the editor, and dropped a couple of modules (A new thing) on the map. Spent the next six hours running around the map doing missions generated on the fly with full artillery and UAV support. More than that, it feels like the original Flashpoint. Granted it doesn't run on my rig at its best, but after updating to the latest NVIDIA drivers and DX9 version, there are no more lockups.

Well, yet.

I've never had this much fun since the original Flashpoint; That says a lot. Dragon Rising's sequel has its work cut out for it, should there be such a beastie; Against this, DR just isn't in the contest.

Have to strongly agree with you about Dragon Rising---it can't hold a candle to ArmA2.

OpFlash and ArmA Mk-I both had something we took for granted: that amazing in-game full mission editor. I, for one, just took it as a given that you could start the game, pop into the mission editor, whip up a scenario, click preview, and in 3 seconds be playing that mission. Mission creation in OpFlash/ArmA has always been a joy.

Enter (the) Dragon Rising: if (and that's a big IF) if I can even get the game to start (I have the black screen problem on startup), when it does eventually start, there is no in-game mission editor. The DR editor is a separate utility apart from the game. So, one starts the editor, makes the mission, saves it, then close the editor, launch the game, wait for the friggin' thing to load, then navigate several screen, wait for more loading, then try your mission. It's a total non-starter in my books and will probably mean few people will spend the required time to make complex missions. Why bother when you can have so much fun with a more powerful editor like in ArmA2? Mind you, I do wish ArmA had a built-in raw script editor like DR has. Oh well, we can't have everything now, can we?

Okay, so if that wasn't enough of a case to make you forget about DR, as you say, Stag, the new Secondary Ops Manager module just added a whole new level of awesomeness to ArmA2. We don't even have to script a thing to have some pretty good missions. Just plop in a squad, an SOM module, synchronize them, and that's it ... the software generates mission after mission with all sorts of nifty twists and turns. It also lets you call in air strikes, artillery, transport evacs, and air dropped re-supply. Dragon Rising doesn't come close.

Let's talk immersion: I get absolutely zero feeling of immersion in DR because all the vegetation is static. In ArmA, the grass moves, the trees sway, the birds chip and insects chitter, farm animals graze, dogs bark, and ground birds get flushed out of the underbrush to scare the livin' wits outta ya when you're tryin' to be all stealthy-like.

And I'm seeing this all in low-res with my 2.5-year old computer with 1GB of RAM. Later this week I'm upgrading to a new 'pooter and then you'll really hear me go on! Who knows, maybe I'll even have a few better things to say about DR, too.

I was confused at first, but after understanding the relationship between the ArmA/OFP developers/publishers, things make more sense.

Bohemia Interactive (BIS), the developers of the original OFP series, are also the developers of ArmA I and II.

Codemasters, the publishers of the original OFP, own the OFP trademark, but no longer publish BIS products.

So ArmA I and II are the true spiritual successors to OFP, while OFP2 mostly tacks on a known brand name to a new product.

I look at it with this analogy: OFP1 is to ArmA as Total Annihilation is to Supreme Commander. While there is talk about a Total Annihilation II in the works, that's just a name trademarked by the publisher. Everybody knows that Chris Taylor, the designer, was the magic behind the game, and Supreme Commander was the true sequel.

Home Fries,

Yes, you are correct in your explanation of the provenance of OFP, ArmA, and Dragon Rising. I find it rather offensive that Codemasters would call their game Operation Flashpoint simply because they had some sort of legal right to do so. In my books, it's just unethical to take the name of someone else's product, a product that is intimitely tied to the people who conceived, designed, and coded it, and slap that name on your product so that you can leech of the original product's fame. Obviously, since DR is such a fail, it just goes to show that once you go down the unethical road of basically stealing the identity of someone else's baby, you are doomed to make that sorts of decisions that end up giving birth to a hideous monster child that tries to pander to both the console and the PC crowd and yet satisfies neither. Okay, maybe I went a bit over the top there, but I'm still pissed at Codemasters for their blatant hijacking of the OpFlash name. Thankfully, great gameplay will always win the day and gamers aren't so dumb as to not know crap when they play it---no matter what name is on the product.

BTW, great sig line, HF ... part 1 :thumbsup:, part 2 :lol:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Dragon Rising was crap, but it IS NOT Operation Flashpoint. On its own I'd say it wasn't a bad game (Or won't be once Codemasters get their fingers out), but it does not bear comparison to ArmA2; It's just not in the same league.

I love the stressful situations you get into with ARMA/original OFP. A key element that made OFP great was that while other games were mostly still scripted and linear it had open plan maps that leave you wondering how the heck you are going to get of out of this sort of situation but still feeling like you have options. And you never have to do the same thing twice.

