COMBATSIM Forum

Sidney ( Sid ) was 14 last week. He was a retired racing Greyhound. Most dogs race for about 3 years. He raced for 5 1/2. He made some owner, somewhere, a lot of money; but they took good care of him. When he came off the track he was sleek, well fed and with a shiny coat.

In his younger days he had an intense prey drive and went nuts at the sight of a cat or squirrel, yet toddlers could feed him cheerios from tiny outstretched fingers, pull on his ears and tail and he would never object.

His appetite was legendary. There were no leftovers in our house. Rings of mushrooms from the lawn, last nights party mix, leftover casseroles were all tasty to Sid. This was thankfully combined with a "cast iron" stomach.

About 6 months ago a tiny lump appeared on his forehead. It turned out to be an inoperable tumor. It grew larger but did not bother him............until yesterday......we know he is in pain.

In about an hour I'll take him for his last car ride to the vet.

When he wakes up, I pray he'll be in a big grassy field. His old tired muscles will be young and firm and able to drive him to 40mph again; his eyes will be bright and clear and his hearing keen......and he can run like the wind to meet his friends.

I can't express how sorry I am, Archie, about Sids moving on. But you're doing the right, albeit hard, thing in giving him rest. I've always believed that prolonging a loved pets life when the time comes, because of our own selfishness, is the action of a coward. My thoughts are with you, my friend.

Very sorry to hear about your pal Sidney, Arch.

Sounds like he was a real character with that cast-iron gut of his. Greyhounds are magnificent in every way ... fast as lightning, but just as happy to lay on the couch all day. I know two greyhounds at our local dog park and they are both marvelous.

You've done what's best for Sid by letting him go with dignity, free from pain and suffering.

No doubt he'll live forever in your heart.

This Silence

No quiet is so deep,

no stillness so empty

as that of the void left

by a companion who has gone

beyond the sunset.

The soft click of claws,

a scratch at the back door;

sounds of life

sounds of love,

now silent.

One day the memories

of our time together

may heal the hole in my heart . . .

But not today.

Take care, Archie.

Jim

Archie, I'm sorry to hear of this. I had to make that decision once, many years ago. I swore I'd never do it again and to this day I do not have a dog. Take care, my friend, you made the right decision and Sid is now out of pain.

Archie so sorry to hear about Sid mate that is the worst feeling ever , having let my last Lab go recently but you did the right thing he went out in style without pain

Sid in better days

tried to enter a picture but I can't :(

As a fellow dog lover, I would be happy to host any pic of Sid that you send me at;

Spectre -at- CombatSim.com

Replace -at- with the shifted 2 `at' symbol.

I had to make that decision, for much the same reason, a decade ago. It is a tough pill

to swallow for a much beloved dog. I may have to do so again fairly soon, and I dread

it.

Deepest condolences...

As a fellow dog lover, I would be happy to host any pic of Sid that you send me at;

Great minds, and dog lovers, think alike. I already sent Arch a PM to email me the pic of Sidney and I would post him on the forum.

Thanks guys. I was a wreck yesterday. Michelle and I brought him to the vet. Sid could go past a border collie like it was stopped and clear a 4ft high hedge like it wasn't even there....but I had to lift him into the car yesterday. He went to sleep in our arms.

Arch, I feel your pain, I really do............

Two years ago I noticed that our youngest cat, Einstein, was breathing a bit heavy so I took him over to the vet. "Just a bit of bronchitis", he said and gave him a shot that seemed to help. But in a couple of weeks I noticed that it was back. I took him back and this time had an x-ray taken that showed a spot on a lung.

Over that summer Marilyn and I took care of that cat as best we could, but in the end we had to take him in to be put to sleep. It broke both our hearts to do it, but we knew it was best for him, and like you we stayed with him until the end. On the way back, we stopped by the Animal Shelter and adopted a new cat. She was sitting in one of the last cages in the section all by herself (which meant that she was living out her Last days there). I picked her up and handed her to Marilyn, who looked at her and swears that the name "Duchess" popped into her head right then and there.

Over these two years she has become a joy, and while she doesn't completely fill the void, she does help.

My condolences, Archie.

I have a greyhound mix myself (though she's mixed with German Shepherd so she has brains to go with the speed), and her mannerisms are near identical to what you describe. She also had cancer, though our vet caught it through a fluke (we had her in the vet for something unrelated) while it was still small, and $20k of surgery and chemo later she is cancer free.

That said, I don't even want to think about how the mortality decision is going to feel in the future.

Sorry, I know your pain too, as many of us do. Dogs are so special to us. Children and best friends in one being.