So it looks like the chappah hit a tree? Does the AI do that a lot or was it a fluke, it could happen to a human pilot quite easily.

Deacon and I went through the absolutely identical situation the other day. We were running from an ememy AI helo, in the woods, and it was SCARY and HILARIOUS at the same time. Deac was in front, me pulling up the rear. I was already wounded from an earlier pass. We were trying to get to the extraction zone and I was ziggin' an' a zaggin' and bullets were wizzing by my ears ... dirt was flying ... leaves were shredding and I was yelling at Deac to "GO! GO! GO!" and he was all like "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK I'M DOING!?" and then, on the helo's third or fourth pass ... KA-BLAMMO! the chopper ran into the trees just ahead of us and this thing comes crashing down right in front of Deac.

I was trembling with adrenaline as we inspected the wreckage, and then Deac's all "Get away from it, there's bound to be secondaries!" by which he meant secondary explosions, and I'm all "Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes!" as I start running trying to get away from it.

Seriously, it was some great high-adrenaline-filled fun and hilarity. I felt like Lou Costello to Deacon's Bud Abbott. :lol:

The next morning, Gail remarked to me, "You do know you yell a lot while you play that game, eh?"

"Yeah, you would too if you had a friggin' Russian Mi-24 helicopter spraying you with heavy machine gun rounds!" I retorted. To which she replied, "Oh." And that was the end of THAT conversation :lol:

Yeah, you would too if you had a friggin' Russian Mi-24 helicopter spraying you with heavy machine gun rounds. To which she replied, "Oh." And that was the end of THAT conversation :lol:

Awesome!!! There was a serious pucker factor going on.

Arma 2's emersion is pretty incredible. I was goofy off with secops and ambient battlefield. I could hear fighting several clicks away as I was trying to complete my mission. All of sudden two SU-34s come screaming overhead in formation. Just awesome!

Pretty awesome video. I've just never been able to wrap my head around all the keyboard inputs. I guess I've played flight sims too long to grasp anything other than stick, rudder, and engine controls.

Hey Stans, if you can play Pacific Fighters with its important keys such as "toggle chocks" that are not even mapped by default you can play ARMA. It is more about tactics and aiming than lots of keys. I think you would like it, there is a good emphasis on shooting well making a difference and body positions and fatigue matter. It's well done.

Pretty awesome video. I've just never been able to wrap my head around all the keyboard inputs. I guess I've played flight sims too long to grasp anything other than stick, rudder, and engine controls.

So fly a Venom. Or a Cobra. Or an Osprey, or Harrier, or F35, or C130 or Predator if that what blows up yer ballon.

There really is something for everyone in this game. :popcornsmilie:

Or you could map the keyboard inputs to your controllers...

Pickened zhe up zhe Kall of Duty: Modern Varfare Zwei on Tuezday, zhe releaze day. But I am schtill finishink the konstruction of mein new "Uber Maschine Zwei". Much delayz vith she outzide interuptionz vith mein dutiez az zhe "Maintenanze Liaizon" for our village. Mit zhe roofen leakz from zhe heavy rainz cauze by zhe incezzant schellink by zhe Tommiez und von direkt hit to zhe foundation of vone unit by zhe Ami bazooka. I muzt checken zhe houze's drainagen tubink for zhe damage from zhe Tommie schell blazt. At leazt zhe hole haz been already kreated by zhe artillery schell! It iz alvay zometink interruptink me vhen I am tryink to kreate zhe new "Uber Maschine Zwei"!!! The Allied Schwein!!! <_<

I didn't think DR was that bad when I played it on the 360 but then I felt Arma was a bug ridden mess and after playing the demo of Arma II I gave it a miss. Has it been fixed now?

Operation Flashpoint (OFP), OFP: Resistance, ArmA, and ArmA II were all messes when first released. Just as EAW was, as was Falcon 4, as was WWII Online, as was Dragon Rising and so on and so forth. All of the earlier titles I listed got patched up and became classics ... eventually.

So, even though I'm crapping all over DR, I'm sure it'll get patched, and patched again and become a heck of a title.

But yeah, to answer your question, good things are happening with ArmA II these days. I haven't had any bug problems of any significance (if any). Certainly no show stoppers.

Weird, I can't get ArmAII to run worth squat - its a complete slide-show on my one-year old machine. But OF:DR is a real gem and I've had 0-probs running it.

I happen to like OF:DR - I like the interface and the fact that its new is always nice. HOWEVER, CodeMa$ter$ have now announced no dedicated server support which IMHO right up there with MW2 and no dedicated server support - it sucks.